UK Triathlon Forum England » Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-10 2:34 AM

Subject: Newbie
Hi everyone, I was just after some inspiration really. I'm totally new to all this, triathlon stuff, well exercise in general really, and reading this Im not sure what on earth has possessed me to even think I can complete one. I'm 45 and unfit and don't know if Im too late to start training?
Any advice would be grateful.

2015-06-09 7:54 AM
in reply to: Emmajd

New user

Lagos, Lagos
Subject: RE: Newbie
Hey Emmajd,

I'm 36 and have been on the couch for what feels like eons. I'll be taking part in the super sprint at the London triathlon in August. What distance have you signed up for and where?

It is all a bit daunting but I figure as it is my first race, I will focus on completing as opposed to time. I'm currently following the BT Aggressive 10 week mini sprint program (and due to extreme laziness and some illness, I'm a week behind). However, as the goal is to finish and not to place first, I figure I still have enough time if I continue to train consistently, to do so without dying.
2015-07-19 4:32 PM
in reply to: #5114189

User image

Hi and welcome to the world of Triathlon
I'm Ian, almost 50 and completed a sprint and an Olympic distance tri this year. The training is hard but most enjoyable. You won't regret it.
I am also training for a half marathon in October and a full marathon in May leading up to a full ironman in July Nextel!
I find this site very informative and friendly. The training plans are great too!

I'm based in Cambs. Train mostly on my own due to working shifts.
I'm sure you will enjoy being here
2015-07-19 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5129727

User image

t is all a bit daunting but I figure as it is my first race, I will focus on completing as opposed to time. I'm currently following the BT Aggressive 10 week mini sprint program (and due to extreme laziness and some illness, I'm a week behind). However, as the goal is to finish and not to place first, I figure I still have enough time if I continue to train consistently, to do so without dying.......

It certainly is daunting, don't panic about illness or being behind. I finished last in my Sprint, but I finished! !
I finished 82nd out of 122 in my Oly so a big improvement!
Set achievable goals, a good diet is essential, and don't forget about recovery! It's important to let the body heal so it can improve!
2015-09-16 1:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hey Emmajd, your not too late to start training - Daphne Belt is a world record age grouper and she started when she was 50!

I'm 41 next week and have been competing for the last three years. I'm doing my first half ironman next year, I am bloggin about my journey and the things I have learnt along the way.

Please do have a look, and please like, comment or even better follow...! http://www.triathlondaddy.com

Edited by Triathlon_daddy 2015-09-16 1:19 AM
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » Newbie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie but oldie in Cambs

Started by Gilch49
Views: 418 Posts: 1

2014-12-30 1:41 PM Gilch49

newbie from Taunton

Started by Robochef
Views: 798 Posts: 5

2014-09-20 1:37 PM Robochef

Newbie to Triathlons!! :-)

Started by oakesy-81
Views: 1975 Posts: 3

2012-12-21 1:49 AM Freerider

newbie bath

Started by tasker89
Views: 1112 Posts: 1

2012-08-18 2:59 PM tasker89

Newbie in Hampshire

Started by Ukgold66
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2012-08-21 2:35 AM Pashda
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!