General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is Olympic distance first race realistic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-05 8:32 AM

User image

Covington
Subject: Is Olympic distance first race realistic?
Hi.

I spent most of my life reasonably fit playing all sports and could pretty much go out and put together a 5-K at will. In 2008 and 2009 I got into running consistently and ran a few 10-k's (50-55 min), 5 or 6 HM's (1:55 to 2:15) and did one mini-sprint triathlon. I went into a spring 2009 marathon (Country Music) undertrained and bonked hard. Walking the last 6 miles and finishing in 5 something. That coupled with some job hour changes led to me quitting running / endurance sports period for the past five years and getting way way out of shape and ballooning from 210 pounds up to my current 255 (I am 6'4")

I just want to get back into it and hope lurking around these forums and getting back into some community will be the trick. I am going to start out just working on building up my running and hope to mix in some cycling / swimming as cross training and then move into more balanced training through the winter and hopefully do a spring Olympic race. Swim and Bike are currently at zero. i could survive a 10k but it would hurt. Longest Run back so far was an LSD 5 miler in 60 minutes. Is an Olympic realistic?

Thanks
- Asher

2015-05-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: Shake*N*Bake

User image

Subject: RE: Is Olympic distance first race realistic?
I think that depends on when you have a race in mind. Is an Olympic distance in two weeks realistic? Probably not unless they had very generous cutoff times. Is one in September realistic--yes, if you stay on task and can handle the swim.
2015-05-05 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Sounds like you have a great background. Plan a realistic training lead time and finishing goal and you should be more than fine.
2015-05-05 9:17 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Although most folks start at with a sprint distance race, you'll also find a lot of first-timers doing Olys.

I'd suggest starting an Oly beginner level balanced plan now rather than waiting until later to start swimming and cycling.  Maybe take a look at the free 20-week run-focused Oly plan here on BT. 

It really doesn't help to just work on your strength, which at this point is running.  You need to work on your weaknesses as well (swimming and cycling).  

I don't know what your swimming background is, but a 1500M OW swim can be pretty daunting untess you're comfortable in the water.   In my experience, the swim sets the tone for the rest of the race.  You don't have to come out of the water in 1st place, but you don't want to be completely gassed to the point where it ruins the rest of your race. 

Whatever plan you come up with, the key is to be consistent.  If you start missing too many workouts, then it's going to feel like you're starting over all the time.

Good luck with your training.

Mark

2015-05-05 9:46 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

With your background and the time between now and next Spring, you should have no problem getting ready for an Oly.  Start building your base and comfort level now, especially if you need to work on swimming form.  You should also be able to get back to your 210-215 weight in that amount of time by making a reasonable effort to watch your intake.  (Coming from a 6'4", 225 lbs guy who topped out at 284 lbs before starting triathlon).

2015-05-05 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whether it's realistic depends on your fitness going into the race.

If you're able to do half marathons and can bike 100 miles, and take part in masters swimming, then the distance of an olympic will be a piece of cake.

Putting them together to have as competitive of a race as possible might be a little difficult, but it's definitely not unrealistic to do it.

I've known plenty of people whose first and only triathlon was a HIM or IM distance race.

That all being said, doing a sprint first is a fantastic idea.

They're short, super fun, and allows you to finesse some stuff like transition, see what doing all three in a row in a race environment really feels like etc. in a cheaper race that will be over sooner!

Good luck!

2015-05-05 12:43 PM

, Idaho
Given where you are:
- Give yourself at least 16 weeks of training ahead of the Olympic. 20+ weeks would be better.
- A lot of people swim 2x per week, I think 3x is minimum to get the yards needed. Make sure you build your swim workouts over the weeks to where you can handle a workout that's around 2500 yards
- You'll want to bike 3x per week minimum. Get biking as much as possible. In my opinion, you'll want to get in a few 40-60 mile rides a few weeks before the race.
- Keep running a lot, but gauge how your body is responding to everything to avoid injury. Run a lot. Low intensity is very important. There are a lot of good ideas on the web about how to approach running. I follow the principles in The BarryP Plan.
- If you want to focus on running, do that, but don't view Biking and Swimming as cross-training. Create a "run-focused" plan.

Good Luck! Most of my friends who have completed a Triathlon started with an Olympic.
2015-05-05 12:54 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Covington
Originally posted by happyscientist

I think that depends on when you have a race in mind. Is an Olympic distance in two weeks realistic? Probably not unless they had very generous cutoff times. Is one in September realistic--yes, if you stay on task and can handle the swim.

was thinking Spring of 2016
2015-05-05 12:56 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Covington
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Although most folks start at with a sprint distance race, you'll also find a lot of first-timers doing Olys.

I'd suggest starting an Oly beginner level balanced plan now rather than waiting until later to start swimming and cycling.  Maybe take a look at the free 20-week run-focused Oly plan here on BT. 

It really doesn't help to just work on your strength, which at this point is running.  You need to work on your weaknesses as well (swimming and cycling).  

I don't know what your swimming background is, but a 1500M OW swim can be pretty daunting untess you're comfortable in the water.   In my experience, the swim sets the tone for the rest of the race.  You don't have to come out of the water in 1st place, but you don't want to be completely gassed to the point where it ruins the rest of your race. 

Whatever plan you come up with, the key is to be consistent.  If you start missing too many workouts, then it's going to feel like you're starting over all the time.

Good luck with your training.

Mark

makes total sense. thanks for the advice
2015-05-05 6:58 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Maybe i missed something on how long you plan to train for ? regardless an Oly is a pretty short race and if you put the time and commitment into it than I'm sure you will be fine.
2015-05-05 7:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hook'em

With your background and the time between now and next Spring, you should have no problem getting ready for an Oly.  Start building your base and comfort level now, especially if you need to work on swimming form.  You should also be able to get back to your 210-215 weight in that amount of time by making a reasonable effort to watch your intake.  (Coming from a 6'4", 225 lbs guy who topped out at 284 lbs before starting triathlon).

^^^ Yep

Still.....with your Oly basically being a year from now, you might as well throw in a Fall Sprint race just for the hell of it.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-05-05 7:24 PM

2015-05-05 7:40 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Yes - You can do it. Sign up for a race, 3 months out and work backward. Just manage your expectations and give yourself enough time to train... 3 months should be enough, and it'll force you to put the time in. It'll be the best experience you could imagine crossing that finish line. Just remember the "why"? You want to get fit and loose weight. that will happen if you complete triathlons and build into your lifestyle.

Get after it!

Cheers,

Nick
2015-05-06 8:11 AM
in reply to: NickCicerchi

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
So your goal would be to "do" an Olympic next year. That's beyond realistic.

Maybe up your goals a little? Do some trial runs, like measuring your swim time over 500 meters, your bike time over 5 miles and your run time over 2 miles in training using relatively light effort (i.e. you're exercising but not dying). Use those times to predict your Oly time, and make that your target (thus relatively light effort that will translate into a moderate race effort over longer distance)

That would be a good goal. And its realistic.
2015-05-06 8:19 AM
in reply to: #5113153

User image

Next spring is very reasonable to do an Olympic. You could even do one this fall. But I would argue that you might want to do a shorter distance race before you do your first Olympic. Just to get a feel for the transitions and logistics in a triathlon.

It's a great sport- have fun.
2015-05-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I agree with a lot of the advice above.  You should look for a sprint Sprint triathlon or two for later this year.  I completed my 1st sprint tri in April 2004 and my 1st Oly 2 months later, all on a 37 lb MTB.

I recently used myfitnesspal to lose 15 lbs in 6 weeks and have another 5 to go before my race in early June.  I'd recommend using it to help track your consumption and expenditures of calories, it'll really help.

It's all about having a good time and the results are the icing on the cake!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is Olympic distance first race realistic? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I crazy? Realistic or pushing to hard

Started by JRowe81
Views: 708 Posts: 4

2009-09-11 5:45 AM JRowe81

First Olympic distance tri

Started by Elly
Views: 1370 Posts: 10

2008-04-30 1:07 PM Shoeless

Am I being realistic? Pages: 1 2

Started by Pete10
Views: 2292 Posts: 44

2007-07-02 12:26 AM madcow

First Olympic Distance

Started by rfergus5
Views: 782 Posts: 7

2005-08-15 9:16 AM sabaka

First Olympic distance tri?

Started by kimber
Views: 930 Posts: 6

2004-03-24 1:50 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.