General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovering from fractures from a bike crash and planning races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-19 3:59 PM

Subject: Recovering from fractures from a bike crash and planning races
Hi,

I know everyone is different, and everyone nurse their injuries in different ways and plan out a future schedule of racing.

The reason I am writing is because I recently suffered a bike crash in a triathlon race, and ended up with broken bones. And am looking to get some mental blockage cleared, about racing Vineman Half-Ironman in mid-July.

Injury- 6 fractures on my thoracic and lumbar region. These are on the supporting bones, and not on the spine, so I am able to walk and move my legs.
Its been past 4 weeks now.

Cycling - I have successfully been able to hop onto a trainer in the gym and do some spinning. But I do not get down into aero position right now, will take more time.

I tried running - Running makes me feel as if there is something that is bouncing on my back. So I have still kept that on hold, and am continuing to walk.

Swimming - I haven't tried yet. I feel a kind of pull in my back. However, I have tried few resistance workouts in the gym for my back.
I will try dipping into a pool in another 2-3 days.

Overall, I am yet not sure if I will be able to do the Half-Ironman in mid July. And I have end of May to pull out of the race and loose my registration money.

Has anyone had such experiences of accidents causing bone fractures, and then returning to do a race within few months ? I am definitely not expecting a peak performance here, rather just trying to use my race fees.

2015-05-19 4:21 PM
in reply to: sikhstride

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Recovering from fractures from a bike crash and planning races

As you said, everyone is different, and have different priorities when it comes to money. The fact is, the money is spent whether you do the event or not, so it's sunk funds. With that in mind, I would weigh the risk of further injury both in the event, and even pushing myself to get ready for it -- what's that worth?

Yes, it often does help to have some kind of carrot to keep one on task, but this is one task best not rushed, in my opinion.

2015-05-19 4:53 PM

Ouch. And I felt bad for myself over a bruise the size of a cantaloupe and a baseball sized bit of road rash.
It does itch like a banshee right now, so I'm still complaining.

Hope all goes well for you. You will recover. I can feel it. I can feel it in my bones. Either that, or the bruise is just throbbing.
2015-05-20 10:17 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro
NJ

broken bones, even non-weight bearing, take time to heal. But they will heal given proper care. How long, depends. Ive broken quite a few. last year I suffered multiple fractures in a bike crash in May. I was a DNS for Timberman in August. It sounds like this is a good discussion to have with your physician.

2015-05-20 1:59 PM

Thank you folks, for the responses. I do have time to decide, so will definitely give it a time. And yes we all try to save few carrots, but in the process I do not want a long term injury.

2015-05-20 5:01 PM

User image

Not exactly the same, but thought I would share. About 15 years ago was in a bad T bone type crash and was having all kinds of back issues. I tried physical therapy, chiropractors, etc. nothing really seemed to help. A good friend suggested that I try swimming as it was low impact and would help restore range of movement, blood flow, etc. I thought why not? Nothing else seemed to do any good for the last 18 months. Within 6 weeks I had regained all of my range of motion and negated the worst of my back issues. From that point on swimming has been a regular exercise that I enjoy for many reasons. So you may want to give that swim a try and see how it goes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovering from fractures from a bike crash and planning races Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone recovered from a tibial stress fracture?

Started by Ybeal
Views: 2519 Posts: 10

2012-02-28 8:28 AM Miles around Midtown

Crash and burn Mav, crash and burn!

Started by cwsiii
Views: 2788 Posts: 19

2008-03-24 10:10 AM jamesehatcher

Bike Race Crash Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by KathyG
Views: 2975 Posts: 83

2007-06-13 8:49 PM shanem

figuring out recover-taper during race season

Started by autumn
Views: 580 Posts: 6

2005-06-29 10:04 AM autumn

recovering after ankle fracture

Started by TNTtri
Views: 1351 Posts: 7

2004-02-09 11:29 AM TriMom217
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 10, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
A concussion is a complicated injury. Recovery can be several days to weeks. There are several things that you can do to minimize future or repeated risks of a concussion.

date : October 18, 2012
comments : 3
How long before I will notice major improvement? How long in the sling? Should I do any kind of exercise or rehab while in your sling?
date : May 9, 2011
Stress fractures are one of the most feared injuries in the realm of endurance sports and they are also one of the most common sidelining injuries that such athletes face.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.