General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week before HM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-05 6:56 PM

Bismarck, ND
Subject: Week before HM
I am competing in a HM this weekend. This is nothing new for me but I do have a time goal that is a bit of a stretch.

I have been following a HIM training program (which is new for me). I was on week 6 of that but I was running longer runs in the weekend than what the plan called for to coincide with the HM training. Last week was suppose to be my recovery week but I skipped that week so this week could be my recovery week.

My question/concern is that I am TIRED. I am having problems getting my heart rate under control. I am pretty sure it is "over training" along with dehydration. I thought maybe it was from the temp heating up. But, today I ran a very slow 4.5 miles. A pace that I could do 20 miles easily and I had to walk the hills because I couldn't get my HR down. My plan was to ride 45 min along with an easy swim tomorrow. Thursday easy 20-30 min run and maybe swim (I missed a couple swim workouts) and then do yogo Friday morning. After my run today, I am concerned I won't even be able to make the whole 13.1 not alone get even close to my time goal.

Any suggestions?

2015-05-05 7:56 PM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Week before HM
What is and has been your weekly volume? Despite a fair amount of press about overtraining I suspect few folks get into the realm of being at risk. Having said that, it doesn't mean that you might not just be really taxed by your recent training or mentally drained. If this is the case you have plenty of time rest and get back to right before a 2.5 hour (or whatever) effort this weekend.
2015-05-05 8:04 PM
in reply to: #5113300

Was it hot today?
2015-05-05 10:13 PM
in reply to: #5113323

Bismarck, ND
It was "hot" today, in the 80's. I really don't know what my weekly totals are. I think it is about 7-10 hours. 3 days/discipline. Today I ran an 11:30/min mile. I usually run 10:00/mm on regular training days. I was hoping for a sub 2 hour HM.

But, I will get winded at times just going up a flight of stairs. I know I am dehydrated. I am doing everything I can to get fluid in. I work in an OR so this isn't as easy as it sounds.
2015-05-05 11:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

If you are early in the plan you are probably building some cycling base.  This can make for some tired legs and additional general fatigue.  I'm in week 15 of a 20 week HIM plan and I have just had to adjust my open running expectations.  Before starting into the plan I was on a more run focus and I feel much heavier now when I run.  It is all a compromise.

I have been trying to get additional rest and hydrate well.  I also find I run better when I throw a few extra short easy runs in during the week.  I tend to tighten up after riding and the easy runs help keep me loose.

2015-05-06 5:18 AM
in reply to: #5113357

Bismarck, ND
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironm...

This is the plan that I have been using but adding slightly longer runs on the weekend. Popracer, you have a good point. I have never biked the distances before so I think that along with the running has been a lot.

There isn't anything I can do about the race this weekend, but what do you think about the plan. Should it be "enough" to feel fairly confident in a HIM?

2015-05-06 9:37 PM

It 'could' have been the heat if you're not used to it. The hotter it gets, the slower you'll get.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week before HM Rss Feed