Johnson County Park & Recreation District
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 44s
Overall Rank = 6/55
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

This race was not in my plans. I much prefer tri's because I love swimming. But sometimes it's good to move out of your comfort zone. The race is put on by Johnson County Parks & Recs who always do a great job. I put my alarm for 5:00, looked at hour by hour weather, it was still raining at my place, only 20 minutes from the race so I knew it would be wet.

I went ahead and packed my stuff (I didn't pack a thing the night before). I figured I could roll in around 6:30 and still be good, sure enough that was the case. You can sign up race morning which is VERY NICE and accommodating, thank you JCPR!

Event warmup:

Warmup? Ha, I didn't...I just walked around talking to some of my friends from JCPR and LBS I used the first 5K as my warm up.
Run
  • 23m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off nice and slow. Being my first Duathlon I figured I'd just take it easy the first 5K then see what happens. I noticed a couple guys in my AG. I passed two of them at around mile 1 then one of them passed me at around the 2 mile mark but he didn't put too much distance on my going into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I think I paced that first run perfectly
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

I actually brought two pairs of shoes. The first pair were my Saucony Hurricanes which had standard laces. So I had to untie those to get them off. Everything else went pretty smooth. I wasn't dying to have the fastest T1 either.

Nada
Bike
  • 43m 11s
  • 15.33 miles
  • 21.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't recon the course, I was familiar with some of the roads but not in the same direction as the race. I rode the first loop very conservatively, mainly because the roads were still wet from the rain all night. There were still some puddles on the course. My second lap was TWO minutes faster than the first. I was in 17th place OA starting the bike, ended up in 5th OA coming out of T2, second fastest bike split of the day.

Recon course, at least ride one lap as a warm-up before the race. I could have been a minute, minute and a half faster had I done that. Cost me 5th OA at least.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I wore socks so ran with my bike shoes, didn't have to go too far. Put on my Zoot Tri shoes this time, no laces.

Pretty good transition for me. Nada.
Run
  • 22m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Typical post bike tight legs to start with. I know my HR was up there so I just settled down a bit and tried to just run relaxed. I was pretty sure I was ahead of any other 45-49 year olds out there so the question was....could I hold on?. 3 of them were faster than me on the first 5K. I remember passing a guy in his 20's on the last lap of the bike and he went cruising by me about a half mile into this run. The 2nd run had at least two loop around sections where you can see where your competition is. I saw two M45-49 runners in that first pass and I figured I had at least a minute, minute and a half on them. The last loop around the gap had widened so I felt good about my chances.

As I started my turn towards the dam, about a 1/2 mile from the finish I looked back and ... nobody in sight. The next guy ahead of me was at least 30-40 seconds ahead so there was no way I would catch him so I just started shutting it down a bit.

Nada, a well executed race for me.

For the last 4 months or so I've only averaged 8-10 miles per week so I'm pretty happy with my paces here, especially the 2nd 5K
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the refueling area and drank two chocolate protein drinks and half a banana, then some water. Just chit-chatted with some of the other competitors and volunteers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, mainly run training.

Event comments:

As usual, JCPR puts on a good race. This year the numbers were small, for sure the rain scared many away. It rained through most of the night and was still raining at 5:00 AM.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:28 | 03.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 17/55
Performance: Good
Course: Mild rollers through the park on paved trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:43:11 | 15.33 miles | 21.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 2/55
Wind: Some
Course: 4 laps through the park and on road, some light rollers, only about 860 feet or so of climbing. A couple hard right turns so you had to slow down. A couple turns I had to slow down more than I wanted due to slower riders ahead.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:21 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 11/55
Course: A different route than the first 5K, nice! A little flatter than the first, all on paved trail through the park and along the dam.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-05-09 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: HP3 Duathlon at Heritage Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HP3 Duathlon at Heritage Park Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

KCM Time Trial Stage 1 of 5 Heritage Park

Started by montyzooma
Views: 1105 Posts: 3

2008-05-10 2:56 PM montyzooma

Xterra Oconee Heritage Park 1/2 Marathon Trail Run

Started by autigers_1998
Views: 859 Posts: 10

2007-11-28 9:29 PM jlcornelius22

Heritage Park

Started by mkcsanders
Views: 630 Posts: 2

2007-05-23 12:03 PM katieyows

Heritage Park Triathlon

Started by Ken Bramble
Views: 779 Posts: 2

2006-05-23 8:07 AM CorkyC

BikeSource Duathlon at Heritage Park

Started by speedball
Views: 1720 Posts: 3

2006-05-22 6:14 AM Pulch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!