General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injuries and cancellations! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-19 6:11 AM

User image

Subject: Injuries and cancellations!
Hey fellow BTers!

About two months ago I noticed a niggle on the back of my ankle. made a post about it, did a whole lot of internet research and started making some changes. These included some time off running, lots of stretching and rolling my calves, and buying some heel raisers for inside my running shoes. It was going ok, I was back to about 25km/week, then last week it suddenly flared back up. I went to a physiotherapist today, who has advised it appears to be an inflammation issue, has given me some exercises, and some guidelines. Do exercises, ice, strap it up... And no running for at least two weeks, and we will see how it is. Cycling, swim, and gym have been given the all clear and have never caused me issues.

After this it seems I will be ok to start again, and perhaps do some of my run training on a cross trainer at the gym. I have no issue taking time off, especially in the long run (and seeing a few threads on here recently related to achilles issues). My issue is I am already signed up for a bunch of races, and in my explaining, please bear in mind the longest I have ever run is a HM. I did it mid last year off some serious under training and while I enjoyed the race, I knew I wasn't ready, and this year I was planning to be ready for both another HM and a full, in July and October respectively.

As my intention is to be fully ready for whatever distance I tackle, I would love to hear some advice about whether I should be resting up and then working my way back up, and strengthening my body in winter (I am not a strong overall person, though it's been improving!) My other issue is I am getting a series of tattoos over the next 3 months, so have to take about 2.5 months off swimming. Leaving just cycling and gym, I was really hoping to up my running! Ironic! One of my questions is if doing leg strength work is something I should also put on hold (I KNOW I need stronger calves) but don't want to inflame the issue further!

I know this might seem like a case of I know I should be taking it easy with the running, but it is... And I would love to hear from people who've been in the same situation! My thoughts are to drop the HM to maybe 10k or cancel completely, and drop the marathon to a half instead.

Thanks heaps! Ash

2015-05-19 7:39 AM
in reply to: engima

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Subject: RE: Injuries and cancellations!
What do you mean by a "niggle". That sounds like something I'd run through. Not saying you should but I'm wondering how much pain and discomfort you are feeling?

I tend to be skeptical of solutions or advice that's overly specific. Heel raisers in your shoes and the need to strengthen your calves for example. I'd be concerned that modifying my shoes would be likely to make things worse rather than better. And I doubt that your calves need strengthening.

I'm not sure what you mean by running on the cross trainer. Unfortunately there's no real substitute for running. Rest for as long as you need to and then ease back into the running. Start at low intensity and build up distance gradually. Don't overdo the long run - no more than 30 percent of total weekly mileage is a common guideline.

Don

2015-05-19 7:44 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

For myself, when I tore my IT band and was also dealing with hip flexor issues, I simply needed to take some time off from running. I continued cycling (mountain biking, mainly) and was able to maintain some basic fitness while I was out of running. When I cam back, I got back into the gym, focusing on strength training, working on getting my body back up and running better. It's been a great discipline for me and has helped me come back stronger with my running. The time off gave me time to heal, which I needed. I tried to run through it a few weeks after the injury, and it kept aggravating it. I probably could have kept running through it, but it was sore all the time and I couldn't run well nor could I run long. So for me, the best option was some time off from running, giving my body ample time to heal.
2015-05-20 2:09 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Originally posted by donw

What do you mean by a "niggle". That sounds like something I'd run through. Not saying you should but I'm wondering how much pain and discomfort you are feeling?

I tend to be skeptical of solutions or advice that's overly specific. Heel raisers in your shoes and the need to strengthen your calves for example. I'd be concerned that modifying my shoes would be likely to make things worse rather than better. And I doubt that your calves need strengthening.

I'm not sure what you mean by running on the cross trainer. Unfortunately there's no real substitute for running. Rest for as long as you need to and then ease back into the running. Start at low intensity and build up distance gradually. Don't overdo the long run - no more than 30 percent of total weekly mileage is a common guideline.

Don

Hey Don, thanks for the reply! It started off as a niggle, I took a couple of weeks off, raced two more Olys then another couple of weeks off, then started really slow (think, 2 x 3-5km, and 1 x 7-10km) run each week, then last week it really flared up and was causing ankle pain during the day and causing some serious stiffness. My google-fu told me it was achilles tendonitis or at least symptoms of, and I went to the physio as a precaution!

Thanks for the advice on the 30% long run, I guess most of mine have been closer to 50 or 60 %

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

For myself, when I tore my IT band and was also dealing with hip flexor issues, I simply needed to take some time off from running. I continued cycling (mountain biking, mainly) and was able to maintain some basic fitness while I was out of running. When I cam back, I got back into the gym, focusing on strength training, working on getting my body back up and running better. It's been a great discipline for me and has helped me come back stronger with my running. The time off gave me time to heal, which I needed. I tried to run through it a few weeks after the injury, and it kept aggravating it. I probably could have kept running through it, but it was sore all the time and I couldn't run well nor could I run long. So for me, the best option was some time off from running, giving my body ample time to heal.

Thanks! How long did you take off running, and what was your approach when you started it back up?

My concern at the moment is not taking time off running... It's whether I keep the temptation of trying to train for my first marathon dangling in front of my eyes, or if I back it off with the intent of a bit more recovery/no temptation!

Sorry if my first post was a bit long winded and all over the place!

Cheers
2015-05-20 9:08 PM
in reply to: engima

User image

Extreme Veteran
It's far better to go into an event a little undertrained but healthy, than it is to go in fully trained, but having an injury that will prevent you from doing the race.

Take the time and cross train!! It'll come back!
2015-05-24 1:40 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Originally posted by dfquigley

It's far better to go into an event a little undertrained but healthy, than it is to go in fully trained, but having an injury that will prevent you from doing the race.

Take the time and cross train!! It'll come back!

Thanks mate, I really like that advice! I saw the physio again yesterday morning, and had no pain so went for a easy (by effort, at least) 60km... Now it's a bit painful on the back again. I am thinking maybe a couple of weeks off everything might be the way to go I hate doing nothing, though! Makes me feel so lazy...

Cheers guys!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injuries and cancellations! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How does swim cancellation affect decision to register

Started by scott319
Views: 935 Posts: 5

2009-06-01 10:17 AM Experior

back injury

Started by trilover
Views: 738 Posts: 4

2004-04-06 11:58 AM trilover

Hip injury

Started by natasha
Views: 1080 Posts: 4

2004-02-23 5:59 PM tech_geezer

Illiopsoas injury

Started by geoffs
Views: 971 Posts: 4

2004-02-18 10:42 AM geoffs

Question on possible Running injury

Started by neokrotmo
Views: 1342 Posts: 6

2004-02-17 3:12 AM JaWaLav
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
*The past few weeks I have had this dull, sometimes sharp pain around my ankle. It's on the front of my ankle (which is weird). I get the most pain when swimming.

date : January 25, 2013
This article covers a variety of injuries that can lead to knee pain.
date : December 22, 2011
comments : 2
Three sports medicine Doctors discuss the results of our user injury poll

date : January 9, 2010
author : Dr. Mark Klion
Dr. Mark Klion, NYC Triathlon co-medical director, gives an in-depth discussion on overuse injuries from triathlon training and what do for prevention and healing.
date : February 11, 2009
comments : 0
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : February 11, 2008
As I begin to ramp up my training I was wondering if there is any evidence of strength training or weight lifting for reducing injuries?
date : May 8, 2007
Do you have any ideas about why my body does not fully heal these many muscle injuries and is having an especially difficult time healing my calf?

date : July 30, 2006
Injuries do happen, and we would like to discuss a few injuries that are common. All of these injuries can fall under the category of what are commonly called overuse injuries.