General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How can I best get back to where I was ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-07 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: How can I best get back to where I was ?

Almost 9 months ago I gave birth to this little nugget:

The year before I was pregnant I had a great running year. I PR'd every distance, including the marathon at 3:48 and the half at 1:45. I ran throughout most of my pregnancy and started back again after I got the all clear at 6 weeks.

I've been running about 25 mpw consistently - which includes 1 10-11 mi run.

My goal is to qualify for Boston. I'll need a 3:40 to do so (I actually need a 3:35 now, but I'll be 35 years old in two years and probably won't be ready to BQ attempt by then).... so I need to get back to where I was and then get a little faster What should I be doing to work towards getting there? I'm at/ a little below my pre pregnancy weight (not distributed the same way, but there anyhow!) but I could stand to lose another 5-7. I haven't started going speedwork yet. I'm doing a half September (probably using Higdon's Advanced Half plan), which I think should be a good gauge of where I am.

(I am trying to cut myself a break but you all know how runners/ triathletes think )

Edited by trishie 2015-05-07 2:06 PM

2015-05-07 2:50 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: How can I best get back to where I was ?

I really am not sure - you're much faster than me - but i wanted to chime in and tell you the little nugget is adorable! 

Consistently getting back to running is probably the best first step! And tackling some shorter race distances which you are doing - 

I know how you think (i am in that boat too) but it's still super important not to jump into too much too soon. It seems like you are taking a long view so why not create a bit of a road map with intermediate steps - PR's or paces to achieve or plans to try over training cycles that should help you get there?

Plus, don't forget  to race for fun too ... :D 

2015-05-07 4:11 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

One of the pieces of advice I frequently give personal training clients and workplace wellness class participants is to train based on where they're at, not based on where they used to be or where they want to go.  I frequently see middle aged men who wrestled or ran cross country in high school who tried to jump back into training the way they did 20-30 years ago.  Guess what?  They usually hurt themselves.

The same applies to you, but the adjustments to your program aren't as drastic.  Just be honest with yourself regarding what your body can currently handle, and overreach that slightly.  You can get back to where you were, but it won't happen in a week.

2015-05-07 4:31 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

25 mpw is a good start. I would work on building volume first. Maybe I would put in a progression or a tempo run for one or two runs per week depending on how many days per week I was running. I'd shoot for ideally 6 days per week, and would probably do 2 workouts where I ran faster, but I would lay off trackwork/speedwork until I got near the volume that I think I needed for a BQ. Once I got to the volume I think I needed, I like the Hansons or Daniels workouts for speedwork, but as far as an entire plan goes, I am partial to Pfitzinger.

Setting interim goals are great, and your plan of setting a goal for a HM sounds good to me.
2015-05-07 4:37 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest
One of the pieces of advice I frequently give personal training clients and workplace wellness class participants is to train based on where they're at, not based on where they used to be or where they want to go.  

Very true.

I started running well after I had kids, so I never went through the post-baby return to running thing. But I have seen many women do this, and everyone is different. Every pregnancy is different too.

I am a bit older now and going through some other body changes-- all I can say is don't fight it, be patient, and it will come back.
2015-05-08 12:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Funny enough, women seem to do EXTREMELY well after a pregnancy, dunno if it's cause of the forced break in athletes that tend to push push push or what.

I'd keep slowly upping that base up to where it used to be, and once you have your mileage where it needs to be, start adding in some quality speedwork.

Take your time, lots of time to Boston qualify, and we don't want you overdoing it and getting set back by an injury!!

You're fresh and healthy, stay that way!

2015-05-08 8:26 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by TriMyBest One of the pieces of advice I frequently give personal training clients and workplace wellness class participants is to train based on where they're at, not based on where they used to be or where they want to go.  
Very true. I started running well after I had kids, so I never went through the post-baby return to running thing. But I have seen many women do this, and everyone is different. Every pregnancy is different too. I am a bit older now and going through some other body changes-- all I can say is don't fight it, be patient, and it will come back.

Definitely. Your training is always based on where you're currently at. What you could (and should) do now is look more at running in general. Keep getting the miles back in. Also work in some faster running as you are able. Don't have to kill yourself with it, but some is good (and again, based on where you're currently at). Since you're at 25 mpw, I would actually back down on that long run for now and redistribute the miles elsewhere if you can. That one alone is 40-45% of your weekly total. If your other runs are building up then it might be ok as it'd be temporary, but that size long run is more suited for a total that's at least in the mid-30's.

And while you're building up your running again, you can keep track of progress with some shorter races. Use something like Daniels or McMillan charts to see when the shorter races are getting near an equivalent marathon time and then start making your push out for the longer one when you feel up for it.

2015-05-08 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
http://danellekabush.com

She won Xterra Canada when her youngest was 10 weeks old.

Also a former D1 runner.
2015-05-08 10:16 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Just to echo what's been said, you do the same thing you did before.  Build gradually and use volume, frequency and intensity in varying combinations to elicit adaptations from your body.  Getting back to where you were will likely come quicker than it did to get there the first time (but may still frustrate you initially because it may still take some time).  As others noted, train based on where you are now and not where you were or where you think you should be.

And congrats on the little nugget! She is a cutie!

2015-05-11 2:40 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro
Burbs

Thank you all for the good advice!

Two more questions:

1. I'm following Hal Higdon's Advanced HM plan. I'm not sure what to use for my paces for the workouts like 4 x 800 at 10K pace/ 8 x 400 at 5K pace. Suggestions?

2. The 12 week plan starts the end of the June for me. Good idea to just repeat, with some variation, the first couple weeks of the plan until it "officially" starts? The first week of the plan looks like this:

3 mi run

6 x hill

4 mi run

40 min tempo

rest

3 mi run

90 min run

2015-05-11 2:48 PM
in reply to: #5113766

User image

Base the working on what 5k and 10k paces you think you could do today. If you're not sure start off of a bit slower and work up to it. Also, you should be able to do all the repeats without slowing down- if you can't maintain the pace through the workout then you started too fast.

Also be careful as you ease into the workouts- ligaments and studs shift around and you will want to make sure your body can handle it. I know this isn't your first time returning from pregnancy, but give your body the time it needs to adjust. With that in mind, stretching out the program a bit first with workouts every other week, then every week could work - since you have the extra time.

2015-05-11 2:49 PM

Master
Northern IL

Have you been doing any running that's faster than easy?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How can I best get back to where I was ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Kick: good on side & back but no good on stomach

Started by mgalanter
Views: 1090 Posts: 4

2011-03-18 7:21 AM csmnlm

Am I getting better at cycling...

Started by getfitfast
Views: 2371 Posts: 11

2011-02-07 10:07 AM Pacific John

Am I getting a good deal?

Started by steveseer
Views: 1034 Posts: 3

2011-01-13 8:05 AM steveseer

best training approach to back to back sprint Tri's

Started by dbosanko
Views: 1058 Posts: 4

2011-01-09 4:46 PM dbosanko

long runs back to back -better alternatives

Started by hannahs
Views: 976 Posts: 9

2007-07-11 4:54 PM hannahs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.