BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-01 12:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer

Follow up question -- chamois cream?

OH YES I should have put that in too! LOL my favorite is Dz Nuts Bliss followed closely by Mission 5 hour anti Chafe. I've tried Hoo Ha Ride Glide and Chamois buttr as well but I find those don't go the distance. I haven't tried Assos but I've read good things.

Good to see you're done blaming Chris for the saddle suggestion.

I blame all of you. :p also add: I've been to 3 different fitters. It's definitely me!

Ha, you posted this while I was writing my last post.  I'm beginning to think it's me, too!  Sigh.

2015-07-01 12:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Randee, so sorry to hear about your grandmother.  (((Hugs)))

2015-07-02 1:38 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So sorry to hear about your grandma Randee, I'm sending hugs your way.

In relation to saddles and shorts - I haven't been on my bike for any length of time in months because its too uncomfortable (everywhere not just in the saddle). I just have the standard saddle that came with my bike so nothing special at all to relate there. I am currently using Orca shorts and I like them, but I haven't had them on for a while.

On a more positive note I was looking at the calendar for the rest of the year last night lamenting that its winter here. Then this afternoon I got an email at work with the local race calendar for 2015/2016 so I am really excited now. My summer series race schedule is looking like this:

July 29 - 5k fun run
Aug 30 - HM
Oct 4 - Duo
Nov 8 - super sprint tri (this is the first one I did and I love going back to it)
Dec 13 - Sprint
Jan 17 - Sprint
Jan 31 - Oly (this will be my summer A race hopefully)
Feb 21 - Sprint
Apr 10 - Sprint

They have moved the Oly race way forward in the calendar which is great because it means there is very little chance that we will have puppies at that time. There is also 22 weeks between the HM and the Oly so I will be able to get a full 20 week training plan in. It also means that if I buy a new bike at the end of August as per my plan I have plenty of time to get used to it before the Oly.

If any of you have a great 20 Oly plan please feel free to share it.

Is it sad that this little email has totally made my day and got me very excited
2015-07-02 7:16 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I may have picked up this shirt on sale last weekend. You can't see it very well in the photo (stolen from Macy's website) but it's all sparkly.  The bicycle and the sparkles remind me of one of our MIA Manatees.  Didn't Monica have a spiffy cruiser bike?

sparkly bicycle t - from macy's ad

2015-07-02 7:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I may have picked up this shirt on sale last weekend. You can't see it very well in the photo (stolen from Macy's website) but it's all sparkly.  The bicycle and the sparkles remind me of one of our MIA Manatees.  Didn't Monica have a spiffy cruiser bike?

Nice! I've been eyeing a bike t-shirt on yerdle. I figure I should be riding regularly first I'm at the airport headed to SC!!!
2015-07-02 10:17 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK Is it sad that this little email has totally made my day and got me very excited

That's great, Stacey!!  Not sad at all.  Sometimes a little email is all it takes to get you motivated.  Yay for the new bike plans too!!

2015-07-02 10:18 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Nice! I've been eyeing a bike t-shirt on yerdle. I figure I should be riding regularly first I'm at the airport headed to SC!!!

Maybe the shirt can be your motivation to get on the bike?  Get the shirt, then prove why you're wearing it.

Enjoy SC and your time with DS2!!

2015-07-02 2:03 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Why wait?  I see that it didn't stop you from changing your FB profile picture!

2015-07-02 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Yeah, what's up with that, poser?!?! That would be like me having a running pic. Oh, wait, nevermind. I have to find one of me swimming 

2015-07-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Yeah, what's up with that, poser?!?! That would be like me having a running pic. Oh, wait, nevermind. I have to find one of me swimming 

Haha!  Good one!

2015-07-02 2:42 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

Randee, so sorry to hear about your grandmother.  (((Hugs)))

Condolences on your loss, Randee.  

2015-07-02 2:49 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Haha!  Good one!

Surely there's a good one of you in a wetsuit somewhere.

2015-07-02 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Haha!  Good one!

Surely there's a good one of you in a wetsuit somewhere.

You slay me! In a wetsuit riding a unicorn.

2015-07-02 3:46 PM
in reply to: #5116906

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I had to do a bike pic. All the running pix I look like a 90 year old man ??
2015-07-02 7:18 PM
in reply to: #5126379

User image

Katy, Texas
Hey, I aspire to be a 90 year old man.
2015-07-03 8:38 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

July 4-5
Darren - Long Course Weekend Swim on Friday
Darren - Long Course Weekend Sportive on Saturday
Jen - 4th of July Parade Run on Saturday
Yanti - Bali Ocean 10K swim on Sunday
Kirsten - Subaru Vancouver Triathlon on Sunday
Mary - Cross Country Clash #5 on Wednesday

Disabled List
Erin - knee

2015-07-03 12:11 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Racing Manatees!

July 4-5

Disabled List
Erin - knee

Good luck racers.  Be safe and have fun.  Take care of that knee Erin.

I must be getting old.  I took a step up a ladder and my knee just screamed.  Seemed to be ok and I had a good, hard trainer session a few hours later but had jabby pains later in the evening.  It is the weirdest thing.  Only hurts if I step a certain way (most going up stairs) and then it feels like a knife under my kneecap.   I'm going to swim today so will see what happens tomorrow when I run.  Hope it's a passing thing. 

2015-07-03 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

July 4-5

Disabled List
Erin - knee

look at all the racers!  Go manatees go!!

Erin, heal up.

2015-07-03 12:48 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by popsracer

Racing Manatees!

July 4-5

Disabled List
Erin - knee

Good luck racers.  Be safe and have fun.  Take care of that knee Erin.

I must be getting old.  I took a step up a ladder and my knee just screamed.  Seemed to be ok and I had a good, hard trainer session a few hours later but had jabby pains later in the evening.  It is the weirdest thing.  Only hurts if I step a certain way (most going up stairs) and then it feels like a knife under my kneecap.   I'm going to swim today so will see what happens tomorrow when I run.  Hope it's a passing thing. 

that does not sound good- I hope it is nothing!!

2015-07-03 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!

July 4-5

Disabled List
Erin - knee

GO RACING MANATEES GO! And happy 4th July to our 'Merican Manatees.

Steve I hope your knee is fine today.

Oh and Yanti assures me that she is not swimming the 10k. Kingsley is going to swim the 5 and she is going to paddle for him. She is feeling much better for about 5 hours a day but still sleeping a lot. Apparently she is trying to take it easy but she said she actually feels better if she trains "lightly"
2015-07-03 10:51 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!

July 4-5

Disabled List
Erin - knee

GO RACING MANATEES GO! And happy 4th July to our 'Merican Manatees. Steve I hope your knee is fine today. Oh and Yanti assures me that she is not swimming the 10k. Kingsley is going to swim the 5 and she is going to paddle for him. She is feeling much better for about 5 hours a day but still sleeping a lot. Apparently she is trying to take it easy but she said she actually feels better if she trains "lightly"

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO racers!!! The day of my previous XC Clash race, I had epic quantities of work and there were tornadoes, hail, and epic rain resulting in flash flooding.  Only 11 people showed up for the race and I wasn't one of them.  I'm hoping for better weather and work this time.

Steve and Erin, just say no to ouchy knees.  Yanti, please do not allow any jellyfish or bizarre disease-bearing creatures of any sort into your water craft and tell Kingsley he's not allowed to get bitten, stung, or hit by your paddle.

2015-07-03 11:15 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!

July 4-5

Disabled List
Erin - knee

GO RACING MANATEES GO! And happy 4th July to our 'Merican Manatees. Steve I hope your knee is fine today. Oh and Yanti assures me that she is not swimming the 10k. Kingsley is going to swim the 5 and she is going to paddle for him. She is feeling much better for about 5 hours a day but still sleeping a lot. Apparently she is trying to take it easy but she said she actually feels better if she trains "lightly"

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO racers!!! The day of my previous XC Clash race, I had epic quantities of work and there were tornadoes, hail, and epic rain resulting in flash flooding.  Only 11 people showed up for the race and I wasn't one of them.  I'm hoping for better weather and work this time.

Steve and Erin, just say no to ouchy knees.  Yanti, please do not allow any jellyfish or bizarre disease-bearing creatures of any sort into your water craft and tell Kingsley he's not allowed to get bitten, stung, or hit by your paddle.

Goooo other racers!  Gooooo me!  Yanti, Steve and Erin feel better!

I had a really good training week but man I am cooked.  This heat is killing me!  Supposed to be hot on race day so not expecting super great things time wise, but that's okay.  Fun will be had either way

Happy Fourth to all US Manatees!

2015-07-04 9:12 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Happy Indepence Day my fellow Americans!!

Go racers! Heel up DLers!

N + 1

2015-07-05 12:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Nice bike.

I'm not bothering with a RR as such, so here is my write up for a shyte storm of a weekend...

What a complete and utter shambles of a weekend on my part. I think it's been a case of resting on my laurels and a complacency with the course difficulty based on last years effort. One big serious wake up call for moi.

The swim.

I DNF'd. I only completed one lap of the swim. I found it incredibly difficult compared to previous efforts. I guess I've been lucky with the tide on the last few years and this has given me a false sense of security. To put it into context, 2013 LCW I swam 2 laps at 1:18:??, last year 1:14:??, this year it took me 55:?? to complete one lap and I felt foosed. To get to the first buoy took me 15:?? in 2013 and 2014, this year it took me close to 26 minutes. Admittedly, I have done next to no swim training, apart from a tri camp where they tried to re-teach me how to swim for 5 days. But then, I did absolutely no swim training in the 2013-2014 period either and dropped 4 minutes. Okay, we now know the swim was long, the consensus being 400-500m long on the IM Wales facebook group, also agreed by the person that set the course. So, perhaps I should have not looked at the time and just got back in for the second lap, it's just I felt defeated and spent. Probably a huge psychological problem I must overcome. If the swim was the correct distance, and I had got out the first lap in 45 minutes, then I probably would have gone straight back in for the 2nd. Things for me to take away from this. Don't jack it, crack on and get through it. Get some swim endurance training in. Try using a nose clip (I kept getting salt water going down the back of my throat even though I wasn't breathing it in on my breathes, it made me throw up a few times on the lap).

Bike.

I was booked in for a 0745 start time. Got up as planned in order to get the bike from the car and get down to the start mat in time to grab some breakfast and use the ablutions etc. I got my bike and got down there no problems. It was only when I was queuing for the toilet that I realised i'd left my race numbers in the car. Back up to the multistory to get them and started to get them out of the car when I heard pstttttttttttt. Nope, wasn't someone trying to grab my attention to sell me knock off goods, it was my front tyre. So, whipped off the tyre, pulled out the inner, pumped it up, located the hole. Had a look in the wheel and tyre for anything, nothing. Stuck a new tube on, pumped it up, got to 100 psi, pssstttttt, AAArrrrrrggghhh. Took that one off, repaired 1 st tube, put back on, pssssttttt. FFS. Back off, patch not taking to the tube,tick tock, start time fast approaching, repair 2nd tube, pump up, pssstttttt, a hole somewhere else. GGRRRrr, can't fecking believe this. Threw tubes in car, locked up and carried bike down to start to see a mechanic, where they fitted a new tube. He couldn't find anything wrong either. Possibly had a dodgy batch of tubes? Anyway, missed start time, so DQ'd already. Didn't grab any breakfast, so set off at 0830am with no food since 1530 the day before, not good, especially when I find out later my gels are on the bedside table of my B&B.

First part uneventful out to Angle, held back at about 180W, no strava segment pb's on this section, which is good. Angle to Pembroke @176W, which gave me a PB over this section, possibly due to the tail wind. Got to Lamphey and filled one water bottle, left the juice bottle half full, thought I'd have enough :-/

Out to Narbeth was okay, by the time I was approaching Princes Gate I was depleted of carbs after going through the 100 calories I was carrying on the bike. Both bottles were depleted by now and I was seriously bonking, the shakes, dizzy etc. I was pushing 90 watts toward the end of that stretch and it felt more like I was pushing 400. Sat down and got some fuel in me in the form of a bacon butty, some root beer and some flap jacks from one of the marshals. Now, I've down this ride on no fuel before without a problem, in fact, I'd done it in the past 5 weeks with no food at all. Perhaps the lack of training this past month has lead to a bigger drop in my FTP than I have accounted for and I was riding at too great an effort for my current fitness level. Another thing bothering me is my left knee was giving me gyp. Both the knee cap, as in a tracking issue, and the bony protrusion on the outside of the knee were hurting. I'd fitted a new set of cleats to my shoes prior to the ride. Normally I fit yellow sdp cleats, but this time I fitted a red set I had lying around. Could this be the problem? Even today, as I write this, the bony protrusion is hurting to touch.

To top it all off, I had a text through from work with my start time for the night. which was 2200 hrs instead of 0200 hrs like planned. Oh well, to be honest, it was kinda nice to have the decision of doing the 2nd lap taken out of my hands after a rather shambolic weekend on my part.

This weekend as proved to be a serious wake up call, and a good slap across my face to get my shyte together. I've become complacent and have been relying on previous fitness gains to get me through, which their not. It is now a case of damage limitation for the next 9 weeks and I need you lot to keep me honest if you will. I'm not going to try and get any major gains, just to try and get some consistent training in for 9 weeks. Azz, well and truly handed to me on a plate.

(^^^This is how not to do it^^^)

Edited to put in profanity

Edited by Richardsdrr 2015-07-05 12:26 PM
2015-07-05 7:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Nice bike.

I'm not bothering with a RR as such, so here is my write up for a shyte storm of a weekend...

What a complete and utter shambles of a weekend on my part. I think it's been a case of resting on my laurels and a complacency with the course difficulty based on last years effort. One big serious wake up call for moi.

The swim.

I DNF'd. I only completed one lap of the swim. I found it incredibly difficult compared to previous efforts. I guess I've been lucky with the tide on the last few years and this has given me a false sense of security. To put it into context, 2013 LCW I swam 2 laps at 1:18:??, last year 1:14:??, this year it took me 55:?? to complete one lap and I felt foosed. To get to the first buoy took me 15:?? in 2013 and 2014, this year it took me close to 26 minutes. Admittedly, I have done next to no swim training, apart from a tri camp where they tried to re-teach me how to swim for 5 days. But then, I did absolutely no swim training in the 2013-2014 period either and dropped 4 minutes. Okay, we now know the swim was long, the consensus being 400-500m long on the IM Wales facebook group, also agreed by the person that set the course. So, perhaps I should have not looked at the time and just got back in for the second lap, it's just I felt defeated and spent. Probably a huge psychological problem I must overcome. If the swim was the correct distance, and I had got out the first lap in 45 minutes, then I probably would have gone straight back in for the 2nd. Things for me to take away from this. Don't jack it, crack on and get through it. Get some swim endurance training in. Try using a nose clip (I kept getting salt water going down the back of my throat even though I wasn't breathing it in on my breathes, it made me throw up a few times on the lap).

Bike.

I was booked in for a 0745 start time. Got up as planned in order to get the bike from the car and get down to the start mat in time to grab some breakfast and use the ablutions etc. I got my bike and got down there no problems. It was only when I was queuing for the toilet that I realised i'd left my race numbers in the car. Back up to the multistory to get them and started to get them out of the car when I heard pstttttttttttt. Nope, wasn't someone trying to grab my attention to sell me knock off goods, it was my front tyre. So, whipped off the tyre, pulled out the inner, pumped it up, located the hole. Had a look in the wheel and tyre for anything, nothing. Stuck a new tube on, pumped it up, got to 100 psi, pssstttttt, AAArrrrrrggghhh. Took that one off, repaired 1 st tube, put back on, pssssttttt. FFS. Back off, patch not taking to the tube,tick tock, start time fast approaching, repair 2nd tube, pump up, pssstttttt, a hole somewhere else. GGRRRrr, can't fecking believe this. Threw tubes in car, locked up and carried bike down to start to see a mechanic, where they fitted a new tube. He couldn't find anything wrong either. Possibly had a dodgy batch of tubes? Anyway, missed start time, so DQ'd already. Didn't grab any breakfast, so set off at 0830am with no food since 1530 the day before, not good, especially when I find out later my gels are on the bedside table of my B&B.

First part uneventful out to Angle, held back at about 180W, no strava segment pb's on this section, which is good. Angle to Pembroke @176W, which gave me a PB over this section, possibly due to the tail wind. Got to Lamphey and filled one water bottle, left the juice bottle half full, thought I'd have enough :-/

Out to Narbeth was okay, by the time I was approaching Princes Gate I was depleted of carbs after going through the 100 calories I was carrying on the bike. Both bottles were depleted by now and I was seriously bonking, the shakes, dizzy etc. I was pushing 90 watts toward the end of that stretch and it felt more like I was pushing 400. Sat down and got some fuel in me in the form of a bacon butty, some root beer and some flap jacks from one of the marshals. Now, I've down this ride on no fuel before without a problem, in fact, I'd done it in the past 5 weeks with no food at all. Perhaps the lack of training this past month has lead to a bigger drop in my FTP than I have accounted for and I was riding at too great an effort for my current fitness level. Another thing bothering me is my left knee was giving me gyp. Both the knee cap, as in a tracking issue, and the bony protrusion on the outside of the knee were hurting. I'd fitted a new set of cleats to my shoes prior to the ride. Normally I fit yellow sdp cleats, but this time I fitted a red set I had lying around. Could this be the problem? Even today, as I write this, the bony protrusion is hurting to touch.

To top it all off, I had a text through from work with my start time for the night. which was 2200 hrs instead of 0200 hrs like planned. Oh well, to be honest, it was kinda nice to have the decision of doing the 2nd lap taken out of my hands after a rather shambolic weekend on my part.

This weekend as proved to be a serious wake up call, and a good slap across my face to get my shyte together. I've become complacent and have been relying on previous fitness gains to get me through, which their not. It is now a case of damage limitation for the next 9 weeks and I need you lot to keep me honest if you will. I'm not going to try and get any major gains, just to try and get some consistent training in for 9 weeks. Azz, well and truly handed to me on a plate.

(^^^This is how not to do it^^^)

Edited to put in profanity
Darren I'm so sorry that your weekend didn't go well.

So now that you have had some time to ponder it, what are the plans for the next 9 weeks? What race have you got in 9 weeks time?

Edited by StaceyK 2015-07-05 7:55 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66237 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27831 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11778 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36963 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66035 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.