General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast HIM Courses West Coast in June or July? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-14 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Fast HIM Courses West Coast in June or July?
Thought I'd put it out there as there are some folks on here who race a lot.....

I really wasn't happy with my time at IM Vietnam 70.3--I was sick with cold/flu, conditions were extremely hot and humid, and the combo ruined my run, which is usually my strongest leg. I had a good swim and excellent bike, and my training has been going very well, but did a 5:57 with a 2:13 run, which is a full 30 minutes over my best split. I really, really want to see what I can do when healthy and in decent conditions. I'm quite sure I have a 5:30-5:40 in me but don't know where I can do it.

Are there ANY HIM out there that might fit the bill? It doesn't need to be IM Corp-- I've already looked at their site and the West Coast races during the dates I'll be home are full; the only options would be Muncie or Racine, which I don't think family will be interested in--but I would like it to be a fairly fast course--at least no extreme climbs, highly technical descents, or off-road riding-- and standard distance. I did Chelanman for my first one but that is a tough bike course and the distance is 2 miles over standard. Plus really don't want to do the same one twice. Pac Crest also out--it's close to home but weather is very unreliable as it's at altitude. It was my first HIM attempt and the bike course was cut to 29 miles due to SNOW. Not going there. Plus it's a slow coursed to altitude and huge climb on the bike.

Just not sure where to look for other more local events.

I was thinking IM Lake Stevens but I see it has been moved from July to August, so it is out. Race would have to be between June 21 and July 26. I would prefer early to mid July but late June or July would also work. Any suggestions welcome! I'd consider travel to pretty much anywhere west of the continental divide.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-14 6:55 PM

2015-05-14 9:48 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Fast HIM Courses West Coast in June or July?

Don't know the west coast that well, but have you tried trifind.com or runningintheusa.com? The latter does have events if it at least involves running.

2015-05-15 12:01 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

This is mid-July.  Very flat bike and run.  Wind can be an issue but usually does seem to come into play at most flat courses I have seen.  Small lake swim and
I've heard pretty good organization.  Part of the run is on the beach.  I'm doing Boise 70.3 in June and am looking at this as a followup,

http://trifreaks.com/ocean-shores-big-weekend-tri-foot-fest/

2015-05-15 12:09 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Awesome! I was thinking of you--thinking it was you who suggested Chelanman. Thanks so much! Danang was windy on the bike too so I can manage, I hope. (Where was the wind when I needed it on the run?)

Think I will run it by Mom and probably register shortly. Indulging my World Championship delusions can wait till next year. I think I will sign up for IM Geelong 70.3 (near Melbourne) in February since it conveniently falls midway thru our Tet break and always wanted to visit Australia, and maybe give Danang a miss next year.
2015-05-30 12:47 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Went ahead and entered Toughman! It sounds like an interesting course. I have visions of it being so foggy I can't see where I'm going on the bike (or is that just the Oregon coast?) or the tide coming in on the beach run section, which actually happened to me once in Hawaii. (I guess that would motivate some fast running!). At any rate, they mentioned average temps of 52-66, which sounds really appealing.

The downside is I'm still pulling long weeks of training and it's still really, really hot here. Not sure it's mental or physical, but since Vietnam 70.3, my tolerance/enthusiasm for running in the heat has been wearing thin. Almost tempted just to go to the gym and do my long runs on the treadmill. Almost..... but not quite!

Hope to see you there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast HIM Courses West Coast in June or July? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New west coast 140.6 - Santa Cruz/Monterey

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1363 Posts: 7

2014-05-02 9:57 PM TTom

July 26 - IMKY Course Ride?

Started by Steve-
Views: 967 Posts: 9

2008-07-22 1:49 PM velomix

AZ is effectively on West coast time?

Started by tpetersen02
Views: 1319 Posts: 4

2007-04-06 8:43 AM kcwoodhead

Gulf Coast Bike Course

Started by rbschlesinger
Views: 878 Posts: 9

2006-04-07 11:09 AM huengsolo

Late June HIM races on the east coast?

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 942 Posts: 5

2005-10-06 3:18 PM riverdiver2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?

date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.

date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.