BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-20 2:13 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by laffinrock

Everyone got some exciting stuff going on  for the long weekend?

Weeding if the rain ever stops, training, choir rehearsals on Sat. and Mon., maybe seeing my darling 1 y.o. niece.  Was going to ride the route for my 1st tri but they're having rain and snow(!) up there so I think I'll stick to the drainer.  Might get some new bike tires and will definitely take a nap or 2.  Nothing too over the top.

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

I am going to Vegas tomorrow (my sisters 40th) with a side trip to Zion and Red Rock. Hoping to get some time to just lay by the pool and read.But then I come back to Seattle Sat night so I get a few days with J to maybe relax, do a little road trip etc.

Oh, and running. Always running.

I love Zion - i'm jealous!!

I'm staying in town this weekend b/c I'm going out of town the next weekend.  So, in addition to normal weekend stuff, they'll probably be a BBQ with family.  The most surprising thing I'll be doing is riding my bike  I haven't been on it since my last tri - which was last June!!

I'm holding on to a very very very slim chance I might be able to run the BolderBoulder with my sailor

Otherwise, it'll be house stuff and maybe some exploring with DH and DS1.

Why slim chance?

He has to a) get the liberty approved and

b) fork out a LOT of cash for a last minute plane ticket because he hasn't heard yay or nay regarding a) yet.

Hope you get to see him! It sucks that the short notice means his ticket would be so expensive.

After hearing more about the BB, I thought about doing it.  I decided that even though I could probably manage it, I'd pay dearly for it.  Maybe next year.

2015-05-20 2:16 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Oh, lookit me all figured out the new thread before 3 days and 8 pages get done....

We just had our long weekend, and I had to work the Saturday, so I didn't get one.  Booo.  But my next month contract is T-F, so I will get 3 long weekends in a row.  Yaaaay!

Had a great ride last night in the sun.  First outdoor ride I have had this year that I could wear short sleeves.  Not because it hasn't been warm, but because I have been riding at Oh-Dark-Thirty to get done before work.  It was lovely.

2015-05-20 2:42 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Oh, lookit me all figured out the new thread before 3 days and 8 pages get done....

We just had our long weekend, and I had to work the Saturday, so I didn't get one.  Booo.  But my next month contract is T-F, so I will get 3 long weekends in a row.  Yaaaay!

Had a great ride last night in the sun.  First outdoor ride I have had this year that I could wear short sleeves.  Not because it hasn't been warm, but because I have been riding at Oh-Dark-Thirty to get done before work.  It was lovely.

Yay for 3 day weekends and for training in the sun!!!!!!!!

2015-05-20 3:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ok, I've not heard back from Lisa's associate (yes, i know, it's only been a day) and after a LOT of thought I think I'm going to try to build my own plan. Based on some research and recommendations by people who've been there done that I'm thinking I'll incorporate some speed work, hill repeats, tempo work, dm incline work and, of course, trail running and trail climbing.

My question to the group is what is a good starting spot after two weeks off from my marathon training.  During training I got up to 40 mile weeks.

Here's kinda what I'm thinking:

Monday easy trail

Tuesday alternating Tempo and Speed

Wednesday easy trail or cross

Thursday alternating hill repeats and hill tempo

friday easy trail

Saturday long trail (I've scouted several trails with good elevation gain and will gradually increase length)

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

For more info on the tempo/speed stuff here is where I'm getting that

ETA: I am calculating my long runs based on time rather than distance because of the nature of  trail runs.

Edited by rrrunner 2015-05-20 3:36 PM
2015-05-20 3:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Weeding if the rain ever stops, training, choir rehearsals on Sat. and Mon., maybe seeing my darling 1 y.o. niece.  Was going to ride the route for my 1st tri but they're having rain and snow(!) up there so I think I'll stick to the drainer.  Might get some new bike tires and will definitely take a nap or 2.  Nothing too over the top.

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

I am going to Vegas tomorrow (my sisters 40th) with a side trip to Zion and Red Rock. Hoping to get some time to just lay by the pool and read.But then I come back to Seattle Sat night so I get a few days with J to maybe relax, do a little road trip etc.

Oh, and running. Always running.

Have fun in Vegas and chillin with J. Looking forward to the IG pix!

2015-05-20 3:52 PM

User image

Seattle

Ok, I've not heard back from Lisa's associate (yes, i know, it's only been a day) and after a LOT of thought I think I'm going to try to build my own plan. Based on some research and recommendations by people who've been there done that I'm thinking I'll incorporate some speed work, hill repeats, tempo work, dm incline work and, of course, trail running and trail climbing.

My question to the group is what is a good starting spot after two weeks off from my marathon training.  During training I got up to 40 mile weeks.

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Saturday long trail (I've scouted several trails with good elevation gain and will gradually increase length)

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

ETA: I am calculating my long runs based on time rather than distance because of the nature of  trail runs.

YES! Now you are talking I was hinting at this.

I would use JD tempo/speed stuff for those Tuesdays but yeah, it sounds good to me. It's not rocket science, as much as it seems some people want you to believe. You just need to always remember why you are doing any one workout and how it contributes to your goals.

*I would also add to try and think of this more like a marathon than a half marathon. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-20 3:53 PM

2015-05-20 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

I would use JD tempo/speed stuff for those Tuesdays but yeah, it sounds good to me. It's not rocket science, as much as it seems some people want you to believe. You just need to always remember why you are doing any one workout and how it contributes to your goals.

*I would also add to try and think of this more like a marathon than a half marathon. 

*happydance*

So am I asking for injury by jumping in to two speed work days a week? If my max marathon training mileage was 40, but it's been a few weeks, should I start at 20ish maybe?

2015-05-20 3:58 PM

User image

Seattle

Oh, one more thing. Sundays. I assume you work more of a Mon-Fri. Sometimes having a weekend day off could be nice but it's also a good day to actually get a larger chunk of work in...so don't be afraid to shift it. Another thing, as far as specificity if you enjoy hiking, I think it would be the best kind of cross training you can do. 

2015-05-20 4:00 PM

User image

Seattle

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

*happydance*

So am I asking for injury by jumping in to two speed work days a week? If my max marathon training mileage was 40, but it's been a few weeks, should I start at 20ish maybe?

Yes. Even I don't do that. Also, don't make big increases in volume and speed at the same time. So first, add a speed session. Then increase volume (keeping that speed session) then add the second speed session. 

You do have to play by the rules. 

As for volume...yeah that is always a hard one. 20 should be fine I think...but that's a little more subjective.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-20 4:00 PM
2015-05-20 4:31 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

I'm no expert, but I see zero off/rest/recovery days.  As coach told me, I'm not as young as my pal LT and need to recover differently than her because of our age difference (she's 36 and I'm 42).  I think I often get 2 rest days after the biggest build week but always get one day completely off every week. 

2015-05-20 4:44 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

I'm no expert, but I see zero off/rest/recovery days.  As coach told me, I'm not as young as my pal LT and need to recover differently than her because of our age difference (she's 36 and I'm 42).  I think I often get 2 rest days after the biggest build week but always get one day completely off every week. 

Sunday

Yoga/bike is slated but that is the off day. I'm sure TJ reserves the right to take it completely off if need be. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-20 4:45 PM

2015-05-20 4:46 PM

User image

Seattle

I do, personally believe that people tend to schedule too much off time.

In most cases I benefit more from a very easy day than an off day. You just need to know what very easy feels like. 

2015-05-20 4:47 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

Yeah, I changed Wednesday to yoga/cross and Sunday is yoga/cross. Those will be easy to moderate rides and/or yoga. I think that will give the old bones a couple of rest days. I plan to do yoga on the speed days as well. Trying to keep up on strength and flexibility that way. Jasyoga has some great videos for runners.

2015-05-20 4:51 PM

User image

Seattle

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

Yeah, I changed Wednesday to yoga/cross and Sunday is yoga/cross. Those will be easy to moderate rides and/or yoga. I think that will give the old bones a couple of rest days. I plan to do yoga on the speed days as well. Trying to keep up on strength and flexibility that way. Jasyoga has some great videos for runners.

and biking is so low-impact. And Monday is an easy run so you don't have to worry about maybe overcooking on the bike and being unable to complete a quality workout. Since that is not until Tuesday

2015-05-20 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

and biking is so low-impact. And Monday is an easy run so you don't have to worry about maybe overcooking on the bike and being unable to complete a quality workout. Since that is not until Tuesday

I also dropped the Tuesday quality work until week 5 and put in another trail run.

2015-05-20 5:00 PM

User image

Seattle

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

I also dropped the Tuesday quality work until week 5 and put in another trail run.

And you could always not take sunday off and do another easy trail run or something, then swap that out when you add your next quality session

2015-05-20 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Oh you doth toy with me, no long weekend here, yet.

Edit: out of jealousy I just checked the calendar to find out when our next one is and HAPPY DANCE it's next weekend

Edited by StaceyK 2015-05-20 6:45 PM
2015-05-20 8:11 PM

Master
Northern IL

Monday easy trail

friday easy trail

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

And you could always not take sunday off and do another easy trail run or something, then swap that out when you add your next quality session

Yeah, that's sounding a lot better now. Work things back in as the body is ready for it.

2015-05-21 9:04 AM

User image

Seattle
I had a really great workout last night. We rarely get to run 'fast ' but it was warm out so coach has us do reps. We were doing quarters, cutting down the pace from 88 to 84 over 9 reps. I was feeling good and coach moved me to the faster group. I was even able to exceed that a little and did the middle reps around 82 then move into 80, 79,78 to finish with 12 reps instead of just 9. With no pressing races on the calendar it was a good time to let er rip. I was surprised to see speed developing a little when my focus is very strength focused.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-21 9:08 AM
2015-05-21 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a really great workout last night. We rarely get to run 'fast ' but it was warm out so coach has us do reps. We were doing 400s, cutting down the pace from 88 to 84 over 9 reps. I was feeling good and coach moved me to the faster group. I was even able to exceed that a little and did the middle reps around 82 then move into 80, 79,78 to finish with 12 reps instead of just 9. With no pressing races on the calendar it was a good time to let er rip. I was surprised to see speed developing a little when my focus is very strength focused.

That's pretty blazing fast.  I do find that interesting that with the strength focus you surpassed your speed expectations.  Unfortunately, I held closer to conventional wisdom last night and the extra strength I've worked on did not translate to additional speed.  I changed my weekly 3 mile tempo run to 6 x800.  I felt strong but the leg speed was not there.  I've ramped up my cycling too and that always seems to have a negative effect on my speed.  I think I'll start adding an R pace session periodically so my legs start regaining some memory of a semblance of speed.   

2015-05-21 9:52 AM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a really great workout last night. We rarely get to run 'fast ' but it was warm out so coach has us do reps. We were doing 400s, cutting down the pace from 88 to 84 over 9 reps. I was feeling good and coach moved me to the faster group. I was even able to exceed that a little and did the middle reps around 82 then move into 80, 79,78 to finish with 12 reps instead of just 9. With no pressing races on the calendar it was a good time to let er rip. I was surprised to see speed developing a little when my focus is very strength focused.

That's pretty blazing fast.  I do find that interesting that with the strength focus you surpassed your speed expectations.  Unfortunately, I held closer to conventional wisdom last night and the extra strength I've worked on did not translate to additional speed.  I changed my weekly 3 mile tempo run to 6 x800.  I felt strong but the leg speed was not there.  I've ramped up my cycling too and that always seems to have a negative effect on my speed.  I think I'll start adding an R pace session periodically so my legs start regaining some memory of a semblance of speed.   

Since "strength" is applied to almost everything nowadays (making the term almost useless as a descriptor), what difference in the strength work did each of you have? Adrienne, I think you run hard on some hills?

2015-05-21 10:07 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

Oh you doth toy with me, no long weekend here, yet. Edit: out of jealousy I just checked the calendar to find out when our next one is and HAPPY DANCE it's next weekend

Oh good. I'll be over for the sausage sizzle then (I finally figured out that's what you people call a barbecue)

On day 5 of nothing but tiny bites of cracker, rice, banana, white bread. Yesterday I added in a little bit of boiled chicken as well. That and electrolyte beverages are all I can handle right now (and sometimes not even then).

again huge thanks to everyone who checked in on me and supports me.

For those who don't know I'm being wiped out by, in my tradition of unspellable illnesses, amoebic dysentery.

Sadly it isn't even a beginning boost to racing weight since I've GAINED 2kg in the last week. (Not bloat--that's from gas--actually I'm a little bit dehydrated). Metabolism is way out of wonk. Actually, all systems are.

Back to Australia June 3rd, can't come soon enough, will fly to Jakarta as soon as I'm able to start citizenship application at the German embassy.

(OperationGermany.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
OperationGermany.jpg (49KB - 8 downloads)
2015-05-21 11:08 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

Since "strength" is applied to almost everything nowadays (making the term almost useless as a descriptor), what difference in the strength work did each of you have? Adrienne, I think you run hard on some hills?

With the exception of Saturday, no, not really. My hills have been in the fom of actual mountain racing (hard effort but closer to threshold effort as they have been hour ish races) and long hill sessions, more sustained paces over longer distances. I've done a few post workout sessions but not regularly. Which is why I am surprised
2015-05-21 11:27 AM

Master
Northern IL

With the exception of Saturday, no, not really. My hills have been in the fom of actual mountain racing (hard effort but closer to threshold effort as they have been hour ish races) and long hill sessions, more sustained paces over longer distances. I've done a few post workout sessions but not regularly. Which is why I am surprised
If you file all that under "strength" of some sort then is what I asking about. Sort of remembering that for you strength running was getting onto hills in some fashion. And I'm thinking that might have been the difference in what you and Steve had seen. Have you heard the expression "hills are speed work in disguise"?

2015-05-21 11:33 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

If you file all that under "strength" of some sort then is what I asking about. Sort of remembering that for you strength running was getting onto hills in some fashion. And I'm thinking that might have been the difference in what you and Steve had seen. Have you heard the expression "hills are speed work in disguise"?

yeah, I understand the hill work is filed under quality but no specificity to say, fast turnover or simply operating at von max. I don't expect I'm getting slower or anything, just surprised I can do r pace faster than my previous highest vdot dictates
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66191 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27806 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11768 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36914 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66008 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.