General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS, Lessons learned! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-14 7:09 AM

User image

Subject: OWS, Lessons learned!
I have taught adult learn to swim for many years and consider myself very good at what I do and extremely comfortable in the water. I do the majority of my swimming in pools and was not even remotely worried about the OWS from last weekend's Tri. Boy was I in for a surprise! The wind picked up all through the morning right into the start of the race and by the time I entered the water there was a fair amount of chop. My first leg was swimming into the chop and no issue. The second and longest leg was swimming at a approximately 45 degree angle to the chop. I no sooner made the turn when I realized I was in for a treat. The chop wasn't bad per se, but it was just enough that I was inhaling as much water as air. I would get a clean breath about every 3-4 breaths. It didn't take long before my mental game was shot and I finished the swim off using sidestroke...

There were a couple of lessons to be learned for me: 1) Openwater swimming can be vastly different than swimming laps in the pool. 2) I had the option to practice OWS before the event and failed to take advantage. Had I done this I would have been more mentally prepared and I believe the effect would have been largely negated. 3) Be comfortable swimming a variety of strokes to include the sidestroke (I got this one right ). My time was down from what it should have been but it was still a respectable time. I attribute this to swimming regularly and swimming a variety of strokes to include breaststroke, sidestroke and the front crawl. This flexibility and familairity saved the day for me. My girl friend and I have now added a weekly OWS to our training regimen so that we can be best prepared for less than ideal conditions in the OWS.

Feel free to share your OWS lessons learned

2015-05-14 7:28 AM
in reply to: sdalcher

User image

Subject: RE: OWS, Lessons learned!
Get in early and acclimate yourself on race day! I failed to do this and believe it's what caused my panic attack... on the bright side, the slow swim time left lots of people to pass on the bike!
2015-05-14 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Yes! I think OWS is one of those things that people think, "How bad can it be?" until they actually do it. I still start to hyperventilate if I think about HOW far away from shore I am, just HOW deep the water is, etc. After I added an almost-weekly OWS training session (once the water warms up of course) to my schedule, I got a lot more comfortable in the water and it showed.

Now I need to work on swimming in a straight line!!! Here is the hilarious result from last week's swim. Garmin was under my cap so there's no excusing it, lol.

(Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 11.32.19 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 11.32.19 AM.png (62KB - 5 downloads)
2015-05-14 8:17 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

LOL, Yep I was lifting my head up every 3-4 strokes to see where I was going and invariably was off a few degree each time. I'm sure my first leg would have looked much like yours with a lot of wasted zigzagging.
2015-05-14 8:28 AM

User image

Chop really messes with me. I think it is because I lift my head to much to breathe so my face is vertical. I am working on just lifting my chin to the side and back, which provides more shelter for my breath (I am having a really hard time explaining that).

My worst race experience was in whitecaps with a cold. I was congested and had a coughing fit from the cold in the middle of the lake. I couldn't get my lungs to clear because even treading water with my back to the waves, they were coming over my head. I had to get help from a kayak just so I could get far enough above the waves to clear my lungs. Hardest swim of my life.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS, Lessons learned! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1st OWS: Lessons Learned

Started by Artemis
Views: 517 Posts: 1

2006-06-18 9:17 PM Artemis

Bike fitting - lessons learned/learning

Started by cobannero
Views: 1567 Posts: 6

2006-02-09 11:18 AM cobannero

Lessons learned in transitioning...

Started by Nancytris
Views: 1984 Posts: 25

2004-02-19 10:52 AM Tiger Phil

Lessons learned from Bike training...

Started by dhyte
Views: 1376 Posts: 18

2004-02-18 11:03 PM DharmaBum

Lessons learned from run training....

Started by dhyte
Views: 1593 Posts: 10

2004-02-15 6:36 PM Shrike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.
date : August 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Gina76
comments : 2
The completion of my first sprint triathlon! Even though it has been over a year since my first tri, I find myself ready to do two more this year and even two half marathons!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.