General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best program for beginning swimmer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-17 10:38 AM

New user

Augusta Ga
Subject: Best program for beginning swimmer?
Beginning to start training for a couple of Sprint triathlons and can only swim 50 meters without rest at this time. I have purchased triathlon swimming made easy ( total immersion) as well as the swim smooth book. Any thoughts on which is best and how long it should take to build up to be able to comfortably swim 500 meters? Will be training 3-4 times a week. Getting a swim coach is not an option.

2015-05-18 9:24 AM
in reply to: scott14

User image

Subject: RE: Best program for beginning swimmer?
In my opinion just spend more time in swimming pool instead of books.

Try "0 to 1650 in 6 Weeks" http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

It took long time for me to get breathing, I used to swim 25m-50m max for such a long time that I almost gave up. Then suddenly I started to swim 500m just after one week of my 50m. Also open water gives so much confidence after, now I feel much more comfortable in water.
2015-05-18 9:33 AM

User image

Really need to focus on form and breathing up front. One of the first things that I focus on with new swimmers is to develop a rhythmic breathing pattern. If a swimmer isn't breathing properly they have a great deal of difficulty in learning anything else. Additionally form and kick really need to be addressed or you will just ingrain bad habits that will be much harder to change later. If you cannot afford a swim coach at least ask other competent swimmers at the pool to look at what you are doing. A swim coach at least for a few sessions can really pay off in the long run. Efficiency can be increased by well over a 100% with a good swim coach in just a few sessions...
2015-05-25 10:42 PM
in reply to: Yuriy

New user

Augusta Ga
Well give that a try, thanks.
2015-05-25 10:48 PM
in reply to: sdalcher

New user

Augusta Ga
I can afford a coach but know of none in my area (Augusta Ga). They have basic swim lessons at the Y but I'm not sure that would be any help. My breathing rhythm is good I think, I breath bilateral but my kick is terrible and I know my legs sink. Swimming is the only thing holding me back from competing so I'm very frustrated. Thanks for your advice.
2015-05-26 3:59 AM
in reply to: #5116097

If you know you are having kick problems try adding some time with a kick board to focus on it. Isolating your kick from the rest of your swimming stroke can allow you to focus on that aspect without having to do everything at once. Eventually you can add your improved kick into your swim and it will become natural.

2015-05-26 6:48 AM

Originally posted by scott14

I can afford a coach but know of none in my area (Augusta Ga). They have basic swim lessons at the Y but I'm not sure that would be any help. My breathing rhythm is good I think, I breath bilateral but my kick is terrible and I know my legs sink. Swimming is the only thing holding me back from competing so I'm very frustrated. Thanks for your advice.

If you can only swim 50m I would think basic lessons is exactly what you need. Normally lessons at the Y are broken down by skill level, so they could evaluate you and determine which class. Or sign up for private lessons with them. The downside of the Y and Red Cross lessons is sometimes they only focus on survival swimming rather than exercise or the competative strokes. But the instructors know how to teach the other stuff if you make your needs felt. Swim America is also an option. My understanding is that its program is usually run by swim clubs. They seem to focus more on mechanics that just survival.

You other option is to contact various swim teams and see if a coach will give you lessons.
2015-05-26 7:44 AM

User image

Freestyle stroke really doesn't need much of a kick. One of the biggest issues with beginning swimmers is they feel like they have to kick like crazy to go any where. Free style (front Crawl) gets its power from the arms and shoulders. Kicking a great deal wastes a lot of energy with little benefit in the form of speed. I use a two beat kick (2 kicks per arm cycle) and the kicks are really just a natural rhythm and don't really contribute much. Many new swimmers feel like the kick is what keeps them moving and this isn't the case. Also make sure that your head is down and this will help alleviate your feet/legs from sinking. A swim coach is a worthwhile investment, especially at the beginning.
2015-05-26 12:35 PM

At my health club they have both a full-blown USMS program and another program they call "Masters Basic" for people who may already understand survival swimming but want to start swimming [better/faster/longer]. It's coached by one of the USMS coaches and is focused more on individual stroke development. The classes have lots of rest and use drills targeted towards your specific weaknesses.

It may be worth researching local Masters programs and seeing if there's something similar. And if not, seeing if one of the Masters coaches would be willing to work with you separately. From my experience you can make some progress on your own but if you really want to get better quicker you need someone on the deck to watch your stroke and provide effective feedback to make you more efficient.
2015-05-26 1:57 PM

I can afford a coach but know of none in my area (Augusta Ga). They have basic swim lessons at the Y but I'm not sure that would be any help.

I googled "augusta ga swim lessons". The first hit was this place
http://iswimdolphin.com/
The list triathlon training as one of the classes. As well as adult, private and semi private. Contact them and discuss your needs.
2015-05-26 2:46 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

I can afford a coach but know of none in my area (Augusta Ga). They have basic swim lessons at the Y but I'm not sure that would be any help.

I googled "augusta ga swim lessons". The first hit was this place
http://iswimdolphin.com/
The list triathlon training as one of the classes. As well as adult, private and semi private. Contact them and discuss your needs.

It may be worth it to talk to some of those basic instructors at the Y. Some of them are most likely competitive swimmers and teaching the basics to kids. So if they are willing to do some private lessons , that can be a good way to go.

2015-05-28 12:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swim 20 x 25 rest 20 sec between... use the pace clock and try and improve your average time.

Do that for 2 weeks. Post again after. You need to train like a kid, trust me.
2015-05-30 3:09 AM
in reply to: mike761

New user

Augusta Ga
Just looked the "dolphin academy" website up, looks like a great option, 10 minutes from my house and very affordable. Thanks for the help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best program for beginning swimmer? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginning Swimmer

Started by scm724
Views: 931 Posts: 12

2010-09-13 4:29 PM nadaswimmer

Beginning Swimmer - help?

Started by Shortyy
Views: 1044 Posts: 10

2007-02-28 5:56 PM KSH

Encouragement for Beginning Swimmers(long..sorry)

Started by jmickle11
Views: 1406 Posts: 12

2006-12-09 9:21 AM retiretotri

Beginning swimmer please help =X

Started by Metalmasters2k
Views: 1216 Posts: 15

2005-02-22 1:04 AM Metalmasters2k

beginning swimmer

Started by mikestrug
Views: 1004 Posts: 11

2004-11-09 9:13 PM newtrichic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : January 18, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.

date : April 3, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 0
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.
date : March 5, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 5
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.