General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike tire change Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-16 8:26 PM

Bismarck, ND
Subject: bike tire change
My bike has 650c tires. There is no way I would be able to change the tires on the course. I still take it to LBS to get them changed and the last time it took the guy about 40 minutes and he recruited a second guy to help. I really wish I would have know this before I bought the bike.

3 questions:
Can you change out the tire or would you even want to do this? I ride a 2011 Felt B16.

Am I just wimpy and I need to learn how to do this?

What do you do in a race if you blow a tire? Can someone bring you an extra tire or bike?

2015-05-17 1:26 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: bike tire change

Sorry but 40 minutes changes all 4 tires on my car. The size has zero to do with it. It takes me 5 minutes to swap the tube with Gatorskin Kevlar bead tires.

Watch some YouTube videos and HTFU. Fix your own flats.

I usually carry a foldable tire on my HIM or IM races, having blown out sidewalls before.

2015-05-17 7:01 AM
in reply to: #5115996

Bismarck, ND
Ok. Stupid question, but are there different kind of tires that will make it easier? All 4 times that I have had them changed, it takes them forever. I have watched to try to learn but have felt it may be a futile attempt.

I am definitely willing to learn. I don't have a lot of faith in my LBS. they deal with mountain bikes 90% of the time. That's why I come on here for all of my bike questions.
2015-05-17 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Seems to me that wire bead tires may be easier to change out rather than kevlar (foldable) bead tires. With that said, I cannot remember the last time I mounted a wire bead tire (they are heavier). Agree with earlier post, tire diameter has zero to do with mounting.
2015-05-17 7:50 AM
in reply to: #5116061

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I don't see how tire size makes a difference, but it might be your tires. I have had trouble with studded mountain bike tires (for winter riding) that were so stiff I had a horrible time trying to pry them on and off with tire irons. On the other hand I've had more flexible tires that don't even require tire irons.
2015-05-17 9:01 AM
in reply to: #5116063

Bismarck, ND
The guy from the bike shop said it was the tire size so I assumed he was correct. But, like I said, I don't have a lot of faith in them. Now I have even less.

2015-05-17 10:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by brreems The guy from the bike shop said it was the tire size so I assumed he was correct. But, like I said, I don't have a lot of faith in them. Now I have even less.

Well, your guy was accurate in that it's the tire size that makes it more difficult.  He just wasn't precise: it's not the 650 vs 700 size that makes it difficult.  It's the 25mm wide skinny road tires vs. the 1.75" big fat mountain bike tires that makes it more difficult.  Width, not diameter.

There are four things to know about changing road tires. 

First, never use a tire lever to put the tire on, but only to take it off. Resist the temptation to try to use a lever to pry over the tire.

Second, the side of the tire opposite the stem is special. It has maximum give and so is the first place to take off the tire and the last place to get on. Oh, and look like a pro and always put the tire label lined up centered on the stem.

Third, smoothly line the tube inside the tire so it doesn't get pinch flats. 

Fourth, there's proper use of hands, thumbs, fingers to slip the last bit over the tire bead over the tire. There's a pushing, rolling motion that's hard to describe but easy to see.  You can use your thumbs to push the tire over while holding the already-in-place tire with top of your palms (base of fingers).  Or you just use that broad base of your fingers to roll the tire up and over, a tiny bit at a time, alternating sides.

I have pretty good grip strength so I can get the toughest tires over in moments, but even my female riding friends with more dainty hands can easily get the tire on once the technique is sound.  I'll try to find a YouTube video on this when I get a chance, but you could try too.

And yes, tires make a difference.  Gatorskin Kevlar bead are hard,  Wire bead are easier.  23mm is harder than 25mm, but you have to use the right size for your wheels so often little choice there.  I've found Vittoria Pro pretty easy to put on.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-05-17 10:42 AM
2015-05-17 11:05 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Bismarck, ND
Wow! Thanks for your insight. I guess I know what I will be practicing.
2015-05-17 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes... to what everyone else said. I can't imagine 650 vs 700 making a difference.
What kind of tires do you have? I don't flat more than 2x per year on some semi-dicey roads, so different tires may allow you to flat less frequently.
I vaguely remember, years and years ago when I first started riding a road bike, wrestling like crazy with a tire and finally taking it to the LBS. This was after I'd changed a few tubes in the past- I think maybe I had new tires? Anyways, I think I got it off but couldn't get it back on. They got it on in like a minute.
So... I can't imagine a competent LBS taking 40 minutes to fix a flat. If you're in a rural area it's tough if you only have one LBS, but maybe if you'll be in a bigger city, take your front wheel with you and go into a bike shop there and just explain your situation: you can't change this tire, your LBS really can't either, you'd like to have them teach you. I think most would be cool about showing you how to get the tire off and back on.
2015-05-18 7:00 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Are the tires on your bike the ones that came with the bike? Some tires are much harder than others to get on and off. I have B16 as well and remember the factory tires were a real pain to work with. If this is the case you may want to consider a new set of tires.

Warm tires are easier to change, so if you have been riding or the bike has been in the sun it will be easier.
2015-05-18 9:23 AM
in reply to: #5115996

Bismarck, ND
They aren't the original tires. I have changed the front twice and the rear once. I have no idea what kind they put on. My front tire will need to be replaced soon. What kind of tire should I put on and what should I carry for a replacement?

2015-05-18 12:27 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by brreems

They aren't the original tires. I have changed the front twice and the rear once. I have no idea what kind they put on. My front tire will need to be replaced soon. What kind of tire should I put on and what should I carry for a replacement?

Many here use Conti 4000s tires, a good all around tire.

What you need to change a tire:
tire irons- 2 come in handy
spare tube- (presta valve and check your stem length before you buy)
air pump or CO2
2015-05-18 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by brreems They aren't the original tires. I have changed the front twice and the rear once. I have no idea what kind they put on. My front tire will need to be replaced soon. What kind of tire should I put on and what should I carry for a replacement?

how many miles have you ridden? what do you need to change your tires so often?

2015-05-18 12:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I will tell you that my first tri bike had 650 wheels and those tires were the biggest pain to change. Like you, even experienced folks really struggled with my tires. This will contradict some other advice in this thread, but the ONLY way I could get the tire over the last part of the wheel was with a lever. Otherwise, I ended up with blisters, torn and bleeding skin, and still no tire change.

My suggestion would be to practice tire changes, but maybe at a (different) bike shop or clinic where they can give you pointers for your specific wheel and tire. 

To the others saying there's no way it could be the tire size, I invite you to try on a 650 wheel like the OPs or my old one... it was perplexing but a very real struggle.

Edited by lisac957 2015-05-18 12:50 PM
2015-05-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I rode 650s for years before I switched to 700s and I didn't notice the tire size to be any more difficult. I would saw the tires themselves and the rims make more difference with how easy or difficult they are to change. 

I usually don't need a lever to put the tire back on, but very occasionally I will use a lever to put the tire back on. Just make sure you are careful not to pinch the tube. Also, you can inflate slowly and check for the tube bulging out.

2015-05-18 3:30 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
I spent my college years working as a wrench in 3 different bike shops (all three at the same time for a short period). I've changed a LOT of tires. A buddy and I would have contests based on the fact that there was never a tire we couldn't change without the aid of tire levers. Just thumbs of steel.
That said, there were the occasional tires that were very, very tight. There was really no rhyme or rhythm to it. One 700c tire would almost fall off the rim while another would take three men and a small truck to get it off the rim.
I'm guessing when the mechanic said that the size was the issue, he was referring to the ACTUAL size of the tire vs. the advertised size of the tire. Because as others have stated, there is no reason a 650 would fit any differently than a 700 (assuming you are putting the 650 on 650 rims and the 700 on 700 rims). It was probably just tight.

2015-05-18 6:01 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

There was no way no how I could put GP4000s 23c on my old bike's OEM Easton SL rims without a lever. Absolutely a b1tch.  When I got my Felt TTR2 wheels I thought it was the norm and was very surprised I could do it with my hands only 75% of the time,  Granted I do not have very strong hands but I'm confident not all rims are the same.  I haven't changed the tires out on my FLO's yet (came with new GP4ks when I bought them used).

2015-05-18 7:53 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

Bismarck, ND
I don't ride that much, unfortunately. One time It got pinched because I didn't have enough air in them. Not sure why I got a tear in the rear tire. This last time, I went up on a bad curb.
2015-05-19 4:32 PM

User image

Elite

Putting clincher tires over the edge of the rim is difficult for anybody and I have certainly heard from lots of people that some brands/models of tires and some brands of wheels are harder to mount than others.  I don't think I have ever mounted a tire on a 650 wheels.  I trust those who say they are harder than 700 wheels.  Today I just mounted Conti 4000s tires on Bontrager XXX wheels.  These tires are harder to mount than the original Bontrager tires.  I would say that they are harder than the Michelins I used to use all the time on other bikes.   If it was any harder, I don't think I could do it.  The Conti tires certainly ride nicely though.

I can imagine an automatic tire mounting machine that would truly have thumbs of steel.  I may have to build one.

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike tire change Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

change bike tires if rain event?

Started by randym
Views: 691 Posts: 3

2008-04-18 11:40 AM ranger5oh

NEED HELP ASAP!!!! Rear Bike Tire Change

Started by jennrs
Views: 880 Posts: 3

2006-07-19 8:23 PM jennrs

A reminder for newbies--change your tire!

Started by run131
Views: 508 Posts: 1

2006-06-30 9:49 AM run131

change tires before HIM

Started by nathaliemonique
Views: 757 Posts: 2

2006-06-28 9:44 PM mnewton

Practice those Tire Changes ....

Started by O2BFast
Views: 699 Posts: 2

2005-04-29 10:26 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : September 9, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 10
This video will go through everything you need to know to change your flat tire. See one being changed in about a minute - no reason to lose a lot of time on race day if you practiced.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : April 3, 2005
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 3
One procedure for changing a tire that you might learn from, but certainly don't want to follow precisely!