General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycleops fluid 2 trainer question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-06 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: cycleops fluid 2 trainer question
I was just given an older cycleops fluid 2 trainer from a friend and rode it for the first time last night. I previously have been riding on a cycleops mag trainer and was able to spin it out in the hardest gear with no real problem.

Last night I did an FTP test on the fluid trainer and was able to put my bike in my hardest gear and hold around 100 cadence for the 20 minute test. Based on reviews and what people have said it sounds like my unit is either out of oil or the oil has broken down and needs to be replaced.

First question, can someone confirm that I should not be able to hold the hardest gear for 20 minutes on this trainer? I am no monster cyclist and my FTP on a computrainer comes in around 220 watts.

Second, is there a method to replace the oil in my unit or do I have to go through cycleops for that?

Thanks,

2015-05-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: cycleops fluid 2 trainer question
Originally posted by clemson05

I was just given an older cycleops fluid 2 trainer from a friend and rode it for the first time last night. I previously have been riding on a cycleops mag trainer and was able to spin it out in the hardest gear with no real problem.

Last night I did an FTP test on the fluid trainer and was able to put my bike in my hardest gear and hold around 100 cadence for the 20 minute test. Based on reviews and what people have said it sounds like my unit is either out of oil or the oil has broken down and needs to be replaced.

First question, can someone confirm that I should not be able to hold the hardest gear for 20 minutes on this trainer? I am no monster cyclist and my FTP on a computrainer comes in around 220 watts.

Second, is there a method to replace the oil in my unit or do I have to go through cycleops for that?

Thanks,

I do not have a cycleops fluid trainer but I do have a fluid trainer. There is no way I can hold anywhere near that in the highest gear.

My FTP is over 300 watts, and there are people a lot stronger than me that can not hold 100 for 20 minutes in top gear.

I would say there is something wrong with the trainer. I know several year back the Cycle-ops trainers had issues with leaking, if this is one of those units you may not have any (or enough) fluid in the housing.

Edited by mike761 2015-05-06 8:39 AM
2015-05-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

Did you try adjusting the resistance or tightening the fly wheel?  Which ever that is called.

2015-05-06 8:58 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Veteran
I tightened the wheel as described in the manual. I tightened until the wheel hit the roller and then turned 2 more full turns and locked the wheel into place. There is no slipping on the roller and the tire is at 100 PSI.
2015-05-06 9:35 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Yes, you "should not be able to hold the hardest gear for 20 minutes on this trainer". A FTP of 220W should mean an average speed of around 18 to 19 mph depending on the curve specifics as the COF2 curve is suppose to be similar to but not the same as the KK (but not as consistent among units).

One way to check your tension is to do a coast-down check.  I have a KK fluid trainer and set it up so that when I first get on and coast-down from 20 mph it should take ~11.5 to 12 seconds.  You can follow a similar setup for a coast down and see how it goes from there.  If you can't get that or can and can still max gear at this setting then there is something wrong with the resistance unit.  You can call CO and see if they will replace it with an exchange or discounted (it's suppose to be a sealed unit).

2015-05-06 9:38 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Sure sounds like there is a problem with the unit.  Cyclops has great customer service.  I had a used Fluid 2 from craigslist which started leaking after riding on it for a year or so - Cyclops sent me a replacement unit for $70 or so (even with the disclosure of the unit being used).  I have heard of others getting replacement units for free.  I'd contact them, explain the situation and she what they will do to get you training again.

2015-05-06 10:50 AM

User image

Oakville

I received a replacement fluid unit from Cycleops last year and found that the warm up period was significantly longer than for the original unit.

I have a Powertap and was surprised at how long it takes to stabilize power.  Basically for the first 10 minutes or so of warm-up, to hold 150 watts I'm in one of the higher gears.

Even after 20 minutes there is still a little drift but not nearly as significant at that point. 

I would think by the end of your 20 minute test, the fluid would have stabilized and you would have had to change gears.  It sounds like you likely do have a problem with the unit.

Give Cycleops a call.  Their customer service is excellent.  They sent me a replacement unit by courier no questions asked.

2015-05-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the help. I called Cycleops and they are shipping me a replacement unit, no questions asked. 5 Stars for cycleops customer service!
2015-05-07 5:31 AM

User image

Glad you've sorted your problem! I was a bit late. I have this exact trainer (I think..) and there is no way I could hold max gear... I can't even get close!
2015-05-07 12:12 PM
in reply to: engima

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by engima

Glad you've sorted your problem! I was a bit late. I have this exact trainer (I think..) and there is no way I could hold max gear... I can't even get close!

Mine is the same, I think it might be filled with maple syrup. I normally keep it in the big ring on the road but on the trainer I am solidly in the smaller chain ring. To put it into the highest gear I am really really pushing it and cant maintain that pace for very long.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycleops fluid 2 trainer question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to...Cycleops Fluid trainer

Started by Blueraiderzone
Views: 4131 Posts: 15

2012-08-22 10:43 AM Blueraiderzone

Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer question

Started by fireplug30
Views: 953 Posts: 4

2009-12-30 11:32 AM randym

CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer

Started by JeffIrvin
Views: 1153 Posts: 4

2009-11-30 6:47 AM krisko

CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer

Started by KirkD
Views: 813 Posts: 10

2009-09-25 3:54 PM dgunthert

Cycleops Fluid trainer tips?

Started by JBrashear
Views: 1295 Posts: 11

2008-05-12 1:00 PM aggiecatcher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.