General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1 going "on the fly" with shoes clipped in already Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-20 9:15 AM

Subject: T1 going "on the fly" with shoes clipped in already
Hi there,
Does anyone have some good advice or routine for coming into T1 and then going out on bike with shoes already on pedals? I have been practicing and it is not smooth! I can get going on bike, but then the pedals spin, and I waste time trying to get my feet into them.
Thanks!

2015-05-20 9:33 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: T1 going "on the fly" with shoes clipped in already

Use rubber bands to secure the shoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1cYBg4Xoo

2015-05-20 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

As per the previous post, there are several good demo videos on youtube that show you the fine points.  

Practice makes perfect.  I've got a big bag of rubber bands and will practice in front of my house repetitively before a race.  For me one of the keys is getting up a good head of steam so you'll be steady before you try to slip your feet in your shoes.  I think it's also important to keep your head up and slip your feet in by feel rather than having to look down.

I actually chose not to clip my shoes on ahead of time at St Anthony's this year.  My rack was close to bike out and there were a couple of tight turns and a bumpy stretch of pavers coming out of transition.  Thought it was more prudent to feel secure on my bike than try to save a few seconds.  

Mark

2015-05-20 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I spent three hours volunteering at a mount / dismount line earlier this month. A very small percentage of people are very fast and smooth using a flying mount and pre-clipped shoes. It was obvious that they're either very coordinated or have spent a lot of time practicing this. At least the end of their transitions were very fast. Their shoes were in the 3:00 and 9:00 positions, and they hopped on the bike with enough momentum to place their feet and start pedaling without having their shoes flop around. A decent amount of momentum seemed to be the key.

It appeared to me that "most" people save almost no time using this technique, as they spend so long fumbling with their shoes for the first 45-seconds of the bike leg, that their time savings from not putting their shoes on in T1 and running a little slower because of the bike shoes quickly evaporate. I also saw several people knock their shoes off a pedal when they tried to slip their foot in, forcing them to stop and run back to get their shoe. The worst were the people who had to look down to get their feet in the shoes and wobbled right into other racers.

A much higher percentage of people seemed to have really good dis-mounts with their shoes left on the pedals. Since everyone is slowing in preparation for T2, they didn't seem to be giving up any bike speed in the last minute or so, and they certainly seemed to be moving faster than most of the people wearing shoes.
2015-05-20 10:48 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by g_shotts

I spent three hours volunteering at a mount / dismount line earlier this month. A very small percentage of people are very fast and smooth using a flying mount and pre-clipped shoes. It was obvious that they're either very coordinated or have spent a lot of time practicing this. At least the end of their transitions were very fast. Their shoes were in the 3:00 and 9:00 positions, and they hopped on the bike with enough momentum to place their feet and start pedaling without having their shoes flop around. A decent amount of momentum seemed to be the key.

It appeared to me that "most" people save almost no time using this technique, as they spend so long fumbling with their shoes for the first 45-seconds of the bike leg, that their time savings from not putting their shoes on in T1 and running a little slower because of the bike shoes quickly evaporate. I also saw several people knock their shoes off a pedal when they tried to slip their foot in, forcing them to stop and run back to get their shoe. The worst were the people who had to look down to get their feet in the shoes and wobbled right into other racers.

A much higher percentage of people seemed to have really good dis-mounts with their shoes left on the pedals. Since everyone is slowing in preparation for T2, they didn't seem to be giving up any bike speed in the last minute or so, and they certainly seemed to be moving faster than most of the people wearing shoes.

^^^ Good observations- this is what I have noticed over the year, most people are not saving anything by having their shoes clipped in. Ironman events it is now(on the books since 2013) against the rule to clip your shoes in unless you are in the pro division.

If you do decide to pre clip your shoes make sure you practice a lot and don't interfere with other riders by weaving around or falling over. I took 4th in a sprint a couple years ago because someone fell over in front of me- my only choice was to dis-mount or ride over him( I dis-mounted). The 20-30 seconds cost me the podium.
2015-05-20 2:03 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by g_shotts I spent three hours volunteering at a mount / dismount line earlier this month. A very small percentage of people are very fast and smooth using a flying mount and pre-clipped shoes. It was obvious that they're either very coordinated or have spent a lot of time practicing this. At least the end of their transitions were very fast. Their shoes were in the 3:00 and 9:00 positions, and they hopped on the bike with enough momentum to place their feet and start pedaling without having their shoes flop around. A decent amount of momentum seemed to be the key. It appeared to me that "most" people save almost no time using this technique, as they spend so long fumbling with their shoes for the first 45-seconds of the bike leg, that their time savings from not putting their shoes on in T1 and running a little slower because of the bike shoes quickly evaporate. I also saw several people knock their shoes off a pedal when they tried to slip their foot in, forcing them to stop and run back to get their shoe. The worst were the people who had to look down to get their feet in the shoes and wobbled right into other racers. A much higher percentage of people seemed to have really good dis-mounts with their shoes left on the pedals. Since everyone is slowing in preparation for T2, they didn't seem to be giving up any bike speed in the last minute or so, and they certainly seemed to be moving faster than most of the people wearing shoes.
^^^ Good observations- this is what I have noticed over the year, most people are not saving anything by having their shoes clipped in. Ironman events it is now(on the books since 2013) against the rule to clip your shoes in unless you are in the pro division. If you do decide to pre clip your shoes make sure you practice a lot and don't interfere with other riders by weaving around or falling over. I took 4th in a sprint a couple years ago because someone fell over in front of me- my only choice was to dis-mount or ride over him( I dis-mounted). The 20-30 seconds cost me the podium.
Man that sucked! 

I tried the shoes clipped in route and decided to skip it.  Sure I could probably save a few seconds there but decided instead to just rubber band my crank so that it ready for me to hop on get clipped and go.  In the local races I'll often jog to the outside and past the start line if there's a boon-dongle of racers having the typical issues getting mounted. If no crowd then its mount and go at the line.

2015-05-20 4:54 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Originally posted by g_shotts

Wow! That was a very helpful synopsis of your observations. Thank you for sharing!
2015-05-20 5:09 PM

User image

What worked for me was just riding around taking my shoes on and off when they were still clipped in. After about 30 minutes of this i'm now at the point where I save time in my races. I plan to train on this for at least 1 hour right before my next race so it is fresh in my head right before the race.
2015-05-20 5:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I always put my bike shoes on in transition. Passed two people in last race that were trying to get feet in bike shoes while on bike. As said above, practice, practice and practice if you decide to go this route.

Much respect for the athletes that do it smoothly without any delay but I know it is better for me and other racers to skip the clipped in method. A man knows his limitations.

Edited by GODAWGS 2015-05-20 5:20 PM
2015-05-20 5:33 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GODAWGS I always put my bike shoes on in transition. Passed two people in last race that were trying to get feet in bike shoes while on bike. As said above, practice, practice and practice if you decide to go this route. Much respect for the athletes that do it smoothly without any delay but I know it is better for me and other racers to skip the clipped in method. A man knows his limitations.

Yeah, you've gotta be good to make it worth it.

Depending on the course, I almost never start with my shoes clipped in, but almost always dismount with them still clipped in. To me, the dismount is easier, and most courses that I've done make it hard to push the pace on the bike right up to the mount line.

2015-05-20 5:44 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I flying mount and dismount every race.  I have top transitions, and believe me they have been worth placement in races.  It isn't that hard.  That being said, if you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it.

also mounting tip for everyone.  Don't run to the line, stop in the middle of the road, and mount.  Get to the side if you don't know how to get on your bike, or run a few meters past the line. There isn't room for 20 people who can't mount a bicycle, right on the line.

2015-05-20 10:09 PM
in reply to: #5116895

Look, I get it if your in the pointy end of the race, but I see so many folks out there trying this to save what, 20 seconds? Taking them off coming into T2, absolutely go for it, but I'd guess 95% of the people trying to start the bike with a flying mount have no need to be doing it.
2015-05-20 10:12 PM

User image

What works for me is to reach down and grab to toe of my shoe to keep it up, then slide my foot in and fasten the straps.
Best of luck
2015-05-20 10:39 PM
in reply to: petersco1227

Thanks everyone. A lot of great information! Much appreciated. I think for the time being I will start by putting shoes on, and then clipping in. I have been practicing the other method on my street, but I would feel awful if I swerved into someone or caused someone else a delay. That is the last thing I want! So, for now, shoes on and then clip in until I learn better!
2015-05-21 12:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I recently did my first triathlon, and used the flying mount and dismount.

I spent a good 30-45 minutes just practicing mounting and dismounting, getting used to slipping feet in and out of shoes.

One thing that probably helped a lot was doing cyclocross a couple years back, where you're doing flying mounts/dismounts in order to jump barriers and run up dirt hills etc. and the whole running and hopping part is the same, as well as getting one leg over the top tube getting ready to pop out.

As a result, I came out of the water roughly 30th ( seeded pool swim ) out of 185 ish, the 2 people ahead of me both fell after the mount line trying to get on their bikes in a hurry, my wife says they weren't even doing the flying mounts, and the person behind me stopped in the middle of the road, tried to get onto his bike from a stop with the shoes clipped in just about falling over as well.

PRACTICE your transitions whatever you do!! ! :p ( especially with a high heart rate )

As a result of the practice I had the 19th fastest T1 of the day, and the 16th fastest bike split of the day, getting up to speed before getting to a point where I could coast for a few seconds before slipping my feet in.

My T2 was only 28th because my garmin was still attached to the quick release on my bike after I racked it and I lost time retrieving it.
2015-05-21 7:19 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
If you are going to do it, practice so that it is second nature; bear in mind these are professionals who have presumably done many transitions in training and racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKajY5GlyI

One of the ways to learn is first practice the flying dismount as it is far easier; ride (preferably on grass or similar soft surface) with your feet on top of your shoes, coast at a walking/jogging speed, stand and then swing your right leg over before touching your right foot down and then starting to move with the bike. Do this at faster and faster speeds until you are completely comfortable and smooth with the dismount.

The mount is much or challenging, especially for adults who have spent years away from riding a bicycle. Start by jogging beside the bike (on the left hand side) with your hands on both hoods and the left pedal fully down; have enough speed so that you can step on the left pedal, push off with right foot and then swing your right leg over the saddle, and start pedaling. Due this many times until you are comfortable and then you can progress to jumping on the bike with the pedals horizontal if you wish.

As a note, do not try to put your feet in your shoes until you are well clear of transition; get on, start pedaling, get up to speed, then reach down, put on one shoe. Back up to speed, reach down and do the second.

Shane

2015-05-21 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Agree with all this. In T1 I'll do it if I'm far from the bike exit but not if I'm close. I always slip them off before T2.

In a race last year I talked it over with a friend and he convinced me to put on the shoes in T1 rather than have them on the bike. I jokingly said it was going to be his fault if I lost by more than 5 seconds. You guessed it, I missed first (AG) by 2 seconds. I've never let my friend forget it. (In reality I lost in a sprint finish and the shoes on the bike or not would have made no difference but it's good to hang over my friend's head)
2015-05-21 3:49 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

I spent an hour practicing the day before my race in front of my house and come race day I stubbed my toe and almost fell off my bike. I'd say the whole attempt to look like a pro cost me more time than I would have saved had I nailed the mount. I can't wait to try it again at my next race though
2015-05-22 7:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh....I'm extremely uncoordinated and I have yet to even attempt the flying mount. I would be a public safety hazard to everyone within 20 meters, as well as to myself, and would probably kill myself in the learning process. I find my adrenaline is so high at that point I'm fumbling with things anyway (already given up gloves for that reason) and I'm even more klutzy than usual. Also, at the same race for two years in a row, one of my AG rivals has fallen over right in front of me attempting the flying mount coming out of T1, and (yes, I admit I am heartless) I ran right around her. It hasn't impressed me with the efficacy of the technique for amateurs!

OTOH, I think mastering the flying dismount is within the realm of reason for me. I've generally slowed down quite a bit anyway by that point (since, as some pointed out, the courses usually do something to make you slow by the dismount line, as well as eased off the effort a bit in preparation for the run in the final section of a longer race), plus I feel like being able to run comfortably in T2 (for me, barefoot running is comfortable) would help me get my "run legs" going better for the final segment.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-22 7:20 AM
2015-05-23 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
One thing I haven't seen mentioned about the mount but is VERY important whether it's flying or not:

Have the bike in the right gear to start.

I've seen people flying mount like a lithe cirque de soleil performer and then fall straight over cuz they were in a very high gear and couldn't turn the crank over.

Easy to forget this one...

Matt
2015-05-23 11:04 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Ironman events it is now(on the books since 2013) against the rule to clip your shoes in unless you are in the pro division.

Could you please show me where to find this? I have read what I believe is the most recent version (March 2015) of the rules & regulations put out by WTC and I am not seeing it.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/e573751ff47e4f758a28565a453f79c0.ash...

I understand RD's can make the call for safety reasons but you said all Ironman events. Would love to see the black & white.

Thanks,

Brad

2015-05-26 9:07 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Always leave your shoes clipped into your pedals before and after all your training rides. You'll get good at it.

as far as a "flying mount" do a walking mount until it's flawless. Then jog, then leap for it. Look for cyclocross videos for good isntruction, or better yet take a cyclocross clinic this fall
2015-05-27 7:38 AM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by scubabrad02

Ironman events it is now(on the books since 2013) against the rule to clip your shoes in unless you are in the pro division.

Could you please show me where to find this? I have read what I believe is the most recent version (March 2015) of the rules & regulations put out by WTC and I am not seeing it.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/e573751ff47e4f758a28565a453f79c0.ash...

I understand RD's can make the call for safety reasons but you said all Ironman events. Would love to see the black & white.

Thanks,

Brad

It surprised me in 2013 and was enforced in 2014(to some degree). I know I read it in the rules last year, but I'm not seeing it in the 2015 rule book?

Anyone else see this in the 2015 rules?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1 going "on the fly" with shoes clipped in already Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

T1...Shoes Already Attached? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by C_Hassard
Views: 6221 Posts: 63

2013-01-12 6:57 AM jsnowash

HELP! I use bike shoes pre-clipped-for T1 but have question about going into T2

Started by ZippGirl
Views: 845 Posts: 10

2012-06-24 10:39 AM runninirish

Coming out of T1 with clipped in bike shoes

Started by Accent Fitness
Views: 2164 Posts: 19

2009-06-28 7:23 PM jsklarz

shoes already clipped in Pages: 1 2

Started by cusetri
Views: 2384 Posts: 46

2009-05-01 10:58 AM Daremo

clip on shoes vs running shoes

Started by pfolker
Views: 1725 Posts: 11

2008-09-14 4:48 PM nickster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Incline Chest Fly- Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.