General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training question--NOT about chocolate! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-19 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Training question--NOT about chocolate!
Posting it here in hopes I get some more ideas from folks who may have done something like this....

Basically, I was not too happy with my time at my last HIM (5:57). While I did a PB of nearly 30 minutes on the bike time (1:58:40), a combo of illness and extreme heat derailed my run and I was 30 minutes over my best split on that (2:13 something OMG). I really would like to see what I could do when not ill and battling triple digit temps. Not sure if I can actually get to another race or not due to family issues, but I'm looking at the possibility of a HIM on July 11 in the US. (If it doesn't work out, will just do a local Oly in late July and focus my training on that instead.)

If I did do the HIM, what would be the best "bridge" between where I am now (10 days post HIM) and mid-July? I took 6 days off any training (except for one easy swim) and am spending this week doing short (30-40 minute) runs/rides/swims at recovery effort. This is probably a bit conservative, but last time I made the mistake of coming back to training (particularly long runs and run speedwork) too early and hard, and suffered a string of nagging illnesses and injuries. Plus I was sick with cold/flu symptoms for my race last week and still getting over it with a bit of residual congestion. No soreness since last Wed., feel great in the pool, but I do feel a bit slow/tired when running and am sleeping more than usual. Not sure how much is due to illness and how much to race recovery. I'm thinking that by next week I'd be ready to get back to more normal training, whatever that should be.

My logs are up to date. My training went very well--averaging about 15 hours/week before taper-- until I got sick about three days before the race, and my fitness in all three areas is strong. Just not sure of the best way to maintain it without physical (or mental) burnout. I will be returning home to the US on June 14, until then will be here, so heat will be continue to be a factor although my summer races are unlikely to be in anything I would consider heat. I know when I did something similar last time (after my first HIM attempt got derailed by weather) I picked out one area that I really needed to work on--bike endurance--and mainly focused on that. I cut back overall volume and in fact didn't even train every day but hit a couple key workouts in each sport each week. (Kind of a de-facto decision as we were traveling for much of the time. OWS when I could find a good lake, long ride when I found a good route, etc.) I had also incorporated some altitude training, but that won't be happening this year.

It's a bit of a different situation in that the two races are further apart (7 weeks compared to four), I've actually completed the first HIM rather than a truncated version, and I'll still be here training in the horrific heat for three more weeks. I'm having trouble figuring out what I should get back to doing, and how much is needed to maintain strong fitness and staying healthy, as opposed to building it. Ideas?

2015-05-21 9:56 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Training question--NOT about chocolate!

With 7 weeks, I would do a 5-6 week block of similar training to what you just did with a 1-2 week taper.  If the hours may be too much of a 'grind' for you, then try to back off some and use a little bit more intensity (though it already looks like you already use a decent bit on the bike).  Another idea is, if possible, don't do your long run and long ride back-to-back.  Don't be afraid to drop the ST during that time, too.

2015-05-21 5:23 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In other words, go back and repeat the peak training block? Will have to look back at what I actually did LOL. (I made up my own plan with bits and pieces of a couple different ones.)

Sadly, long run and bike have to be back to back while I'm working here due to the heat and available time. I can only ride aero in a safe situation on the road on Sunday mornings, I really can't handle a long run before work. (My job has me on my feet for most of a 10-hour day.), and there's no safe place to do it after work (too much traffic, inadequate street lighting). Once I'm back in the US in June, I can split up those workouts. I don't normally do ST at that time as I don't have cheap access to a gym at home. In any case, my ST routine is not very intense and is mainly some injury-prevention/maintenance stuff (for a history of hamstring issues) and some stretching.
2015-05-22 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
A bit wacko, but I think I will go back and do the first week of taper (where I'd cut volume to about ten hours) before getting back into a peak training week. I'm coming off three weeks of doing very little training and really just over whatever yuck virus I came down with (colds/flu are more difficult for me to get over due to asthma) and I just don't feel ready to hit 15 hours next week. Then go back and do five of the peak weeks, and a taper of just one week.

Taper just defeats me. I never seem to get it right. Every time I do a serious taper (over one week) I seem to get sick with nasty cold/flu/bronchitis/sinus infection viruses. This has happened for I think four races in the past three years--once for the same race, two years in a row! Oddly, I rarely get sick at other times. Yet one can't not taper from peak HIM training. No idea what the magic bullet is here, or if there is one.
2015-05-26 9:33 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Sounds like a reasonable plan.  Unlikely the taper causes your illnesses.  Possible that the peak training helps weaken your defenses and it just happens to hit you at the end of the block (thus, in the taper).  Or might just be bad luck! 

Anyway, good luck this time! 

2015-05-26 6:59 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks! At least this time I won't be teaching during the final peak weeks, nor during taper, so hopefully that means less potential exposure to illnesses from my kiddos. (In two cases I got sick right after a school vacation. I think they bring the viruses back from their travels!) Spring is also our hottest time of year (visualize training in a typical day at Kona, every day), so I'm wondering if that's additional stress that's pushing me over the edge when I train. I don't know if anyone's come up with a formula to add that to training stress? I have moved to doing most of my more intense bike and run training by heart rate rather than just pace or RPE so I know not to push beyond the goal of the workout (recovery, endurance, tempo, etc.).

"Reverse taper" going well so far--the slightly lower volume and less ambitious speed work is a good transition back into full-on training, both mentally and physically. (Last week, I looked at one of my peak weeks and thought OMG, I did that?)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training question--NOT about chocolate! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

When to start Planning-not training

Started by detscourt
Views: 1603 Posts: 8

2010-09-17 3:54 PM jamiej

12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 14163 Posts: 24

2009-07-17 12:01 PM magic

Hydration/electrolytes - When not training

Started by gibboweiser
Views: 585 Posts: 3

2009-06-11 4:39 PM DanielG

HIM 27 week training plan-Not too confident

Started by Gregkl
Views: 901 Posts: 7

2008-04-09 2:24 PM Gregkl

Things that are probably not wise to do while IM training

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1184 Posts: 5

2007-02-11 7:38 AM timberleaf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Lose weight by eating chocolate for breakfast. Refuel after your workouts not with a sports drink, but instead with chocolate milk.

date : August 10, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 3
Is chocolate healthy? Is it little more than an alluring form of refined sugar, saturated fat and empty calories? Or does chocolate have positive qualities to help athletes?
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.