General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie May Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Muncie May Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Selma, Indiana
United States
America Multi-Sport
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 55s
Overall Rank = 9/96
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast at the hotel... coffee, oatmeal, toast w/ PB&J (the PB was a mistake as it didn't digest well before all of the high heart rate work of the day), and a bottle of sports drink to hydrate.

Got to the race site about an hour before the start. Realized at this point that I had forgotten my race belt and I was scrambling to try to figure out how/where/when to put on my bib number for the run when a awesome guy named Rob saved my bacon (and my race!) by letting me borrow his, he just happened to have an extra one with him!!

Event warmup:

No warm up, just got in line and waited for my turn to go
Swim
  • 05m 11s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Chose to swim without a wetsuit. The water was warm enough to not necessitate it, and short enough that I wasn't likely to gain a whole lot of time from it. Based on my results, I think I made the right call.

Caught a lung full of water at the first turn buoy and had to pause to hack it out real quick. Got passed by one guy at that point. Got it going again and the rest of the swim was pretty uneventful (and really quick). Got to the Swim Out and already had goggles & cap off, and began the run up to T1
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was a solid swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

This was a relatively flawless T1 for me... except for their timing system has me taking 4:29 whereas my Garmin has me taking 2:40.

My Data: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/769862205

Their Data: https://app.lap.io/event/2015-05-muncie-may/result/1003729

Nothing *I* could have done better. No wetsuit to take off, shoes were pre-clipped, helmet went on and strapped before I touched the bike, I ran well with the bike, didn't lollygag at the rack, and I executed a pretty solid flying mount. It was just ... clean.

Bike
  • 35m 26s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 21.34 mile/hr

Should have been paying better attention to cadence and HR. Undoubtedly gave up a fair amount of time here.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Super solid T2 for me.

Absotively nothing.
Run
  • 23m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really slow, but this turned out to be more solid than I thought it was at the time.
The run was really hot and humid, weather I haven't been accustomed to lately living in Cleveland.

Coming into this race, I thought that if I could do 7:30's, it would be a fantastic day. I pretty much nailed that, so I really couldn't be more pleased. Got passed once by a 16 year old right at the turnaround, but I passed and picked off about five others, including one guy in the last quarter mile. Felt strong the whole way despite being really hot and breathing hard, and I managed to still have a really strong kick at the end that propelled me up the last hill and down the stretch into the chute.

For my current fitness levels, not a thing.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

A very poor and undisciplined offseason more full of regular life duties than training... and there's nothing wrong with that at all :)

Event comments:

Overall, it's a decent event, but the bike course is terrible (in terms of road conditions) and I currently have major issues with their timing systems.

Aside from that, this is your standard small venue event... nice atmosphere, great people, lots of fun. That's what it's all about, right?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:11 | 400 meters | 01m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 12/96
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: out, left turn, left turn, in.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:26 | 12.6 miles | 21.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 13/96
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Single loop
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:37 | 03.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 14/96
Course: Out and back, rolling with a couple hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-05-10 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Muncie May Triathlon - Sprint Course

2015-05-10 5:35 PM
in reply to: #5114229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Muncie May Triathlon - Sprint Course
Holy cow that is a fast swim! Sucks for the extended transition, I hope the discrepancy does not create an issue with placement. Either way fantastic race and congrats on the podium.
2015-05-11 9:19 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Muncie May Triathlon - Sprint Course

After working with the race director a bit, they think they've found the timing issue, and he's updated the standings...  1st AG, 9th overall.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie May Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ziggie204
Views: 1416 Posts: 1

2014-05-16 2:54 PM ziggie204

Started by asock325
Views: 1096 Posts: 1

2012-05-13 8:36 AM asock325

Started by Keith_OH
Views: 1023 Posts: 1

2012-05-13 7:03 AM Keith_OH

Started by mambos
Views: 1673 Posts: 9

2012-05-14 10:45 AM jgerbodegrant

Muncie May Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by vwswimmer2010
Views: 860 Posts: 1

2012-05-12 7:00 PM vwswimmer2010
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.