General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts for Duathlon?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-04 9:19 PM

Subject: Tri shorts for Duathlon??
Maybe the dumbest question on here, but is it ok or Geeky to wear tri shorts in a duathlon. I have a pair of Orca 226's. Seems like I am "somewhat" wearing swim wear when there is no swimming. They fit great, have a good pad, and keep my quads tight. Am I just overanalyzing this??
Thanks, Barry

2015-05-04 11:10 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri shorts for Duathlon??
Originally posted by Burchib

Maybe the dumbest question on here, but is it ok or Geeky to wear tri shorts in a duathlon. I have a pair of Orca 226's. Seems like I am "somewhat" wearing swim wear when there is no swimming. They fit great, have a good pad, and keep my quads tight. Am I just overanalyzing this??
Thanks, Barry

The way I see it, tri shorts are BIKE SHORTS but with a thinner liner.

I have cyclist friends who wear only tri shorts for cycling.

I wear my tri shorts for running races too, mostly cause it's comfortable, and I like the kit.

No reason you can't do duathlons in them, in fact most people here do duathlons in their tri kits as well.
2015-05-05 4:34 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

Thanks for the input! I'm going to where my Tri shorts in the Duathlon
2015-05-25 7:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Perhaps the dumber question is the opposite, is it odd to wear bike shorts for a duathlon? I don't have any 'tri' shorts, but I do have a pair of cheap bike shorts. I've only ever had these one pair, so I have nothing to compare to for how well padded they are. I've run in them some but guess I need to really simulate a sprint duathlon to be sure. The padding wasn't uncomfortable, but I wonder about how bulgy it looks while running lol.

Now I am getting more into biking I probably could buy a second pair. But all the tri-specific ones seem very expensive compared to something like this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051GN4JC/ref=oh_aui_search_detai... I think that short is fine just would like thinner or no padding. Seems silly to spend double just to get less. Maybe I could carefully remove the pad from that one.

Edited by T-Stew 2015-05-25 7:56 AM
2015-05-26 12:30 AM
in reply to: T-Stew

User image

Extreme Veteran
Depends on the shorts I suppose!

I tried running in a pair of 400 mile bibs once, was my only short at the time.

The chafing was a nightmare!!

Every time I see someone standing odd their bike, I can tell if it's a bike short or a tri short.

That being said, if someone is paying that much attention to your in a race, consider it a compliment! :p
2015-06-12 10:04 AM
in reply to: T-Stew

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by T-Stew Perhaps the dumber question is the opposite, is it odd to wear bike shorts for a duathlon? I don't have any 'tri' shorts, but I do have a pair of cheap bike shorts. I've only ever had these one pair, so I have nothing to compare to for how well padded they are. I've run in them some but guess I need to really simulate a sprint duathlon to be sure. The padding wasn't uncomfortable, but I wonder about how bulgy it looks while running lol. Now I am getting more into biking I probably could buy a second pair. But all the tri-specific ones seem very expensive compared to something like this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051GN4JC/ref=oh_aui_search_detai... I think that short is fine just would like thinner or no padding. Seems silly to spend double just to get less. Maybe I could carefully remove the pad from that one.

Check out Sierra Trading Post (sierratradingpost.com).  They have tri shorts for a similar price to the Amazon bike shorts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts for Duathlon?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

cycle shorts vs tri shorts

Started by JC_Mom_of_3
Views: 1275 Posts: 7

2012-03-29 9:55 AM japarker24

short shorts tri suit?????

Started by GraceVanOwen
Views: 1001 Posts: 2

2011-06-13 1:01 PM Pashda

Shorts, shorts, shorts

Started by natcon96785
Views: 946 Posts: 2

2008-03-12 7:23 AM sgillen

Bike Shorts vs. Tri Shorts

Started by weedenft
Views: 803 Posts: 3

2006-06-13 9:35 PM StarGazer

Tri shorts vs Cycling shorts

Started by cobi
Views: 1591 Posts: 6

2005-02-28 12:16 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
comments : 0
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle