General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainerroad plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-06 2:54 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Trainerroad plan
I've been doing a trainerroad sustained power build plan(low volume) for about 7 weeks now. Stick to it pretty religiously. It typically entails 2 extremely hard high intensity 1 hr rides, 1 lower intensity aerobic hour ride, 1 long(2 hr) fairly hard ride each week. Got to wondering if this may be too much high intensity work since the plan doesn't factor in swimming and running since it is strictly a bike plan. What do you think? Has anybody else used this plan?

2015-05-06 3:04 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Trainerroad plan

I did the 40k TT plan (similar structure and weekly TSS to your plan) last spring building to my Olympic tri, and I'll admit it was too much intensity considering the 1x/week tempo run and 2x/week masters swim sessions.  I wound up just getting in what I could and made sure I did a couple of really hard cycling weeks in the 3-4 weeks before the race.

2015-05-06 5:19 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I've done power build plans I the past and had a hard time getting in any run volume as I'll start to breakdown, it's usually a winter/early spring plan for me where the run/swim are in maintenance/stagnant mode.   If using as part of a tri training program, you need to look at the aspects for the type of race you're training for and the overall training stress on the body.  Checkout Training Stress Score, "TSS", hopefully others will better communicate on that aspect. 

2015-05-06 5:51 PM

User image

Great question. We've actually had a lot of great feedback and success from other triathletes with the Build plan's as they are. However, the Build plans weren’t built specifically for triathletes, and if training stress is an issue for an athlete, I'd recommend cutting out the additional workout on Wednesday that comes in weeks 5-7. This will tone back the TSS a bit and open up some training volume for swimming and running, while still maintaining a solid ramp in TSS so that the Build can be effective.

I'd be more than happy to discuss more with you if you'd like - feel free to DM me your email and we can chat more.

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
2015-05-06 9:22 PM

Two hard sessions can be difficult if you're also doing a hard run. You've got to listen to your body and if your body is telling you it's too much, than it probably is. Make some adjustments, replace that second hard workout with another workout that is a bit less in the TSS and see how you feel.
2015-05-07 11:05 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Can anyone give me any guidance on how the TSS works. I know what it is but just not sure how its supposed to be incorporated into my weekly plan. Is there a certain total score that I am supposed to hit each week? Is the goal to increase that number week to week? How do you use it for your training?

2015-05-07 11:29 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mchadcota2 I've been doing a trainerroad sustained power build plan(low volume) for about 7 weeks now. Stick to it pretty religiously. It typically entails 2 extremely hard high intensity 1 hr rides, 1 lower intensity aerobic hour ride, 1 long(2 hr) fairly hard ride each week. Got to wondering if this may be too much high intensity work since the plan doesn't factor in swimming and running since it is strictly a bike plan. What do you think? Has anybody else used this plan?

Can you describe the workouts in more detail for a week that would represent this?

2015-05-07 3:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

nashville, Tennessee
Absolutely. This week. Tuesday-W/U then 8 x 3 min intervals at 120%FTP w/ 3 min recoveries. (Very tough for me) Wed-60 min at 50-80 % FTP, Thursday- 4 x 8 min at 105%FTP with 1.5 min recovery, Saturday- 2hr 15 min. 4 x 18 min intervals at 80-100 % FTP. Running and swimming the other days. I am training for Olympic distance. Thanks for any input. I want to throw a hard run in there but not sure where to fit it.
2015-05-07 3:34 PM

User image

TSS is your Training Stress Score. It's effected by both the intensity and the volume of your training. TSS accumulation per week varies greatly from athlete to athlete for many reasons, such as time to train, skill/fitness level, lifestyle, goals, etc. During the Build phase of training it's typical to see TSS increase from week to week in a steady, consistent fashion. This isn't the case for all Specialty phases of training, though.

If you check out the TR Build plans, you'll notice TSS increases each week, with rest or taper weeks on the 4th and 8th weeks: https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/157-sustained-power-build-...

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
2015-05-08 7:32 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mchadcota2 Absolutely. This week. Tuesday-W/U then 8 x 3 min intervals at 120%FTP w/ 3 min recoveries. (Very tough for me) Wed-60 min at 50-80 % FTP, Thursday- 4 x 8 min at 105%FTP with 1.5 min recovery, Saturday- 2hr 15 min. 4 x 18 min intervals at 80-100 % FTP. Running and swimming the other days. I am training for Olympic distance. Thanks for any input. I want to throw a hard run in there but not sure where to fit it.

Ok, yeah, that helps quite a bit. Those are some very hard workouts, especially the first two! Doing all of these every week would be best in a heavy bike focused time period. Both swimming and running would come down in volume and intensity. Running especially would be all easy plus strides at times. Rotating the emphasis can be tough to deal with as the other one or two sports may slip some in there, but it is a way some very fast people got there. It's not always in balance all throughout the year. Particularly with some light work in there, the fall-off from the peak right after the push takes longer than the initial building up. The fun part is in figuring out how much and how long to emphasize a particular sport in this manner. It's really not easy seeing the hard work slipping some as the emphasis changes to something else. Then as you get closer to your main race (or races) you'll be more balanced.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainerroad plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Planning workouts with trainerroad

Started by mchadcota2
Views: 490 Posts: 2

2015-03-16 2:38 PM trevorderuise

Following a plan when forced to TrainerRoad.

Started by glayher
Views: 467 Posts: 2

2013-07-28 3:25 PM rrr8400

Which TrainerRoad plan?

Started by m2tx
Views: 682 Posts: 1

2013-04-11 12:38 PM m2tx

An Ode to TrainerRoad and a planning question

Started by mscotthall
Views: 970 Posts: 2

2012-12-20 11:43 AM rotagog

jorge's plan in trainerroad

Started by mrbeachbum2
Views: 1227 Posts: 4

2012-11-05 9:08 AM Donto
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.