General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tuckerton, New Jersey
United States
CityTri Racing
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 29s
Overall Rank = 5/27
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my moms for the night since she is only 20 minutes from the race site. Went to the packet pickup the day before mainly because they well let you swim part of the course. The water was clear and 60 degrees! Much warmer than I has anticipated. Kinda wished I had brought my sleeveless wet suit. Race morning I had my customary whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and large coffee. Sipped on nuun on the way to race site and before start. Got there pretty early so I also had a powerbar wafer 45 mins before start.
Event warmup:

It was a cold morning. I did not do any warming up other than putting on my wetsuit early to literally warm up and tried to stay in the sun.
Swim
  • 12m 34s
  • 850 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The two swimmers ahead of me were far enough ahead that I could not draft. The swim is my strong point though so I wasn't too concerned.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

My wetsuit got stuck on my garmin a bit but i dealt with that while running into transitions so its not that big of a deal.

Probably nothing. These were the two best transitions i have ever had! My T1 was the 2nd fastest!
Bike
  • 41m 8s
  • 12.87 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

3rd best female bike. This was my first race on my new tri bike so I wasn't too sure what to expect. I was passed by two male sprinters but no females on the bike. I went a little easier on the corners than I typically would.

I would of gone harder. I wish I had. I wasn't sure what to expect and I am training much longer rides that 12.87. I wish I had pushed it more. I think I can be a better biker than this.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

This was a great T2 for me. Had a little trouble with my right shoe but not a big deal. 5th overall.

Nothing.
Run
  • 26m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I hate running. Maybe one day I won't but today I do. I am training distance runs right now though so I shouldn't beat myself up too much about a sub par 5k. That girl behind me passed me with about .25 miles left to go in the race. I did not care and wished her a good job as she passed but today I wish I had pulled deeper and ran a little harder. I was so happy to overall podium that during my run I didnt care if it was 2nd or 3rd. All I wanted was to sit in the shade and drink water:)

I would of loved to have drank more water but that was out of my control. It's not like I would carry a water bottle for a 5k.
Post race
Warm down:

Had my mommy give me my water bottle:) Walked for a little bit and talked with my mom and step father.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to run fast!

Event comments:

Other people I am sure will complain about some things from this race but not me. If you are prepared and know the course then it is a fantastic first race of the year! I am glad it exists! I love to start my season early. The race director is great also.

I took about 12 minutes off my time from last year which was my first tri ever. I can not be unhappy with that. The field was surprisingly small this year. I will do this race every May!

3rd female and 5th overall!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:34 | 850 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 3/27
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: They announced that due to the chilly night before the water temp had gone down to 52! Glad I had my fullsleeve! They altered all 3 races swims before the start due to the cold water temperatures. The Half athletes had their swim cut in half. By the time my race started I am pretty sure the water had warmed up to at least 55 though. My course was supposed to be .35 miles and they attempted to cut it down to .25 but looking at the course I could tell it was way over that. Including the run to T1 my garmin showed the whole swim was .48 miles. The course was a triangle shape with buoys on the right. After the second buoy the water became incredibly shallow for about 100 yards or so and i "ran" a bit of it. This really got my heart rate up and was not ideal at all. Other than that it was a nice swim though. I started near the front on the inside and only had to kick one guy who kept swimming into me, but i quickly left him in my dust.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 52F / 11C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:08 | 12.87 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Overall: 9/27
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Very little wind. Mainly flat course. A few rough spots and wooden bridges to be careful of but nothing too major.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:53 | 03 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 17/27
Performance: Below average
Course: Ended up being 3 miles not 3.1 which is fine with me! I am most disappointed with my run, but that is nothing new. The course is part trail/sand but surprisingly that did not bother me as much as it typically does maybe because I knew it was coming. There was only one water station this year when last year there was 2 (the same one but you got to pass it twice). And when i was finally given a cup of water it literally had half a sip it in! I wanted to run back and get 3 more! It was probably about 68 degrees but felt like a hot summer day! The good part is at the turn around I could see where other runners were behind me. There was one girl about 25 seconds behind me and I knew she would catch me other than her I thought I would be safe staying in 3rd overall. Also after the water station I turned left and the volunteered yelled at me to go right. Thank you!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-05-04 10:03 AM

User image

Subject: Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by mrfranks_84
Views: 735 Posts: 1

2012-05-09 11:47 AM mrfranks_84

Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1703 Posts: 4

2012-05-08 3:20 PM rscheung

Started by tcj103
Views: 861 Posts: 1

2012-05-07 9:31 PM tcj103

Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon

Started by rscheung
Views: 1379 Posts: 2

2012-05-08 5:55 AM FELTGood

Started by stilgarnaib
Views: 664 Posts: 1

2012-05-07 11:46 AM stilgarnaib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 9, 2007
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers

date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.
date : November 7, 2006
author : ishmaelmuscat
Pursuing a challenge, which took a year to get down to mentally and a few weeks of actual training!

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.