General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Article from Tom Demerly - Changing Demographics of Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-05-18 9:04 AM
in reply to: #5115815

User image

Subject: RE: Article from Tom Demerly - Changing Demographics of Triathletes
While presenting some interesting obesity data, He ignored the fact the clothing companies have a adjusted the size of their clothes such that a size 6 today was a much larger size in the past. Despite these changes we keep getting fatter. Haven't realized that triathlon was dying sport

2015-05-18 9:29 AM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Prior to actually going to a race my only exposure to triathlons was watching Kona decades ago on Wide World of Sports. If I hadn't gone to an event, not by design I might add, I would not be in the sport today. I never thought it was a sport for old guys who packed on the pounds over the years.

But at the local race I saw a woman in her late 80's finish, more than a few Clydes and Athenas, people who struggled with the swim or ran really slow. Had I known what I know now about the great people who race in this sport, mostly just average people like me, I might have started a decade earlier.

As others have said, it may not be a changing demographic but more important to the growth of the sport, a more accurate representation of who triathletes are.

2015-05-18 1:09 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
2015-05-18 1:27 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Don't be ridiculous, everybody wants to look like Rinny & Crowie!

(Meryl Streep.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Meryl Streep.JPG (28KB - 5 downloads)
2015-05-18 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

Well this article twinges a lot of my bells. Metrics, numbers, data, demographics.
Add to the fact that I'm part of this 'changing demographics'.

I would actually argue there's just as many, or more, svelte competitors than "before". I don't say this from experience. I just would assume that the subset of athletes is a fairly static percentage. Maybe a few less in triathlon because of the economy/cost as he noted, but not necessarily any less overall. Sure, the rest of us are statistically obese (even though I'm below 190 now, I consider it like AA, once a chunk, always a chunk)...but look at any sport. Compare Ali and Foreman in their heyday to the boxers of today. Neither one of those guys was "cut" like they are today. Or football players of yesteryear to today. Yah, there's still plenty of ogres, but there's a lot more "ripped" guys out there now than ever. Athletes are a subset and I'm betting that number as a percentage is pretty consistent. Add in the fact that they didn't "let" women run the marathon in the Olympics until 1984. That's a whole lot of potential athletes added to the pool.

Although, as I say this, I know growth in gym memberships has dropped fairly significantly in the last few years with all but the Planet Fitness type places struggling to maintain growth.

I'm a dude. The size of a male model is irrelevant to me in my purchasing mindset. Even as a bigger dude or a not so big dude. If I have to buy an extra large pair of tri-shorts, I don't give I second thought. I'm more worried about how a product's given 'geometry' is....(better for long torso, or longer legs, etc)

I would say, that the local races, especially ones designed to encourage people into it, should probably not exclusively slather their website with dudes and ladies all aero-ed out. Don't exclude them from the imagery, but if you want regular folk, it'd be wise to show one or two. For everything else, it's like someone said. I wouldn't buy a golf magazine that featured local duffers out harassing the beer cart girls on weekends.

I do think there's marketing opportunities to target the people like me. Xterra has nailed it. It's the orange bucket of wetsuits without the stigma. It does everything you want it to do at a great price. Just nobody looks down on it like they do the bucket....which does everything you want it to (waterproof to boot) AND makes a comfy seat. Not sure if they could pull that off with a pseudo tri-bike.

edit:
And note for Xterra....I don't mean that as a slight. I'm a fan of the bucket. I think bucket gets a horribly bad wrap. I would still use mine, but the lid broke from sitting my fat behind on it....and I got a really great backpack from a race I did last year and I have a perfect waterproof Tupperware knockoff for my phone and money. As well as a fancy wetsuit/dry bag when I bought my wetsuit from Xterra. A new bucket would be $4. The Tupperware knockoff was $1 at the dollar store. The backpack and dry bag were 'free'. I'm a skinflint.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-05-18 1:48 PM
2015-05-18 1:48 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro

If triathlon was EVER only about ultra fit people than the overwhelming majority of folks would have never even given it a thought, much less made it the cottage industry it has become.  I ran my first triathlon in 1985, with breaks here and there........I don't see any difference in the people in transition now than I did then.  There are fast people, slow people, tall people, short people, fat people, skinny people......blah, blah, blah. 

It's triathlon, and ANYBODY can do it.  It has always been that way.....or most of you, and I, wouldn't be involved.

2015-05-18 1:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

If triathlon was EVER only about ultra fit people than the overwhelming majority of folks would have never even given it a thought, much less made it the cottage industry it has become.  I ran my first triathlon in 1985, with breaks here and there........I don't see any difference in the people in transition now than I did then.  There are fast people, slow people, tall people, short people, fat people, skinny people......blah, blah, blah. 

It's triathlon, and ANYBODY can do it.  It has always been that way.....or most of you, and I, wouldn't be involved.

For sure!
There'd hardly be any races.
I daresay the cost of the bikes would be significantly higher (and probably not as advanced) as they sell a fair amount of those bikes to people who are only competing with themselves. They're helping subsidize costs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Article from Tom Demerly - Changing Demographics of Triathletes Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What happened to Tom Demerly?

Started by cwpeters
Views: 3659 Posts: 19

2013-01-18 8:25 PM jmug23

BT'er Tom Gerlach IMFL 2012 - Congratulations Tom

Started by reecealan
Views: 1718 Posts: 15

2012-11-04 1:11 PM ThomasGerlach ProTri

Tom Demerly. Videos

Started by RushTogether
Views: 2785 Posts: 12

2012-07-21 5:02 AM RazorTri

Article: Core strength training for triathletes

Started by splinter
Views: 1897 Posts: 15

2005-03-27 11:38 PM Manny

Active.com article - TRIATHLETES: DEVELOPING FORCE ON THE BIKE

Started by DRM
Views: 1123 Posts: 6

2004-04-30 7:48 PM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.