General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yay! Pre-race illness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-08 11:05 AM

Subject: Yay! Pre-race illness
I have caught some sort of respiratory bug (very annoying and inconvenient). Five weeks out from race. Supposed to do 60 mile bike and 14 mile run this weekend. Had to take two whole days off of training this week. Next week is my "easy" week. I am thinking of substituting my easy bike and run this weekend since I'm still not 100% then doing these two harder workouts next week. That seems better than doing nothing at all. Any thoughts on how this will ultimately impact training? Thanks!

2015-05-08 11:32 AM
in reply to: SenseiDenise

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Yay! Pre-race illness

Originally posted by SenseiDenise I have caught some sort of respiratory bug (very annoying and inconvenient). Five weeks out from race. Supposed to do 60 mile bike and 14 mile run this weekend. Had to take two whole days off of training this week. Next week is my "easy" week. I am thinking of substituting my easy bike and run this weekend since I'm still not 100% then doing these two harder workouts next week. That seems better than doing nothing at all. Any thoughts on how this will ultimately impact training? Thanks!

Well, if it was me, I'd just turn this into my recovery week then hit the next three weeks hard before starting into taper.  You've already lost a few days and if you are not feeling 100% riding 60 and running 14 might not be in your best interest.

I'm doing the same race and am starting to freak out a bit.   

2015-05-08 1:31 PM
in reply to: popsracer

That was kind of my feeling, recover this weekend then hit it hard next week. Might just bike on the trainer this weekend, avoid the great outdoors and the pollen, etc. I have to say this plan I'm following doesn't seem to have much of a taper. The last weekend before the race I am supposed to bike 60 again and run another 14 miles. Does that sound right?

Let's freak out together. I'm still trying to figure out what, if anything I'm going to eat while on the bike. Maybe we can start a freak-out thread.
2015-05-08 2:03 PM
in reply to: SenseiDenise

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by SenseiDenise That was kind of my feeling, recover this weekend then hit it hard next week. Might just bike on the trainer this weekend, avoid the great outdoors and the pollen, etc. I have to say this plan I'm following doesn't seem to have much of a taper. The last weekend before the race I am supposed to bike 60 again and run another 14 miles. Does that sound right? Let's freak out together. I'm still trying to figure out what, if anything I'm going to eat while on the bike. Maybe we can start a freak-out thread.

No way would I put in an effort like that a week before the race.  Certainly not a 14 mile run.  One week out will not gain you any additional fitness for the race and you risk aches, pains, injury that just are not worth it.  The hay is in the barn at that point and its best to start resting up.  If you have been training hard over the months then you probably have a fair amount of cumulative fatigue that takes some time to recharge from.

As far as eating on the bike, you should be practicing that on your long rides and runs.  You should try to consume something as its a long day.  I prefer gels because it is easy to measure the amount of calories you are consuming and for me they go down well.  I use a 5 ounce flask and dilute with a little water.  Everyone is different as to what they can tolerate while riding and running.  Trial and error is about the only way to go about it.  Use the time now to figure it out as it can make or break your race.

2015-05-08 5:22 PM
in reply to: popsracer

That's what I was thinking when I was looking over the remaining training time. I'll change some stuff around the last couple of training weeks. Like you said, work should be done by then. Thanks for your help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yay! Pre-race illness Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training

Started by Tracker09
Views: 883 Posts: 3

2013-04-17 2:32 PM Tracker09

Pre pre planning for an IM

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1001 Posts: 12

2008-08-25 7:39 PM Rogillio

Pre-Race Report from IMWI

Started by Steve-
Views: 1148 Posts: 15

2005-09-28 9:21 PM Steve-

IMCDA Pre-Race Talk

Started by Rich Strauss
Views: 857 Posts: 4

2005-06-15 5:27 PM Rich Strauss

Strauss IMAZ Pre-Race Talk, Fri, 9am @ swim start

Started by Rich Strauss
Views: 954 Posts: 1

2005-03-23 7:50 PM Rich Strauss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pre-diabetes is a very common and treatable condition. Through your physical activity and appropriate diet choices, you have already taken many steps to delay or avoid progression to type 2 diabetes.

date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 1
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : May 1, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Exercise performance will invariably be negatively affected. Add to this the feelings of malaise and weakness and one might wonder, “Why bother?”

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
What most athletes forget to realize is that all the training in the world will go down the toilet if the pacing or the nutrition plan isn�t executed properly.