General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long course hydration/calories set up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-14 9:38 AM

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: Long course hydration/calories set up

For those of you racing 70.3 and 140.6, I'd like to know how you tackle the setup.  

I have a XLAB torpedo up front and will have a bottle behind the seat.  I plan to mix a 3 hour bottle for calories and have water in the other.  I'm guessing I'll only need 1 hand-up during my 70.3 if I employ this method.  I'm wondering which is the most efficient way to do this.  If I put my calories in the torpedo I'll avoid the possibility of launching my nutrition but I'll need to come out of aero every time I want to get a swig of water from the bottle in back.  I don't have the option of putting a bottle on the frame.  What do you do?

2015-05-14 9:49 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Long course hydration/calories set up

Out of sheer curiosity, why can't you put a bottle on the frame?

I have an aero bottle for water and put my calories (I use Infinite and concentrate like you do) on the frame. 

2015-05-14 10:38 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Franklin, TN

I have a Felt DA4.  I converted the Torhans aero bottle that came with the bike to a flat kit.  That's the only mounting option on the frame...there's no attachment options on the down tube.  I didn't like the Torhans VR bottle as a hydration source but it makes a great flat kit.  I guess I could move my flat kit to a bottle behind the seat and attach an easier-to-handle aero bottle (XLAB aero) on the seat tube.

2015-05-14 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

You don't need to come out of aero to grab and drink from a bottle behind your seat -- practice it and you'll be able to stay in aero just fine.

Personally, that (three bottles) is often not enough fluids for me, though I tend to race in hot conditions.  I have two bottles behind the seat and one between the bars, and will generally grab one or two more along the course, though tend to only drink part of the hand-up bottle and use the rest of it to cool me down.

2015-05-14 1:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

This is my 70.3 set up.  I have a 72 oz bottle behind my seat that I fill with my 3-hour nutrition.  If you are worried about reaching the bottle in the back, just run a tube along the break cables to the aero bar.  

My plan was to take the 72 oz bottle (which I only fill up to 62 oz since it it tilted) and a 28 oz bottle on the frame (not shown).  I find that I go through a lot more fluids than that too and have to get bottles on the course to supplement what I carry.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-05-14 1:35 PM
2015-05-14 1:56 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Franklin, TN

Interesting set up.  I can see something like that working pretty well if you hid the tubing from the wind pretty well. 

2015-05-14 2:02 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Franklin, TN

Well it depends on your set up.  I have a long torso, sit pretty low in aero, have the bottle behind the seat as horizontal as possible and use an ISM saddle.  The combination of those 4 factors makes it pretty difficult to get to the seat bottle without sitting up.  If I was in a non-optimal aero position and/or on a road bike, access to the behind-the-seat bottle wouldn't be an issue.

2015-05-14 2:35 PM

User image

Exton, PA
For the 70.3's I have done I've used 3 or 4 bottles during the race.(3 on cooler day, 4 for a hot race day).

one on the frame and x-labs torpedo between the aero bars. picking up the other 2 on the coarse.
2015-05-14 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Can you use an aerobottle on the bars? For my 70.3 here I had two bottles on the rear bottle mount, one on the frame (all of these with electrolyte drink), and one on my aerobars (water for washing down nutrition). I used a chocolate bar and gu, not liquid calories. Munchies were in a bento box on the top tube. I did the whole race(bike leg just under 3 hours) without stopping for bottle exchange in 90+ degree temps. It was just enough--didn't get dehydrated. But I am pretty light so guessing most guys are bigger and would need more fluids. My position on the tri bike is probably similar to yours--I can't get to the seat bottles either without coming out of aero. I just put the "active bottle" on the frame and switch it out with the "reserve" bottle from the seat mount when empty, about every 40-60 minutes. If that's not an option, you could look into something like the Speedfill system where there's a tube that runs from the bottle to your aero bars. One of my competitors had it on her bike and it looked like a good option for staying in aero while carrying a lot of water.
2015-05-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Franklin, TN
I think I might go with your set up even though I don't have an aero bottle for the seat tube location. With that set up I'll have easy access to my hydration and calories. I'll keep the reserve bottle behind the seat.
2015-05-15 4:11 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you are using an aerobottle (by that I mean a bottle mounted on the aerobars) there is also an option to get a bigger one with a double compartment. I have one but have never used it in a race, nor on the tri bike in training. I believe it's made by Profile Design, is called a Fuel Cell or Aqua Cell, and has two chambers. One is smaller and I think intended for liquid nutrition like concentrated liquid or gu thinned with some water. The other is larger and for water/electrolyte drink. Since I don't use liquid nutrition (makes me sick), I haven't used it this way, just to carry extra water on my road bike for long rides. It fits into the standard Profile Design mount (same as for for the smaller bottle). I don't know how the extra front end weight would affect balance/control if you are in a fairly aggressive position on a tri bike--it's why I haven't used it!

2015-05-15 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
My set-up is pretty simple... one bottle Nuun between the bars and one bottle Nuun behind the seat. I then switch back to front and take on a water from an aid station. That makes 3 total. But I get all my carbs from gels so my situation is also simpler than yours with your bottle of nutrition.

I would be really concerned about trying to drink regularly from the bottle behind the seat. Those things are tricky to get in and out I sometimes get a side cramp while fiddling with it.

BTW, my spare tube is under my seat and my levers and nozzle are in my bento. If you do that you might free up your downtube?
2015-05-15 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
For those of you racing 70.3 and 140.6, I'd like to know how you tackle the setup.

We can't claim 100% objectivity here, but here is another option to consider. Carry your desired gel and water separately. That way you can manage your hydration and nutrition as you race in exactly the best way for you and for the conditions at the time. And you can refill water on the course. For the gel, you can carry packets in a top tube bento, or you can empty gel into a long gel flask and keep that inside the bento. The top tube Speedpack 438 on this bike fits the gel flask pictured below perfectly. Or you can carry lots of gel packets (still sealed) inside the aero bento. If you want more info about the Speedpacks, we have links in the signature below.

2015-05-15 4:29 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Franklin, TN

Ha!  I bought your 483 pack last week and that will be part of my strategy.  Looks like I can fit the Hammer Gel bottle in there if I don't want to carry the loose gels.

Thanks for everyone's input.  

My set up for the race will have the XLAB torpedo between the bars, the DSW 483 bento on the top tube, my flat kit behind the seat and a regular bottle on the seat tube (not the most aero but it does provide easier access).  I'd rather have the bottle on the down tube but my DA4 does not provide attachment points.

2015-05-15 5:08 PM
in reply to: #5115362

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Very cool, thanks. We hope the 483 proves its worth to you.

Have a great season!
Greg @ dsw
2015-05-15 5:53 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I run something similar to Darkspeedworks.  My hydration is in a BTB bottle and a frame aero bottle.  Flat kit behind the seat tube in the Bontrager draft box.  Fuel is in the Bontrager speed box on the top tube.

IMO, too many people make this more complicated than it needs to be.  For most 70.3 races, you should only need 2 bottles total.  Both for hydration.  You can swap one at a time at aid stations.  Get your fuel from gels or solid sources.  Separating your hydration and fueling can allow for more flexibility, plus some argue that separating the two absorbs better.

2015-05-15 7:49 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

I do hydration between the aerobars and refill hydration at aid stations, and put liquid nutrition on the seat tube. Its a quick refill at aid stations, and at least for the IM's I've done, they seem to come up every 15-20 min or so. Even on a hot day I'm not going through more fluids than the stations can provide.

2 bottle setup is lighter, and I don't have to worry about ejections, or even reaching behind my seat. If I want some solid food, I'll have something in my jersey. I have a small bag behind the seat and a bento box on the top tube for spare tubes (2), Co2 cartridges, multitool etc...
2015-05-15 10:09 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Franklin, TN
Makes sense to me. Sounds like the setup I decided to go with is similar to what you and others suggested. My bike will look similar to Don's except that I'll have the flat kit in a bottle behind the seat.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long course hydration/calories set up Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2012 Cannondale Slice 5 hydration set up?

Started by EKH
Views: 4542 Posts: 4

2012-10-08 1:02 PM Billyk

Easiest hydration set up to use?

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 623 Posts: 5

2012-02-03 2:09 PM metafizx

My 15 minute rear hydration set-up.

Started by cstoulil
Views: 1022 Posts: 7

2011-11-29 4:30 PM tigers75

hydration set up for HIM

Started by hayes01
Views: 1030 Posts: 14

2011-05-24 9:42 PM trix

my first long course - Australian Long Course Champs

Started by Kestrel
Views: 973 Posts: 1

2005-03-01 7:32 PM Kestrel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.