General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast one week, slow the next Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-16 8:37 PM

User image

Subject: Fast one week, slow the next
Normally I just push through bad days but I'm on a 2 week streak now and am a little concerned. A little background: ~1.5 months ago I somehow messed up the tendon in my left leg (overuse?). It's still healing but the tendon that helps me move my foot up and down is not 100%. Normally it hurts for 1-2 days after I run and then I don't notice it at all. Well 1.5 months ago, when I first got it, it hurt for a week after running 20 miles. That told me that something is messed up and I pretty much didn't run for 5 weeks (maybe 5 runs at 2-5 miles each time to test the waters).

2 weeks ago I decided to run a 1/2 marathon (signed up for full but knew that was too much). I told myself I'd just go as long as I could and then walk off the course if things hurt. It hurt a little but I finished it but I know I pushed myself too hard since I was at my LT HR for 1.5 hours. The following week I got sick 3 days after (grr...friend and his kids are like germ magnets), so I didn't work out until the weekend. I ran that weekend and was slower than expected but I just tossed it up from just getting over a cold. Well this week I did my bike workout and I was dogging it majorly. I also ran today and my HR was 5 bpm higher for a pace that's 1:00-1:30 slower than a pace I had 2 months ago (slow long run day). I know I'm not 100% with tendon but this seems a little extreme. Tendon is probably 85-90% healed but even biking was really hard this week (zero pain from biking...appears to be running only injury/pain). Anyone have any experiences like this? Fatigue from the race still maybe? I'm a little concerned since I have a tri in 3 weeks.

2015-05-18 5:55 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Fast one week, slow the next
It's tough to guess on things like that (other than of course the nagging injury not helping you out.)

This year, in an attempt to train smarter I have started monitoring my HRV (Heart Rate Variability) to monitor my fatigue day to day (and week to week/month to month) if you are willing to use the information it can shed some light on "why" some days feel really hard.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but a simple answer is to take some time to recover and heal up... Take care of your body... if you don't you can end up like I did and forced to take months off.
2015-05-18 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds to me your body is telling you it needs to rest and heal. I recommend listening to it.
2015-05-18 9:49 PM

HR up, slower pace. . . it was hot and humid the past couple days in my neck of the woods, how bout by you?

2015-05-18 10:53 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

It has been warmer here but not by much. My tendon feels pretty good now. I ran Saturday at my horrible pace and was just plane exhausted. Tendon ached that night but felt fine by noon on Sunday. I'm going to to try a track workout tomorrow and see how I do. I compared last week's track workout with one I did last year and it was way slower and my HR was much higher too. I'm hoping it was just a bug but I don't have that unstoppable feeling like I had 2 months ago.
2015-05-19 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Blastman

It has been warmer here but not by much. My tendon feels pretty good now. I ran Saturday at my horrible pace and was just plane exhausted. Tendon ached that night but felt fine by noon on Sunday. I'm going to to try a track workout tomorrow and see how I do. I compared last week's track workout with one I did last year and it was way slower and my HR was much higher too. I'm hoping it was just a bug but I don't have that unstoppable feeling like I had 2 months ago.

Like Chris I monitor my HRV and most often bad workouts are correlated with bad HRV

I have a really good HR to pace or HR to power correlation so measuring "bad workouts" on the bike and run is easy

For the swim, I still can't figure out why some days are just "off". I think hard bikes the day before a swim have more impact than anything else. So does a bad HRV day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast one week, slow the next Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two Tri's In Two Weeks w/ One week of Training

Started by XCtoTri
Views: 2428 Posts: 13

2012-08-13 11:55 AM XCtoTri

Recovery week into week one

Started by everlong
Views: 945 Posts: 9

2012-02-05 2:39 PM everlong

Slow is fast: 5 weeks at Zone 2

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1097 Posts: 10

2008-02-15 2:44 PM Daremo

Fast, Average or slow?

Started by stchase34
Views: 1022 Posts: 24

2006-07-21 7:43 AM The Mac

Slow-twitch vs. fast-twitch cells - discuss

Started by waskelton
Views: 1893 Posts: 24

2005-08-26 8:42 PM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 0
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 0
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.