General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Energy gels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-19 5:14 PM

Subject: Energy gels
Hello people !
I am a 16 Year old triathlete and this june the 7th i will be competing in my first Olympic distance triathlon.
Because i have been doing 1/8th triathlon for over 4 years now i do know my ins and outs to the sport but i do have a question.
since i will be doing my first long-ish triathlon i was wondering which energy gel is the best to use.
Kind regarts
Ruben

2015-05-19 6:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Energy gels
In Olympic distance you probably won't be taking in that much nutrition--probably one to two gels on the bike and one on the run. Some people just use a sports drink with calories instead. There are a lot of different kinds of gels and I've found it's mainly a matter of experimenting to find those whose taste and texture are palatable and don't upset your stomach. Try some of them in training, especially on a longer or more intense effort, to see what works. In general, the ones with a sweeter flavor or thicker consistency can be harder to get down if you have a tendency toward gagging/nausea at race intensity. A thinner gel with a less intense flavor (or sports drink) might work better. For longer efforts, they can be a bit thicker or have stronger flavors (if you like). Some people also use solid food (like energy bars, chocolate, dried fruit) for HIM and up but for Oly I'd recommend gels or liquids due to convenience.

My personal favorites for Oly distance are Hammer Apple Cinnamon for the bike, and Powerbar Tangerine for the run. Both have a thinner consistency, and the tangerine also has electrolytes and caffeine. The chocolate-based flavors are popular but I find them hard to swallow in a short more intense race. Do like them for training and longer events, though.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-19 6:14 PM
2015-05-19 6:44 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

New user
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I just bought a box of Boom! gels from http://www.boomnutrition.com. Good taste, good ingredients.
2015-05-19 7:13 PM
in reply to: Ruben nijenhuis

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Congrats Ruben on signing up for an Olympic!

Yes for that distance you probably can't go wrong. Try a bunch out and see what you like. I too was hooked on Hammer Apple Cinamon for a couple of seasons (they taste like apple pie) but now I'm liking alternating between peanut butter flavor and chocolate flavor in the same outing. I think they're Gu brand and I buy them by the case. Its like a Reese's Cup!

Many folks will include gels with caffeine (me included). There is good evidence that it improves your performance in endurance events.
2015-05-19 7:24 PM
in reply to: #5116751

User image

Welcome to the sport.

I've found gels to be highly personal. Some work for some, and not for others. They key is to try a variety during training and see what works best for you. Race day shouldn't be the first time you're using one.

Have a great race!
2015-05-20 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Ruben nijenhuis Hello people ! I am a 16 Year old triathlete and this june the 7th i will be competing in my first Olympic distance triathlon. Because i have been doing 1/8th triathlon for over 4 years now i do know my ins and outs to the sport but i do have a question. since i will be doing my first long-ish triathlon i was wondering which energy gel is the best to use. Kind regarts Ruben

Powerbar gels because it's thinner than most.  Easier to get down for me.

Before your race, you need to try this out on a training day.

2015-05-20 7:23 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Welcome to BT!

Try different brands and flavors before your event to decide what works for you.
Things to consider:

Taste- lots of different flavors if you don't like the taste it will be hard to get down.
Consistency- some are thinner than others, pay attention to how hot it is when you try them. if you use a Gu in 90° weather and a Hammer in 60° it's not a good comparison.

Packet size- May seem silly but I don't use the hammer gels basically because the packaging is so much bigger
Caffeine- some have caffeine and some don't even within the same brand. In training I do not care, but during a race I use stuff with caffeine( it does help)
2015-05-20 8:14 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

As noted, you may not need any if you are drinking any kind of sports drink for hydration--gels are basically concentrated sports drink.  I do usually use 1 or 2 gels on the bike.  It doesn't matter which brand you use.  Just pick a flavor you like.  And remember to take water with it.  I'll usually put the gels in a flask and mix with water ahead of time so that they are partially diluted already and easier to swallow.  I wouldn't try a gel on the run in an oly.

2015-05-20 8:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually, Powerbar and Hammer gels have a thinner consistency across all temperatures. The thicker gels are still thick at very high temps. (Have used them at heat index up to over 110F/40+C and down to high 40's/below 10 C, so I think I know what I speak of here.) But they do vary a lot by brand and probably, on the average, all gels are a bit thinner at very high temps. The ones with a firmer consistency (like Gu Roctane or Cliff Turbo) tend to have almost a grainy consistency when cold/cool, and get more sticky, almost gluelike when very hot (as in heat index over about 90/30 or 32 celsius). That may make a difference in your ability to get them down. I don't have issues with grainy gels; I do with sticky ones. Plus really hot/humid conditions in a shorter, more intense race (at least for me) can lead to more nausea. For that reason in hotter weather I tend to stick more with thinner gels, or at least take one as a backup if I can't get down a thicker one.

I usually take one gel on an Oly run. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't and just take in some sports drink. It's all based on how I feel. I'm less likely to take in the gel in extreme heat/humidity as even the thought of it might make me gag. While you do want to test things in training, be ready to adjust based on how you feel.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-20 8:22 AM
2015-05-20 8:51 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Cypress, Texas

When I was training for my first half Marathon 7-8 years ago I was in a mentored training group that one of the local running stores sponsored.  As part of the program they offered evening informational sessions once a month.  One of these evening sessions was a gel tasting night.  They put out about two dozen different gels so we could compare flavors, ingredients, etc.  That is one way to do it, or you could just take a different flavor with you on every work out for a month.

My favorite thing right now is our fresh local produced honey.  I wrap it in one table spoon saran wrapped pouches that I tear open with my teeth.  They work great.   

2015-05-20 9:02 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Ignore everything above.

Just stick to single serving mayonaise packets on the bike. Dutch gell pack.

Maybe a quick single serve yellow mustard to help with cramps on the run.

2015-05-20 10:24 AM
in reply to: #5116751

Hammer Apple-Cinnamon + Hammer Espresso = Apple pie n' coffee. Delightful.
2015-05-20 11:05 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Boom gels are pretty good. They were served during the marathon I ran this past Sunday. I'd buy them again. I stay away from Powergels because they taste horrid. GU gels are ok. You'll have to experiment and see which one you prefer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Energy gels Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best Energy Gel Pages: 1 2

Started by loutalarico
Views: 2085 Posts: 30

2007-12-24 7:42 PM DaveA

Can energy gels go bad?

Started by bostic
Views: 9414 Posts: 16

2007-08-29 6:00 PM max

homemade energy gel

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1690 Posts: 6

2006-10-15 6:57 AM Gav1866

Energy gel usage

Started by edholt
Views: 1540 Posts: 9

2006-07-29 9:22 AM us50090

Energy Gels?

Started by MUL98
Views: 936 Posts: 14

2004-07-20 1:23 PM soupaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : April 24, 2005
I can't get my gel pack out of my back pocket and then get it open to eat! I know this sounds really beginnerish, but what tricks or tools can I use to be able to have my food more accessible?
date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.