BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-10-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by brigby1

Had found a ride on Sunday, saw it was by a state park I hadn't been to in over 20 years, so went down Saturday to hike it. Ended up going through the century faster than planned. Fun day even though it was almost entirely in the flat cornfields of central IL and had a decent diagonal wind the whole time. There was pie at the end.

You would not enjoy biking around here, ha! Congrats on a great ride and pie!

2015-10-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black

Had found a ride on Sunday, saw it was by a state park I hadn't been to in over 20 years, so went down Saturday to hike it. Ended up going through the century faster than planned. Fun day even though it was almost entirely in the flat cornfields of central IL and had a decent diagonal wind the whole time. There was pie at the end.

So I've heard. No idea why I would ever want to go to Texas!

2015-10-06 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I have no idea why I thought Austin was flat, but experience has now shown me several times that I was woefully mistaken in that regard. 

I once entered a HM purely because there were going to be pancakes for the post-race food, the only bad part about that was you had to climb 2 flights of stairs to get to them, which I thought was a tad mean.  

2015-10-06 11:31 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I have no idea why I thought Austin was flat, but experience has now shown me several times that I was woefully mistaken in that regard. 

I once entered a HM purely because there were going to be pancakes for the post-race food, the only bad part about that was you had to climb 2 flights of stairs to get to them, which I thought was a tad mean.  

Hahaha!

The flat areas can be alright. Much of my immediate area is like that. Was fun stepping up the speed some for a longer ride.

2015-10-06 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hahaha!

The flat areas can be alright. Much of my immediate area is like that. Was fun stepping up the speed some for a longer ride.

It was a bit of a rude awakening - going from riding nothing but the Lakefront Trail in Chicago which has a total elevation gain of what, 30 feet over the 20 miles of trail? To my first ride in Austin of 51 miles and 3100 feet of climbing.  I've never done so much swearing in my life!  

2015-10-06 12:59 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Katy, Texas

Hahaha!

It was a bit of a rude awakening - going from riding nothing but the Lakefront Trail in Chicago which has a total elevation gain of what, 30 feet over the 20 miles of trail? To my first ride in Austin of 51 miles and 3100 feet of climbing.  I've never done so much swearing in my life!  

Yes Austin is quite hilly, here on the coastal prairie, not so much. My regular 65ish mile Saturday ride has a total elevation gain of 522 ft.

2015-10-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Hahaha!

Yes Austin is quite hilly, here on the coastal prairie, not so much. My regular 65ish mile Saturday ride has a total elevation gain of 522 ft.

The century I just did had right about 1,000 ft, so not much more after considering the miles. And think the big difference is that it starts in a river valley. Once up and out there is an over pass and a couple small rollers. Anything else is false flat territory at most. More local to me (this was a couple hours away) it does have more, but is still generally flat. Someone like Monica would notice hills though as that lake front is the definition of pancake flat. Something like the Lake In The Hills course is still fairly flat even though it has some small hills on it. They don't take much of anything to get over. Just big & steep enough to rob most of your momentum. And that describes much of the area as there are plenty of little thief's like that around that cut off half your speed or more.

Edited by brigby1 2015-10-06 1:34 PM
2015-10-06 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Hahaha!

Wow...that's impressively flat. Round trip to the market, 8 miles, over 350ft gain for me.
2015-10-06 3:57 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Atlantia

Hahaha!

Wow...that's impressively flat. Round trip to the market, 8 miles, over 350ft gain for me.

Talk of hills makes wonder...

You want flat, check my Strava. For example, yesterday I see an elevation of 0-11 ft.  Other days I can see elevation points of -1.

2015-10-07 1:35 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sure is quiet in here. Hope all is well.  Mary, I know you aren't supposed to be reading this but if you are get better quick mkay?

Par for the course in Navy life... DS2 was unexpectedly transferred to CT as he was planning a trip home. Unexpectedly only in the time frame. So anyway, DH and I are planning a road trip to see him, 'cause momma needs a kid fix, and to bring him his car. Of course that means three days of road tripping and likely only short runs where I can squeeze them in.

2015-10-07 7:50 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
It is very quiet isn't it.

We are having some beautiful spring weather at the moment, perfect for training outside. Unfortunately the grasses and wattles also think it is perfect for spring flowering so my allergies have kicked into high gear and training outside just isn't an option.

2015-10-08 7:05 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Okay, quick straw poll.
Was I in the wrong, if so what would you have done?

Out on my run today, I was running along a path and ahead of me was a dog running loose with it's owner engrossed with what was happening on his phone. The dog, upon seeing this fat, bumbling idiot (me) bouncing down the path towards him, thinks that it's play time, as dogs do, and decides to come bounding towards me. I can see the owner is totally oblivious to this so I stop, hold my palm out and shout no, to which the dog turns on its heels and returns back to the owner.
Happy days, I don't get mauled/jumped on/tripped over and the dog learns it's not the correct thing to do running at strangers.
Not according to the owner. After I had disturbed him from his Youtube video/Facebook post/Text message, he said "Oi! Was there any need for that?".
To which I replied, "Yes, I believe there was a need for me to control your dog when you're obviously not in control of him".
"Well, he wasn't going to hurt you was he? Knob head".
"Oh, and I'm supposed to know that am I? With me being Cesar the Fecking dog whisperer and all, dick head", "control your dog".

I suppose I could have handled it a bit better, but I'm getting pissed off with it when ever I go down the park.
2015-10-08 9:32 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Interestingly I had a dog run up to me to play on Tuesday during my run. I was out on the trail and a yellow lab came bounding up to play. I pet the dog and sort of smirked at the owner but didn't say anything.  You handled it differently than I but I don't think you were wrong. When I got home I told DH about the matter and contemplated that I should have handled it differently. I love dogs, but not everyone does and some may be threatened by a dog charging at them. Additionally, I was fortunate that this dog meant no harm, but the next time could be different.

I'll admit that when I run trails where I don't expect to encounter people I do let one of the dogs off leash. If I do see someone far off I put her back on the leash. But that is a rare occurance where I let her off.

2015-10-08 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Okay, quick straw poll.
Was I in the wrong, if so what would you have done?

Out on my run today, I was running along a path and ahead of me was a dog running loose with it's owner engrossed with what was happening on his phone. The dog, upon seeing this fat, bumbling idiot (me) bouncing down the path towards him, thinks that it's play time, as dogs do, and decides to come bounding towards me. I can see the owner is totally oblivious to this so I stop, hold my palm out and shout no, to which the dog turns on its heels and returns back to the owner.
Happy days, I don't get mauled/jumped on/tripped over and the dog learns it's not the correct thing to do running at strangers.
Not according to the owner. After I had disturbed him from his Youtube video/Facebook post/Text message, he said "Oi! Was there any need for that?".
To which I replied, "Yes, I believe there was a need for me to control your dog when you're obviously not in control of him".
"Well, he wasn't going to hurt you was he? Knob head".
"Oh, and I'm supposed to know that am I? With me being Cesar the Fecking dog whisperer and all, dick head", "control your dog".

I suppose I could have handled it a bit better, but I'm getting pissed off with it when ever I go down the park.

Worked with dogs professionally for over a decade. Would have done the same thing. Running people and cyclists and whatnot are very exciting to dogs. If your dog is off leash and you aren't paying attention, I will be giving commands. Most dogs wouldn't have done any harm, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And I have enough scars to be sorry!
2015-10-08 11:46 AM

Master
Northern IL

Not really sure how much tamer your response to the dog could have been. There was no actual contact with the dog made. The owner's protective instinct kicked in and really wasn't going to listen to any sort of reason at that point.

2015-10-08 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Not really sure how much tamer your response to the dog could have been. There was no actual contact with the dog made. The owner's protective instinct kicked in and really wasn't going to listen to any sort of reason at that point.

Although I do love the cultural phrases and accent used

2015-10-08 12:26 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
We got Lucy, our St Bernard for the uninitiated, at 2 years old. She hadn't received much training and one of her problems was she would do exactly the same thing as this dog did. It can be quite an experience to see something the size of Lucy bounding towards them at full pelt with tongue out, slobber flying everywhere.
It took a lot of work to try to stop her doing this, with diversion tactics and positive reinforcement training. She still does it when she sees other dogs, which is when I leash her, and occasionally when she sees people when I'm around a corner out of sight of her. When she does it then, I make a point to tell the group not to pet her, because I don't want her to receive reward for doing something she isn't supposed to do and undoing her training.
2015-10-08 1:48 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I think you handled it properly Darren. Maybe should have called him a wanker though.
2015-10-08 8:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
My only question would be, were you running through an off leash dog park? If not then you handled it correctly, maybe with the exception of the name calling (surely you could have come up with better than that ). If you were in an off leash dog park then it might be a little more grey.

I totally get where you are coming from though. Like you I have big dogs and they are very, very intimidating, I therefore attempt to train them properly. It really really sh!ts me when people think that their dog is little, or cute, or friendly and therefore they can do what they damn well please. We used to take our dogs (all Mastiffs) to an off leash dog beach which was great. But I got so sick of dealing with the owners of small dogs that we have found somewhere else.

The final straw was we were walking along the beach and this tiny chihuahua comes running up to one of our dogs and gets under her stomach and starts nipping at her stomach and legs. The stupid owner stood there and giggled and laughed about "how cute is that she's taking on the big dog." I saw red and told her not to be so bloody stupid and that I doubt she would find it funny if my dog retaliated and bit back because then she would have a dead chihuahua and it would be all her own fault. About right on cue my dog got jack of it and thankfully didn't bite but just pinned the chihuahua down with her paw so that it couldn't move, gave it a great big slobbery lick and let it go. The owner picked it up (covered in sandy mastiff slobber) and flounced off.

Unfortunately you can't stop dumb people owning dogs.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-10-08 8:16 PM
2015-10-08 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Just thought we haven't had a puppy pic for a while so here is one of my guys supervising the gardening earlier this week.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (143KB - 11 downloads)
2015-10-08 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Oh my goodness, customer service!

So some of you know I have been having some issues with my Brooks Adrenaline 15s just not working for me. For some reason I decided to send Brooks Australia and email asking them why or why they have to mess with a good thing and change their shoe design. I didn't think for one minute that I would get a reply. But I'd did, and from a real person too!

I doubt that anything will come from it other than me being impressed by their customer service, and me being more willing to look at trying to find a different model of Brooks that will work for me.

2015-10-08 10:47 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK My only question would be, were you running through an off leash dog park? If not then you handled it correctly, maybe with the exception of the name calling (surely you could have come up with better than that ). If you were in an off leash dog park then it might be a little more grey. I totally get where you are coming from though. Like you I have big dogs and they are very, very intimidating, I therefore attempt to train them properly. It really really sh!ts me when people think that their dog is little, or cute, or friendly and therefore they can do what they damn well please. We used to take our dogs (all Mastiffs) to an off leash dog beach which was great. But I got so sick of dealing with the owners of small dogs that we have found somewhere else. The final straw was we were walking along the beach and this tiny chihuahua comes running up to one of our dogs and gets under her stomach and starts nipping at her stomach and legs. The stupid owner stood there and giggled and laughed about "how cute is that she's taking on the big dog." I saw red and told her not to be so bloody stupid and that I doubt she would find it funny if my dog retaliated and bit back because then she would have a dead chihuahua and it would be all her own fault. About right on cue my dog got jack of it and thankfully didn't bite but just pinned the chihuahua down with her paw so that it couldn't move, gave it a great big slobbery lick and let it go. The owner picked it up (covered in sandy mastiff slobber) and flounced off. Unfortunately you can't stop dumb people owning dogs.

Yeah, so many don't realize what control of a dog is, vs overpowering. And like in this case, just how much damage a little dog can still do. Might seem cute, but pinpricks can hurt. That's if they're gentle. Little yappers are still strong enough to sever tendons. Achilles? Just look at what they can still do with chewing on bones!

Other family members have had some decent sized dogs. The one is a doberman/lab mix, and has a stronger doberman appearance and mannerisms. While dog sitting this one recently, I would only take her out later in the evening when most others have gone in. She's strong willed and in a new situation even though she knows me well. When pushed too far by a dog, she doesn't really do the gentle push over. When she's had enough it's basically a full on attack that stops a hair short of actually biting. Freaks the heck out of anyone who sees it (understandably so). Saw some little dog people fitting the stereotype. Stopped well short of them and basically just stared a minute with this one waiting right by me. Gave a look that asked if they really wanted to bring that up next to the strongest bites. They took the hint and actually picked their dogs up as they wouldn't calm down. The one I was watching did great. Never went after anything, just looked around when something caught her interest. Really came in handy at the end of the week when the skunk came walking through the park. I may have actually seen it first, but she stayed right with me and gave it a wide birth.

2015-10-09 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm back from my racecation and I have managed to climb out from under a pile of computers at work (I have hundreds to install, I'm caught back up to where I need to be with the install team now).

My race went well and the weather even improved for it!  After more than a week of rain, the sun peaked out for us and it was actually sunny and warm for the run. I was the first masters woman which was a shock to me.  It was a small event, made smaller by people being scared off by the weather leading up to the race.

I'm glad to see that Melanie racecation went well too! I'm sure that you needed it.  

Darren, how's the Man Cave Construction Project going?  BTW, we talked about stray dogs in rural areas at our Tuna Run meeting.  One of the people on my team is a vet and she said to do exactly what you did.  Stop, put your hand out in a Halt sign and order the dog stop/wrong/no.  She said DO NOT mace the dog.  The places that we pass are very rural and in many cases, the owners will not (or will not be able to) treat the dogs.  

MR Matt, sorry about the knee/IT band problems.  I hope that you are feeling better now.

Ben, did you say pie?!

TJ, road trip to CT?  That'll be three *long* days in the car!  Isn't it like 2100 miles? That sounds like an adventure!  Did he escape Charleston before last week's deluge?

Stacey, I hope htat your allergies improve soon.  Great news about Brooks!  PUPPIES!

I sure hope that Mary is feeling some improvement.

2015-10-09 10:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

How do we feel about pruning the Manatees, so to speak?  We have a lot of inactive Manatees at the moment.  While there is nothing wrong with that and we have the whole "once a Manatee, always a Manatee" thing going, I feel like like we have a lot of drop in once in a while folks.  If we prune the Active list, we could maybe open the group back up to amp it up a bit more.  Thoughts?

2015-10-09 10:29 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by StaceyK

My only question would be, were you running through an off leash dog park? If not then you handled it correctly, maybe with the exception of the name calling (surely you could have come up with better than that ). If you were in an off leash dog park then it might be a little more grey.

I totally get where you are coming from though. Like you I have big dogs and they are very, very intimidating, I therefore attempt to train them properly. It really really sh!ts me when people think that their dog is little, or cute, or friendly and therefore they can do what they damn well please. We used to take our dogs (all Mastiffs) to an off leash dog beach which was great. But I got so sick of dealing with the owners of small dogs that we have found somewhere else.

The final straw was we were walking along the beach and this tiny chihuahua comes running up to one of our dogs and gets under her stomach and starts nipping at her stomach and legs. The stupid owner stood there and giggled and laughed about "how cute is that she's taking on the big dog." I saw red and told her not to be so bloody stupid and that I doubt she would find it funny if my dog retaliated and bit back because then she would have a dead chihuahua and it would be all her own fault. About right on cue my dog got jack of it and thankfully didn't bite but just pinned the chihuahua down with her paw so that it couldn't move, gave it a great big slobbery lick and let it go. The owner picked it up (covered in sandy mastiff slobber) and flounced off.

Unfortunately you can't stop dumb people owning dogs.

I've got a similar beach story. Before I had kids I was into AKC retriever games and trained my lab to the highest level, Master Hunter. Walking at heel off leash is second nature to him.

So we were walking down the beach, him off leash and perfectly at heel and this little yippy dog runs right up to him barking and trying to instigate something. I was rather annoyed but wasn't worried about the situation as I knew my dog wouldn't break heel.

Well I was wrong. He lifted his leg and hosed that little dog down and then went right back to heel. I was trying not to laugh as the other owner looked on, but that little booger got what he deserved.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66035 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27657 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11707 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36787 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 65907 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.