General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Long Term Value Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-15 9:09 AM

Subject: Tri Bike Long Term Value
I'm in the market for a new tri bike, and am trying to get a good long term value (I won't be purchasing a new bike every few years, so I'm trying to make a smart choice). We all know its all about the fit, so I did go ahead and have that done first. I'm making a decision between Cervelo P3 (or possibly P2 with immediate upgrades) and Scott Plasma 10 (Both Ultegra with similar specs). I am curious to see if anyone out there has had experience with either bike and would care to share an opinion one way or the other?

The LBS is heavily emphasizing the Scott Plasma as being better long term value than Cervelo, mainly due to durability, maintenance/warranty issues, etc. This is the first negative spin I have heard anyone put on Cervelo at all, and so I was hoping to get input from the experienced riders in the crowd. I'm finding it hard to find any feedback/info on Scott bikes at all, so thanks in advance for your comments!

2015-05-25 7:46 PM
in reply to: ckiepura

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Tri Bike Long Term Value
Personally, if both bikes are high quality, I would forget all about "long-term value" and go with what fits well and what makes you happy every time you get onto it for a ride. That's the real long-term value.
2015-05-26 6:32 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I bet the resale value of the Cervelo will be slightly higher, so if that's important to you, it's flips everything 180deg.

Honestly, either bike will work just fine. It's much more about how if fits you than anything else. Then add how well you maintain it… You can easily get 10 seasons out of a bike that is well-maintained, whereas it'll be pretty much useless after 3-4 seasons if you don't.
2015-05-27 11:15 AM

User image

Pro

Cervelo's do seem to hold their monetary value well... but then again, my brother-in-law bought a P2 about 3 years ago, and the frame has cracked twice (in the same spot).  Granted, Cervelo is standing behind the product and replacing the frame- but still.  The guy only weighs maybe 160.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Long Term Value Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike in long-term storage

Started by triosaurus
Views: 777 Posts: 4

2010-03-08 2:12 PM triosaurus

Best value for money on tri hrm

Started by Anonymous
Views: 1069 Posts: 3

2008-12-22 5:46 PM Aikidoman

Is this a good value in bikes?

Started by kpar
Views: 1049 Posts: 4

2005-08-22 1:03 AM Mark G

bike value

Started by trixie
Views: 835 Posts: 4

2005-08-16 6:36 AM Stake

good value tri saddle

Started by miater
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2005-05-16 11:05 PM miater
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : May 21, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I have a pinched nerve in my neck at C6 which is causing a burning pain in the upper shoulder and down the triceps of my right arm. I worry about training and doing long-term nerve damage.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : May 15, 2005
Approximately how long do you think can I reasonably expect to keep making these improvements in speed and performance? I know it has to drop off sometime, I'd just like to have an idea of when.