2015-05-21 12:59 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Bought Speed

Originally posted by triathlonpal07
Originally posted by spudone

3. It's again at pro speeds, so the seconds gained at AG level will not be the same, thereby making the $/second a higher ratio

bzzt, try again.

You wanna give more explanation as to why I'm wrong rather than just saying "you're wrong"? There is a reason that when they give this wind tunnel data they give the speed at which they tested it; namely, the higher the speed, the more the wind resistance and therefore the more aerodynamics plays a role. That means that at the average pro speed, the difference in drag creates more of an advantage in Time/Distance than at the slower average AG speed. So, the point stands. The seconds gained for an upgrade in aerodynamics will be more at a higher speed.

actually you gain more time overall at a slower pace....because you're out there for longer. 

2015-05-21 1:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

3. It's again at pro speeds, so the seconds gained at AG level will not be the same, thereby making the $/second a higher ratio

bzzt, try again.

You wanna give more explanation as to why I'm wrong rather than just saying "you're wrong"? There is a reason that when they give this wind tunnel data they give the speed at which they tested it; namely, the higher the speed, the more the wind resistance and therefore the more aerodynamics plays a role. That means that at the average pro speed, the difference in drag creates more of an advantage in Time/Distance than at the slower average AG speed. So, the point stands. The seconds gained for an upgrade in aerodynamics will be more at a higher speed.

actually you gain more time overall at a slower pace....because you're out there for longer. 

Correct.

Lets say you make an aerodynamic improvement such as race wheels.  At 30 mph, you might save 0.4 mph, and at 20 mph, you might save 0.25 mph.  It is true that at higher speeds, aerodynamics play a bigger factor, and improvements will yield more SPEED gains.  But over a given course, that doesn't mean TIME gains will be any different, or as triathlonpal put it "seconds gained at the AG level will not be the same and $/second a higher ratio."

Over the course of a 10 mile course, a 0.4 mph improvement from 30 mph to 30.4 mph will result in a 15.79 second time improvement.

Over that same course, a 0.25 mph improvement from 20 mph to 20.25 mph will result in a 18.83 second time improvement.

So it is very possible that the slower rider, despite a smaller bump in speed gains, will still benefit from more time saved, and a better $/second ratio.

Edited by Jason N 2015-05-21 1:19 PM
2015-05-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

, North Carolina
Originally posted by Jason N

bzzt, try again.

Correct.

Lets say you make an aerodynamic improvement such as race wheels.  At 30 mph, you might save 0.4 mph, and at 20 mph, you might save 0.25 mph.  It is true that at higher speeds, aerodynamics play a bigger factor, and improvements will yield more SPEED gains.  But over a given course, that doesn't mean TIME gains will be any different, or as triathlonpal put it "seconds gained at the AG level will not be the same and $/second a higher ratio."

Over the course of a 10 mile course, a 0.4 mph improvement from 30 mph to 30.4 mph will result in a 15.79 second time improvement.

Over that same course, a 0.25 mph improvement from 20 mph to 20.25 mph will result in a 18.83 second time improvement.

So it is very possible that the slower rider, despite a smaller bump in speed gains, will still benefit from more time saved, and a better $/second ratio.

Ok, I see what you are getting at. The speed gain is lower but the time gain is higher.

But still, the $/second gained is way higher with an upgrade in Bike than other available upgrades. Unless you really just wanna throw money around, it is better spent in other places than a new bike.
2015-05-21 2:04 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

bzzt, try again.

Correct.

Ok, I see what you are getting at. The speed gain is lower but the time gain is higher. But still, the $/second gained is way higher with an upgrade in Bike than other available upgrades. Unless you really just wanna throw money around, it is better spent in other places than a new bike.

Position is key. Not so much the bike.

If you need a new frame to enable you to get you into that more aero position, then yes, the bike matters. If you can adapt your current position on your current frame... then maybe a bike is not the most bang for your buck. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bought Speed Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Bike question -- can I buy speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by StevenK
Views: 2319 Posts: 30

2010-01-06 9:49 PM pschriver

You can buy speed Pages: 1 2 3

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 2424 Posts: 53

2009-06-27 9:09 PM MikeJ

Buying Speed?

Started by E=H2O
Views: 497 Posts: 2

2008-12-30 12:26 PM sty

Buying speed: The Virtual Pull-Buoy

Started by Bill
Views: 1267 Posts: 7

2006-11-13 6:49 PM run4yrlif

Best value in buying speed... Pages: 1 2

Started by rkreuser
Views: 1728 Posts: 30

2006-10-19 3:35 PM kenail
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 25, 2014
author : jtriathlete
comments : 12
I'm jumping back into the long-distance races next year and I'm wondering the best way to spend my money? Should I buy a new bike or a powermeter and race wheels?

date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.