General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injuries suck Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-13 8:17 PM

User image

Subject: injuries suck
Just venting here... So training has been going really well. I am currently signed up for a sprint at the end of this month, and a multi race weekend mid July that consists of a du and 5k on saturday and sprint tri on sunday morning.
So three weeks ago I started to notice some pain below my knee cap only after runs. So with ice after runs it would go away. Now knowing that its patellar tendoitis, I can ride and swim with no pain, But need two to three days off after a run. Also with the knee not being at full strength I have developed a slight hamsting strain.
Probably gonna skip my sprint this month to rehab, but dont want to miss the multi event. Anyone else dealing or dealt with patellar tendonitis have advice on healing.

2015-05-14 11:18 PM
in reply to: petersco1227

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: injuries suck

It's a good idea to skip the sprint.  Taking the long distance look at things, taking off a month to rehab (if it is indeed that) is a lot better then exacerbating things to where it is half a year off, no races in 2015 and continuous flareups.  Right now, if I'm injured, I just suck it up and re-tool to a sport that I can do that won't affect it.  How about a 2-4 mile lake/ocean swim to train and race?  Something to keep you focused.  It does suck that it's ramping up to race season, but in the end, it's the best for future happy running.

Though I don't know how old you are, I'm getting old (40), so it's more easy for me to accept stuff like this as it was a tough lesson to learn!

2015-05-15 12:38 AM
in reply to: Ron

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeah, it sucks. I have been off running for a few weeks due to suspected AT on my right foot. It's not AT but it's still here and has moved up the calf. Then I twisted my left foot going up the stairs a week ago (luckily that was nothing) and now I have developed back pain (apparently when your back is crooked like mine is, too much crawling is not a good idea).

Sorry for venting in your post.........

Just to say I know what you are going through....
2015-05-15 9:17 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Hope you recover soon and back to racing.

Bruised my ribs last weekend. Hurts big time. Even a sneeze or yawn causes pain.

The only thing I can do is bike and I have another race in couple of weeks.
2015-05-16 9:50 AM
in reply to: #5115274

Sorry to hear. I've been nursing a calf strain myself and have been going bat-sh@t as the weather gets nice.
2015-05-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

User image

Bronze member
I had that before. 2 things were the root of the issue for me- running too intense for my fitness level trying to improve my pace and overstriding with a heel strike. Just some things to think about. But yes injuries do stink. I have been fussing with heel pain since November and now i've busted up my shoulder. It is swollen and basically useless at the moment. Sucks for sure. Hope you recover quickly!

2015-05-16 8:54 PM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

User image

Thanks for venting with me, glad to know I'm not alone in the frustration. I am also thinking that my aggressive heel strike is part of the problem, when I get back to it I will be trying to correct this. Hope you all heal up quickly.
2015-05-16 9:25 PM
in reply to: petersco1227

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I've had issues with patellar tendonitis - rest, ice, compression, elevation, and taking a month off with ZERO running and then very slowly adding in very easy, low volume running worked for me (to be honest, I initially took 2 weeks off, went for a quick run, felt great, so did a 5km tempo run the next day to make up for lost time, and re aggravated the knee). Overstriding was part of it for me, but I also have really tight hamstrings, so I've been on a rigorous stretching regimen ever since.

The swim-cycle/aqua-bike option is a good way to keep racing and training with purpose amidst a running break.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injuries suck Rss Feed