General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand new shoes for Saturday's marathon??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-13 7:28 AM

User image

Subject: Brand new shoes for Saturday's marathon???
Due to poor planning on my part I am down to 3 shoe choices for Saturday's marathon.

New Balance 980, 480 miles on them. Don't love these shoes. The toe box is a little small, and has given me blisters in the past. I should be OK, but I just don't love the shoe, so it is out.

New Balance 610V3 trail shoes, 470 miles. A light trail shoe, just as light as road trainers. Good fit, but not much cush

Brooks Launch, 4 miles on them. Just got them Monday. Ran 4 miles yesterday at a 7:30 pace, 15s slower than marathon goal pace. They felt good for the 4 miles.

My goal is to BQ, it is attainable, but will be very difficult. I know the 610's won't cause blisters but I also know my feet and legs will take a pounding due to lack of cush. The Brooks feel more forgiving, but the fit over 26.2 is an unknown.

So the question is, Brooks Launch or NB 610's?

(You might also chalk this question up to taper madness)

2015-05-13 9:11 AM
in reply to: Mtnwesttri

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Brand new shoes for Saturday's marathon???

I have a pair of trail shoes similar to the 610's and I would not want to run a marathon in them.  I prefer a much softer shoe and would probably prefer a blister or two to the pounding.  The hillier the course the more I'd lean towards the Brooks for the descents too..  Good luck in your race.

2015-05-13 3:37 PM

User image

DC
Brooks. I love the feel of new/"newish" shoes.

I've run marathon (& did well) w/shoes having less than 50 miles on them.
2015-05-13 5:05 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Pretty tough to experiment with new shoes this close to the race but my blister test is to run sockless in them.  For me, if there is a hot spot it will show itself in three or four miles.  I wouldn't advocate the test this close though. 

2015-05-13 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Think of a remedy for the blisters and go with the New Balance 980.
2015-05-13 7:41 PM

I had a similar dilemma recently. I had planned on wearing my Hoka Cliftons but knew they were pretty far gone. I picked up a brand new pair at the expo since I did need a replacement. I ended up walking around the hotel with one old shoe and one new shoe on and could really feel the wear in the old pair, so I went against conventional wisdom and ran in the brand new pair. I did 2 miles in them the day before.

My feet actually never fared better in a marathon. I had no pain whatsoever, no blisters and all my toenails intact.

I'd risk it and go with the new pair if it was a model I'd previously run in and had a good experience with. Otherwise, unless the old shoe was in really bad shape, I'd go with the old ones.

2015-05-14 12:09 PM

User image

Pro

well, you sure did get yourself into a pickle.  But given your other two choices, the Brooks Launch seems like the best option to me.  I'm presuming they feel pretty good for those short runs.  If you end up with bloody feet- your BQ will make you feel better.  And, the Launch is a good marathon shoe.

2015-05-14 12:38 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I'd go with the newer shoes.  I had a similar situation just this past week.  I ran the Fargo marathon with shoes that had 10 miles or so on them.  Felt great.  I also love the feel of newer shoes.

2015-05-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Thanks all for the advice! I just finished a 2mi sockless run at marathon pace (well, a touch faster than MP). No shoe issues. I think the Brooks are the best bet, and that's what I'm running in

I'll be sure to post a race report for this one regardless of the outcome. I've missed my last three RR's and feel a little guilty
2015-05-16 10:25 PM

User image

Well, I wore the Brooks. I have a spectacular blister to the back of the ball of my left foot, and bonked spectacularly so no BQ.

Started raining less than 2mi in, and didn't let up. Between 1/2" and 3/4" of rain during the race. The blister was my fault. I knew my left shoe was a little loose around mile 2.5, and didn't do anything about it until 15.5 miles in. Ended up hypothermic at the finish line, and it took a bit to get warmed back up.

Then I got to watch my wife smiling, she was actually smiling when she crossed the finish line of her first marathon! All in all, a great day.

Race report will come in a few days after some of the pain subsides
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand new shoes for Saturday's marathon??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Brand new...what do I need?

Started by shohman
Views: 1044 Posts: 7

2009-08-02 10:34 PM shohman

Wrecked my brand new bike >:0

Started by buckethead
Views: 1818 Posts: 8

2008-06-06 2:07 PM dcrainey

Boston Marathon: Old Shoes / New Shoes?

Started by TheMaz
Views: 857 Posts: 5

2008-04-09 3:52 AM OrbeaMan

running shoes - within-brand sizing

Started by misanthropic777
Views: 711 Posts: 3

2005-11-11 10:02 AM BellinghamSpence

Running shoes--good brands? Pages: 1 2

Started by sharonnagy5
Views: 3448 Posts: 46

2005-04-08 8:37 AM sharonnagy5
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types