General Discussion Triathlon Talk » August 16 belle isle tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-07 7:14 AM

Subject: August 16 belle isle tri
Anyone doing it? This is my first tri and was wondering what I should expect!!

2015-05-07 10:32 AM
in reply to: Cmhughes1985

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: RE: August 16 belle isle tri
Is it a 3 Disciplines race?
2015-05-08 1:35 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

Is it a 3 Disciplines race?

Not 3 Disciplines. It's an Epic Races event, along with another race organization.

Last year was the first year it was held, and I had heard good things. Similar to the 3 Disciplines races at Belle Isle .. it's a fast swim course, pancake flat bike and run (with strong winds sometimes on the bike). A great place for your first tri.
2015-06-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: Cmhughes1985

I registered here to throw in my input, I did the Belle Isle tri last year. Finished second in my AG (out of 4). It was a really fun race. I love Belle Isle and this is a pretty good way to highlight the island.

Swim: Can be a pretty good current. Assuming the same swim course as last year, once you make the final turn, cut HARD to the left, or you will be swept downstream. I got a sinus infection last year shortly after the race, if you are susceptible I recommend a nose plug.

Bike: Bring your fast bike. This course is pretty much all flat. There is a slight rise towards the end but it is pretty much flat, tends to be a tailwind on the backstretch. I hit 26mph easily on the backstretch on a road bike with no aero parts. Three loop course through a hot transition area.

Run: Two loops, flat, no big deal. Water in two places.

This is a really fun race. I think the Age Group race started at 9am last year which was a little bit of a bummer. It is a two day race this year though. Should be fun, they have a para race and I think a draft-legal race as well which would be fun to watch. I am not racing it this year as I am doing the Titanium in GR and want to be fresh.

Any questions let me know.
2015-06-23 8:59 PM
in reply to: beercity

I am seriously considering trying do do this event. I am doing the Border to Border Triathlon in late July which is also on Belle Isle. I'm new to swimming and running so I am only at the super-sprint level (barely that!) If I do ok with the Border to Border 400m swim then I might try the August 16 one with the 750m swim.
I've only done one tri and it was a super sprint but I absolutely loved it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » August 16 belle isle tri Rss Feed