General Discussion Triathlon Talk » freestyle straight arm recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-19 10:23 PM

Subject: freestyle straight arm recovery
Do I need to change my recovery if I have straight arm recovery?
I'm a slow swimmer (maybe 1:50 per 100 yrds). I focus mostly on developing a good catch and pull. Once in a while a swimmer will tell me that I need to bend my elbow during the recovery. I've tried to change, but it just feels "unnatural," and when I fatigue I just go back to straight arm. I have a very windmill or swinger (as described in swim smooth) style stroke. It isn't pretty, lots of splash.
I just don't really understand why I need to change, except that a bent elbow will slightly reduce stroke time. Some of the swimmers have said I am more likely to get injured, but that has never happened. I feel perfectly fine. Also according to swim smooth, swinger style works fine, especially for triathletes. It seems like there are a few swimmers with this style (e.g. Janet Evans). It also seems more common in shorter people like me (5'6"). They just need to work on higher stroke rate.
Thoughts?

2015-05-20 7:12 AM
in reply to: hubcaps

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: freestyle straight arm recovery
Originally posted by hubcaps

Do I need to change my recovery if I have straight arm recovery?
I'm a slow swimmer (maybe 1:50 per 100 yrds). I focus mostly on developing a good catch and pull. Once in a while a swimmer will tell me that I need to bend my elbow during the recovery. I've tried to change, but it just feels "unnatural," and when I fatigue I just go back to straight arm. I have a very windmill or swinger (as described in swim smooth) style stroke. It isn't pretty, lots of splash.
I just don't really understand why I need to change, except that a bent elbow will slightly reduce stroke time. Some of the swimmers have said I am more likely to get injured, but that has never happened. I feel perfectly fine. Also according to swim smooth, swinger style works fine, especially for triathletes. It seems like there are a few swimmers with this style (e.g. Janet Evans). It also seems more common in shorter people like me (5'6"). They just need to work on higher stroke rate.
Thoughts?

You are rationalizing total crap!!!

First don't compare yourself to Janet Evans, that's like comparing a model T Ford to a brand new Ferrari.
Second you are free to swim any way you want however a 1:50/100 is not that great, and your technique could lead to shoulder injuries.

If you want to improve start bending your elbows, practice dragging your finger tips on recovery. You currently resort back to straight arm when tired because of muscle memory. Once you start bending your elbow all the time that will become your default.
2015-05-20 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Straight arm is a pretty advanced technique. I would say no for 98% of swimmers and 99.9% of trathletes.
2015-05-20 9:06 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

As someone familir to the occasional rotator cuff pain I would say my biggest improvements came from:

• Finger tip drag drill to get my arm return and entry sorted out.
  • Good rotation (roll) from the hips to clear the recovering arm. It created a more powerful stroke on the stroke side and more space for recovery and breathing on the recovery side.
2015-05-20 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Impossible to answer your question just based on your post.

Although likely well-intended, I wouldn't put too much stock in random advice from other swimmers.    

If you're that concerned about it, then I'd suggest seeking out a an experienced coach who can evaluate what you're doing.  Most folks have a completely different image in their mind's eye of what they're doing versus reality.  That's where a qualified objective viewpoint can be very helpful.

Just keep in mind that if you want to make a significant fundamental change to your stroke technique it's going to take a lot of focused effort and repetitive drills.

Good luck, 

Mark

2015-05-20 10:21 AM

User image

I use a straight-arm recovery because that's what works for me. I had one Masters coach try to get me to bend my elbows but it didn't work for me. My tri coach has me using a straight-arm recovery now. It's comfortable for me, works for me, and my times are better than with the bent elbows.

Do what works for you. Not everyone has the same stroke.

2015-05-20 2:19 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to swing by one of the tri shops to schedule a video analysis. The coaches' resumes look good.
2015-05-20 4:51 PM

User image

Your first post talked about a lot of splash, this is wasted energy. Take some time and really look at a few competent swimmers. You will notice that there isn't much splash and there isn't really any quick movement. Efficiency and streamlining are key elements to swimming faster. As another poster said, it's impossible to really get to the issue with just your written description. A good swim coach can be very valuable to you and help you get more efficient and faster in just a few short sessions. However, if you have no intention of listening or doing what they advise because it feels weird then you can probably just disregard all the people trying to give you sage advice. Try to throw a baseball with your non-dominate hand, feels weird right? Your other arm was like that when you first learned to throw. Embrace the change and work towards what your coach is telling you. Believe it or not there is a lot of science involved in swimming today.
2015-05-21 3:45 PM
in reply to: sdalcher

Don't get me wrong. I am not against advice at all. I just want good advice, which is why I made this posting. I need more sound advice. I just hate when I am given advice from people who don't give me a good reason for why I should change. I'm not referring to posts here. They are from my pool experience, which most recently was from the leader of a tri group. I don't necessarily trust his advice (I saw a lot of bad technique when I swam with the group. I was swimming right behind a guy who was scissor kicking and he made no comment of that).
I'm also well aware of the science out there. I do read a lot from sheila taormina, the race club and swim smooth. Swim smooth does mention swinger style works for some. FYI to the above poster, I was not comparing myself to janet evans. I was just using her as an example of someone who has an atypical style of swimming. I'm well aware that feeling unnatural doesn't mean that it is incorrect. For example, high elbow catch and pull felt strange, but there is a tone of evidence to support it. The bulk of my drills are focused on a good catch and pull and better stroke rate. There's not much out there regarding recovery.
2015-05-22 6:57 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by hubcaps

Don't get me wrong. I am not against advice at all. I just want good advice, which is why I made this posting. I need more sound advice. I just hate when I am given advice from people who don't give me a good reason for why I should change. I'm not referring to posts here. They are from my pool experience, which most recently was from the leader of a tri group. I don't necessarily trust his advice (I saw a lot of bad technique when I swam with the group. I was swimming right behind a guy who was scissor kicking and he made no comment of that).
I'm also well aware of the science out there. I do read a lot from sheila taormina, the race club and swim smooth. Swim smooth does mention swinger style works for some. FYI to the above poster, I was not comparing myself to janet evans. I was just using her as an example of someone who has an atypical style of swimming. I'm well aware that feeling unnatural doesn't mean that it is incorrect. For example, high elbow catch and pull felt strange, but there is a tone of evidence to support it. The bulk of my drills are focused on a good catch and pull and better stroke rate. There's not much out there regarding recovery.

The high elbow recovery helps align you for a proper catch. If you do a windmill style such as Janet Evans it is highly likely you will have problems with your catch and crossing over. I was a competitive swimmer for years and spent 11 years as an instructor and have seen very few people windmill successfully without blowing out a shoulder.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » freestyle straight arm recovery Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

new video: freestyle swimming (Arms underwater)

Started by Juanjo NTP
Views: 1656 Posts: 6

2013-11-22 4:36 PM msteiner

straight-arm swimming?? Pages: 1 2

Started by runk8run
Views: 3140 Posts: 35

2012-06-13 2:33 PM runk8run

Straight Arm Recovery

Started by jsklarz
Views: 1213 Posts: 1

2010-06-12 2:11 PM jsklarz

Recovery vs. Active Recovery

Started by cole18msu
Views: 1746 Posts: 19

2009-07-01 9:13 AM jkholden

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2507 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.

date : September 11, 2009
author : Total Immersion
comments : 1
In this third part, Terry Laughlin discusses how to achieve an optimal freestyle stroke and what drills go into developing a good stroke.
date : January 27, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on swimming post surgery, straight arm recovery, the top 3 errors in stroke technique, importance of kicking, swimming like a barge and swim golf for further improvement.

date : March 19, 2007
author : mrakes1
Straight Arm Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The most common question I hear in the triathlete world about the mysteries of swimming efficiently usually involves something with breathing.