BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by cdban66

Today the part of Janyne, updater of races will be played by Chris (albeit, not very well and with considerably less flair!):

Racing Manatees!

Janyne - Vineman IM on Saturday
Adrienne - USATF Mountain Running National Championship on Saturday
Kate - Blood, Sweat, and Beers Trail Run on Sunday
Stacey - Perth Swan River Run 5k on Sunday 

Race well and enjoy the weekend!!!

GO MANATEES GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I'm doing a sprint in the Waco Tri this weekend, but we don't really need to add that...   

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!!

One addition:  me.  I'm doing the Evergreen Sprint on Sunday.  Won't you all be glad to have me stop whining about the cold and the hard ride?

The weather here in Denver was in the 90's yesterday and is predicted to be the same through the weekend.  For once, I'm actually rooting for the heat!  The hotter the better as far as I'm concerned.  The race is early morning and Evergreen is about 1,700' higher than Denver, so it won't be hot during the race.  However, the air temp should be higher and the water a little warmer than anticipated.  Feeling a *lot* better about the race and ready to tackle and conquer it.

BTW, my race on Wednesday was HOT (85* and mostly on concrete/asphalt).  I didn't get cramps or blow up and my knee didn't hurt at all.  I used it as a training run and my time was about as expected so I'm happy with how I did.  Plus I rode my bike about 1/2 mile to the site so I wouldn't have to pay to get into the state park.  There's a hill to get back out of the park.  Last year, that hill was hard.  This year, it was a piece of cake.  What a difference a year makes!

See, I told you I was not a very good stand in for Janyne!   Sorry Mary and Monica.

The worst part is that I had dropped Mary a line about her race earlier this week. I have a few tools that I would suggest for you Mary. Really for anyone:

1. Prepare the night before.  I believe this is on the list that Janyne has shared in the past, but it will make your race morning much less stressful. Have everything packed that can be packed and a sticky note on the door that says "water bottle in refridgerator" or some such note so you remember that as well.
  2. After you are all set up in transition, do some transition recon. The RD may have provided a race map, but familiarize yourself anyway. Check the swim in, the bike out, the bike in and the run out. It is a simple 5 minute task and may end up saving you time and aggravation during the race, because...
  3. Step away from everyone for a few minutes and visualize the race.  I picked this one up from a really good AG racer that I have a lot of respect for (thank you Rusty).  Don't see the perfect race that you want to run, but the race that you have trained for.  See yourself coming out of the water, smoothly getting out of the wetsuit and heading to transition 1.  See yourself getting ready to bike.  See yourself mounting the bike smoothly and getting up to speed.  See yourself getting water from the aid stations on the run.  See all that you will need to do in the race.  It helps, more than you might think.

Then there is the "Don't List":

1. Do not fret over the uncontrolables.  You can't control them, so don't worry about them.  That is energy that can be expended elsewhere.
  2. Do not compare yourself or your equipment to others.  You are you.  Mirinda is Mirinda. 
  3. Do not lose sight of why you do this, who you are, or how far you have come. This is your race!

Do not ask how I have such a list, experience is a wonderful and occasionally mean teacher 

Above all, smile often, thank a volunteer, and have a blast!!!

2015-07-24 10:50 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I am now an Oscar Fan!!! Keep us in the loop with how things are going, please.

And take care of yourself as well.

2015-07-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks for the reminders, Chris.  I've already been visualizing and will tape the key bike points to my bike so I don't have to try to remember them. I'm also only talking positively about the race to people rather than focusing on any worries I might have.  The more positive stuff I say, the more I'll internalize that.  Just read another BTer's post about the bike section.  He just drove it recently and hasn't ridden it and is now intimidated.  It definitely pays to do recon before the race!!!!

Today I'll be hydrating, packing what I can, re-reading the bike map, and thinking lots of positive thoughts.  I'm also doing a lot of rolling on my hip and using some topical analgesic to make sure it's as happy as possible.  I feel ready and am already proud of actually feeling able to do this race.  Makes me grin just thinking about it.

2015-07-24 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks for the reminders, Chris.  I've already been visualizing and will tape the key bike points to my bike so I don't have to try to remember them. I'm also only talking positively about the race to people rather than focusing on any worries I might have.  The more positive stuff I say, the more I'll internalize that.  Just read another BTer's post about the bike section.  He just drove it recently and hasn't ridden it and is now intimidated.  It definitely pays to do recon before the race!!!!

Today I'll be hydrating, packing what I can, re-reading the bike map, and thinking lots of positive thoughts.  I'm also doing a lot of rolling on my hip and using some topical analgesic to make sure it's as happy as possible.  I feel ready and am already proud of actually feeling able to do this race.  Makes me grin just thinking about it.

Awesome, have a great race!

2015-07-24 11:54 AM

User image

Master

Goooooooo Racers!

Janyne - Is this race stalk-able?

Adrienne - Be baaaaaaaaaaaaad a$$ (<--------a mountain goat cheering you on)

Kate - Hoping for minimal Blood and Sweat and lots of Beers

Stacey -Map of swan river manitoba This is the Swan River in Manitoba.  Hope yours is straighter.  I would get dizzy running that.

Monica--You too be bad azz.  It's beautiful y'know.

Mary--Wooot wooot!  Keep that grin on your face the whole time!  The accomplishment is feeling ready, knowing you have done the work to stand at the start line and be able to finish.  The race and the finish line are just the icing!

2015-07-24 12:34 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I am now an Oscar Fan!!! Keep us in the loop with how things are going, please.

And take care of yourself as well.

+1.  Oscar is a great story.  Very inspirational.  I wish him the best.

2015-07-24 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

dp. sorry

Edited by popsracer 2015-07-24 12:38 PM
2015-07-24 12:40 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by brigby1

Well his first sentence might be sorta true. He never made it to week 1 in what's shown.

SNERK!

"He's 47 years old. He fails to understand he's not 17 or 27."

I think this describes 99% of male seasoned triathletes.

2015-07-24 12:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Today the part of Janyne, updater of races will be played by Chris (albeit, not very well and with considerably less flair!):

Racing Manatees!

Good luck to all the speedy Manatees this weekend.  Certainly a lot of action.  Stay safe and have fun.

I'll probably do a 5k tomorrow just need to decide which one.  Flat and fast, small local race (Ferndale Pioneer Days 5k) or go down and do the Seafair race running through a couple hundred thousand folks lining the Grand Parade route.  I want to do Seafair but convincing the family to tag along yet another weekend may be a tough sell.   I haven't brought up the Oly I want to do in a couple of weeks so have to decide how I play my chips.

2015-07-24 12:54 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

A special good luck to you Mary.  I know you will do great.

2015-07-24 1:17 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by popsracer

A special good luck to you Mary.  I know you will do great.

Mary you are soooo ready for this. The hay is in the barn. You've reconned and trained and YOU ARE READY!

2015-07-24 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

You are SO ready for this Mary!  I can't wait to read the RR for when you've crossed the finish line with an even bigger grin on your face!  :D 

2015-07-24 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx

Goooooooo Racers!

Janyne - Is this race stalk-able?

I just ran across Vineman information in Janyne's log:

http://gulfsporttiming.com/results.php?rid=EtA3cE&race=Vineman#/results::14375055972600

http://www.vineman.com/

Edited by cdban66 2015-07-24 2:41 PM
2015-07-24 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

GO NYNY!!!
GO SALTY!!!
GO KATIFROG!!!
GO STACE FACE!!!
GO TANGERINES!!!
GO HAPPYSTONED!!!

I'll just quote Yanti, since she says it with way more color and energy than I can.

2015-07-24 2:56 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by msteiner

GO NYNY!!!
GO SALTY!!!
GO KATIFROG!!!
GO STACE FACE!!!
GO TANGERINES!!!
GO HAPPYSTONED!!!

I'll just quote Yanti, since she says it with way more color and energy than I can.

What he and she said!  I'm on vacation, so I'm being a little lazy...  you guys will all do great, you've got this!!

2015-07-24 6:16 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by melbo55

GO NYNY!!!
GO SALTY!!!
GO KATIFROG!!!
GO STACE FACE!!!
GO TANGERINES!!!
GO HAPPYSTONED!!!

What he and she said!  I'm on vacation, so I'm being a little lazy...  you guys will all do great, you've got this!!

Goooooooooo Racers!!!!!!

2015-07-24 7:03 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by melbo55

GO NYNY!!!
GO SALTY!!!
GO KATIFROG!!!
GO STACE FACE!!!
GO TANGERINES!!!
GO HAPPYSTONED!!!

Ladies are representing. Go racers.

Goooooooooo Racers!!!!!!
2015-07-24 8:38 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Go racers! Have a blast and don't forget to smile for those cameras!
2015-07-25 12:46 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Oscar was racing this weekend too ... now I really am crying.

By the way, he did NO TRAINING last week--he managed to get a tiny bit of swim cords and a couple super-short easy runs in. That's it. He was taking time off with his family for the end-of-Ramadhan holidays and they went sightseeing off the island.

Two weeks before that we had a big drama because he was very sick and between the doctor, him, and me the question was to antibiotics or not? Impossible to tell without a culture but he was really sick and getting sicker, blood values indicated bacterial source more likely, and we didn't really have the time to maybe let it get worse / see if it was a virus.

So this is Oscar coming off a sickness (yes, I'm contagious. Clearly. Kingsley's been sick more in the last two years than his whole life before that!) and pretty close to no training for actually 3 weeks. OK, now I'm also seeing more and more how Oscar and I might be a good match too HA!

And we are very, very, very proud to be part of the De Soto team now too PS Malaka Speed is a boat company that shuttles between the northwest Indonesian islands and Singapore and they sponsored his race entry and getting him to/from S'pore.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2015-07-25 12:50 AM
2015-07-25 3:50 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!

GO TEAM!!!!

And MONICA and MARY! WOOT!!!!

And Oscar - who clearly is an honorary Manatee!!!

Off for my last 112 mile ride!
2015-07-25 8:27 AM

User image

Another Oscar fan here!

And now I know why I'm sick a week before my race. Hang out here and get a virus. Thanks Yanti

Off for my last 4 hour ride. Its a very easy ride. My instructions are to stop at every Starbucks/coffee shop and ride easy in between. Not sure what I'm supposed to do at every SB/coffee shop because I hate coffee, but I'll stop because I always follow directions.

2015-07-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: #5116906

User image

Denver, CO
Janyne is out of the water and on the bike. Swim 1:41:01, T1 6:12. Go, Janyne!!
2015-07-25 11:21 AM
in reply to: #5130936

User image

Denver, CO
Wow, Yanti, HUGE kudos to Oscar!!! No matter where he places, he's a winner to do what he does. THAT placement is phenomenal!!! You must both be immensely proud.
2015-07-25 12:59 PM
in reply to: #5130940

User image

Denver, CO
Janyne is past the first bike checkpoint and going strong at 16.7 mph. Go go go!!
2015-07-25 1:24 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Go Janyne Go!!!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66420 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27884 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11799 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37023 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66180 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.