BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-09-01 11:32 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by popsracer

My son is pressing hard for a dog and I think we are weakening.  The companionship and responsibility would be good for him and I think he is ready.  We took an online breed compatibility test that was quite extensive and a vizsla came back as the best fit.  So funny because my older, adult son has a vizsla.  I've taken him running before and they can run like you wouldn't believe.  Would be pretty cool to have a running buddy.

Steve, I'll throw a wrench in your decision. not really a wrench, just more options!

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/training/trail-tips/1244-top-10-dog-breeds-for-trail-runners

I woman I run with has a golden doodle.  he's almost 10 and still running strong.  In fact, he might beat me in our run streak challenge!! 

Lol - If you're looking for a good dog to run with, I would suggest AGAINST a pitt/vizsla mix.  She gets about a mile in and then just lays down and Will.Not.Move.  It was so bad the last time we took her for a 3 mile walk in one of the state parks that Tony had to carry her at one point while I ran for the car.  Let's just say that she's not built for endurance... or speed.  

My pit/lab mix is the same way. He's good for about a mile, then he's done. And when he's done, he's done, ain't no moving him.

Do note that the two of you are in areas that tend to be rather hot. That can have a huge effect on how much a dog runs.

True, but I don't take them (or me) out long when it's hot and the girls (GSH & kelpie) will go much further than he in the same conditions.

2015-09-01 12:02 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

My son is pressing hard for a dog and I think we are weakening.  The companionship and responsibility would be good for him and I think he is ready.  We took an online breed compatibility test that was quite extensive and a vizsla came back as the best fit.  So funny because my older, adult son has a vizsla.  I've taken him running before and they can run like you wouldn't believe.  Would be pretty cool to have a running buddy.

Steve, I'll throw a wrench in your decision. not really a wrench, just more options!

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/training/trail-tips/1244-top-10-dog-breeds-for-trail-runners

I woman I run with has a golden doodle.  he's almost 10 and still running strong.  In fact, he might beat me in our run streak challenge!! 

Lol - If you're looking for a good dog to run with, I would suggest AGAINST a pitt/vizsla mix.  She gets about a mile in and then just lays down and Will.Not.Move.  It was so bad the last time we took her for a 3 mile walk in one of the state parks that Tony had to carry her at one point while I ran for the car.  Let's just say that she's not built for endurance... or speed.  

My pit/lab mix is the same way. He's good for about a mile, then he's done. And when he's done, he's done, ain't no moving him.

Do note that the two of you are in areas that tend to be rather hot. That can have a huge effect on how much a dog runs.

True, but I don't take them (or me) out long when it's hot and the girls (GSH & kelpie) will go much further than he in the same conditions.

The last attempt was a beautiful night here last week when the temps broke & were in the low 80s for a 2 mile jaunt... and she made it 1 mile before having to lie down.  Eventually she moved again... for about a half mile before she laid down on the concrete and was done.  We don't take her out at all when it's really hot out.  

2015-09-01 12:53 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

The last attempt was a beautiful night here last week when the temps broke & were in the low 80s for a 2 mile jaunt... and she made it 1 mile before having to lie down.  Eventually she moved again... for about a half mile before she laid down on the concrete and was done.  We don't take her out at all when it's really hot out.  

Well, in there is kind of the point. "Temperature broke" is still in the 80's. Still pretty warm out for the dogs. That's about all I might expect from one. Unless (maybe) it's known or shown to be a desert conditions breed. I've read and been told that the point to really watch for a lot of dogs is more in the 70's. Once it reaches that, to really start watching the dogs and limit their exposure.

2015-09-01 1:13 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando

Well, in there is kind of the point. "Temperature broke" is still in the 80's. Still pretty warm out for the dogs. That's about all I might expect from one. Unless (maybe) it's known or shown to be a desert conditions breed. I've read and been told that the point to really watch for a lot of dogs is more in the 70's. Once it reaches that, to really start watching the dogs and limit their exposure.

there is a critical care vet who writes a column about dogs and running who says if the temperature plus humidity is greater than 150 you should not run with your dog.  If you do you risk them getting heat stroke or worse.  So, if the temp is 70 and the humidity is 85% you shouldn't run them since that equals 155. This pretty much means I can never run with my dog!!

2015-09-01 1:19 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK So does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would find out when the Disney Marathon weekend is on in 2018?

This sounds like a job for Hands but I think it's always the weekend after the first Monday of the year

January 6-8, 2017

January 4-7, 2018

It looks like 2018 is the 25th anniversary race.

I don't know if they've posted the dates yet, but those dates should be right.  The Marathon is on Sunday, so if the 7th is Sunday that's the date.  Are you planning a trip to Disney?

Well Phil and I and my friend K and her husband are planning to spend Christmas 2017 in Canada and today K saw the Disney medals and now wants to come home via Florida and get this do the DOPEY CHALLENGE! K has never run in her life, she walked the 12k on the weekend. She is about 100lb over weight but she is really psyched to do this. She has even printed off a massive photo of the 6 Disney medals and stuck it on the wall right in front of her desk. It is all about her bling - but if that's what motivates her to start to get active and lose some weight I don't care. She has already signed up to do a tri with me early in November.

You might want to keep quiet about the Coast to Coast Challenge

While Googling Coast to Coast Challenge, I came across this http://www.ratracecoasttocoast.com/ and I really, really, really want to do it!  2017, perhaps.  I've long wanted to visit Scotland since I am of Scottish descent, and this race sounds EPIC (just for you, Chris)! 

No no no!  EPCOT!

Wait, were we talking about Scotland or the Land of the Mouse? ;-)

2015-09-01 2:46 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Katy, Texas
Just signed up for the Houston Marathon and Ironman Texas.

2015-09-01 3:39 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK So does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would find out when the Disney Marathon weekend is on in 2018?

This sounds like a job for Hands but I think it's always the weekend after the first Monday of the year

January 6-8, 2017

January 4-7, 2018

I don't know if they've posted the dates yet, but those dates should be right.  The Marathon is on Sunday, so if the 7th is Sunday that's the date.  Are you planning a trip to Disney?

Well Phil and I and my friend K and her husband are planning to spend Christmas 2017 in Canada and today K saw the Disney medals and now wants to come home via Florida and get this do the DOPEY CHALLENGE! K has never run in her life, she walked the 12k on the weekend. She is about 100lb over weight but she is really psyched to do this. She has even printed off a massive photo of the 6 Disney medals and stuck it on the wall right in front of her desk. It is all about her bling - but if that's what motivates her to start to get active and lose some weight I don't care. She has already signed up to do a tri with me early in November.

While Googling Coast to Coast Challenge, I came across this http://www.ratracecoasttocoast.com/ and I really, really, really want to do it!  2017, perhaps.  I've long wanted to visit Scotland since I am of Scottish descent, and this race sounds EPIC (just for you, Chris)! 

No no no!  EPCOT!

Wait, were we talking about Scotland or the Land of the Mouse? ;-)

I saw the one you meant, featuring Mickey and crew, but couldn't help but notice the one in Scotland...

2015-09-01 3:39 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Jet Black Just signed up for the Houston Marathon and Ironman Texas.   

That is so exciting!!!!

2015-09-01 5:34 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black Just signed up for the Houston Marathon and Ironman Texas.

LOL and SWEEEET!

2015-09-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That is so exciting!!!!

Should be a lot of fun.  What kind of a plan are you looking at?

I thought about Ironman Texas last year.  I watched a ton of videos of the course.  Looks like a great venue and the rolling start makes it much, much more attractive to me.  Hmmm...

Edited by popsracer 2015-09-01 5:43 PM
2015-09-01 5:48 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Looks like I am doing the Muds to Suds run this weekend.  I never really had any desire to do one of these but my son is really excited about doing it so I thought I'd tag along and be a little piggy in the mud with him.  Anyone ever done one of these and have any words of wisdom or does wisdom just not apply

2015-09-01 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

January 6-8, 2017

January 4-7, 2018

Too late she found it. She was like "oh I wonder if my boss (that's me) will let me extend my holiday so we can do the Coast to Coast Challenge too." I fobbed her off but we could fly home through LA rather than Dallas which makes it closer
2015-09-01 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sorry about your bank account!

2015-09-01 8:19 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

January 6-8, 2017

January 4-7, 2018

Too late she found it. She was like "oh I wonder if my boss (that's me) will let me extend my holiday so we can do the Coast to Coast Challenge too." I fobbed her off but we could fly home through LA rather than Dallas which makes it closer

hahaha!

You'll be interested to know that the Disney events are generally Galloway supported with run/walk pacers, etc.

http://www.rundisney.com/training/

2015-09-02 2:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

January 6-8, 2017

January 4-7, 2018

hahaha!

You'll be interested to know that the Disney events are generally Galloway supported with run/walk pacers, etc.

Yep I found that today. I have had a conversation with her that doing this is going to involve some serious training. She isn't going to be able to just wing it. Her response was "that's cool you just tell me what I need to do and I will do it. I REALLY REALLY want those medals." And she announced in staff worship this morning that we were going to do it so its really out there in public now.

So considering that we are talking January 2018 and just this last weekend K walked a 12k event in 2.5 hours this is the preliminary plan that I have given her based on some local events that we have here:

May 2016 run/walk 12k
July 2016 run/walk 15k
late August 2016 run/walk HM (set the goal time that she needs to finish in 3 hours or less)
May 2017 run/walk HM
July 2017 run/walk 15k (longest course available at this event)
late August 2017 run/walk Marathon

K has some knee issues so I have said that the first thing that she must do is go and get fitted for some decent shoes, no more supermarket specials. And then as a starting point for the next month she must walk for 30 minutes as fast as she can five times a week. She has signed up to do a mini tri with me in November so I have also said that she has to ride once a week.

Now I have to work out where to go from there for her. And where to even start for myself. she is sooooo excited and its really cool to see that.

Its her birthday soon and I'm thinking that I need to get her a medal holder for all the race bling that is coming her way. Any ideas of where to get a good quality one? Has anyone dealt with these people before https://www.medalhangers.com/ Ive tried to find someone in Australia so I don't have to deal with the $ conversion and the international freight costs because it makes them pretty pricey for what they are but I just cant really find any that I really like here.
2015-09-02 5:26 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Looks like I am doing the Muds to Suds run this weekend.  I never really had any desire to do one of these but my son is really excited about doing it so I thought I'd tag along and be a little piggy in the mud with him.  Anyone ever done one of these and have any words of wisdom or does wisdom just not apply

I got my dates wrong.  This was last weekend.  Darn.

2015-09-02 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

January 6-8, 2017

January 4-7, 2018

hahaha!

Yep I found that today. I have had a conversation with her that doing this is going to involve some serious training. She isn't going to be able to just wing it. Her response was "that's cool you just tell me what I need to do and I will do it. I REALLY REALLY want those medals." And she announced in staff worship this morning that we were going to do it so its really out there in public now. So considering that we are talking January 2018 and just this last weekend K walked a 12k event in 2.5 hours this is the preliminary plan that I have given her based on some local events that we have here: May 2016 run/walk 12k July 2016 run/walk 15k late August 2016 run/walk HM (set the goal time that she needs to finish in 3 hours or less) May 2017 run/walk HM July 2017 run/walk 15k (longest course available at this event) late August 2017 run/walk Marathon K has some knee issues so I have said that the first thing that she must do is go and get fitted for some decent shoes, no more supermarket specials. And then as a starting point for the next month she must walk for 30 minutes as fast as she can five times a week. She has signed up to do a mini tri with me in November so I have also said that she has to ride once a week. Now I have to work out where to go from there for her. And where to even start for myself. she is sooooo excited and its really cool to see that. Its her birthday soon and I'm thinking that I need to get her a medal holder for all the race bling that is coming her way. Any ideas of where to get a good quality one? Has anyone dealt with these people before https://www.medalhangers.com/Ive tried to find someone in Australia so I don't have to deal with the $ conversion and the international freight costs because it makes them pretty pricey for what they are but I just cant really find any that I really like here.

Check etsy.com.  It looks like there were one or two Australian shops in there that might work.

2015-09-02 8:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Stacey - that is so cool that K is so motivated to train for those races, er, medals!  Hopefully it will be a fun process for the both of you, finding buddy races to do along the way as prep.

In other breaking, exciting news, New Belgium beer is FINALLY allowed to be sold in Pennsylvania!!! WOOOOO!!!  No more runs to MD or VA to buy it.  Mmmm, Fat Tire, mmmmm, Snapshot, mmmm Sunshine, mmmmmm all the other varieties I haven't been able to try yet but sound delicious...

Edited by melbo55 2015-09-02 8:39 AM
2015-09-02 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Stacey - I really have a biased outlook on Disney races, being a Disnoid and all.  For a company that does such a great job moving large crowds of people from one place to the other, the start of the HM there was a racers nightmare.  Barely moving out of your corral and weaving through people for the first couple of miles. Yuck. Now that I got that out of my system, lets see what they do well.  Great support.  Great course.  Fun atmosphere.  Well run packet pickup.  Good expo.  Bus you in, bus you out when you are done.  At some point in my life I may step up to longer events, and when I do, I will start there.  They do it all right.  The final negative on the list is simply a Disney tradition, and it is the $$$$'s.  I've fiddled the Goofy or Dopey around in my pea brain and it would be quite the accomplishment for anyone.  It is a looong weekend of running for the mere mortal.  Or just another weekend for Salty!

Melanie - Epic seems good for the Scotland rat race. Not much else, but I believe that qualifies.

Sean - Congrats on your upcoming races.  Putting something on the calendar seems to help a lot of folks with focus.

Steve - Sorry to see your weekend is not going to be what you had planned.

Ann-Marie - I think the 150 number might be true for humans too. At least it does by the time September arrives in Florida.

Adrienne - What is next on your calendar?  No pressure or anything, but the pics from the last one were pretty cool to see!

I hope everyone is doing well. Enjoy whatever the rest of the week has in store for you!

2015-09-02 12:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

I'm working on a little better presentation of the trip right now and I will share when it's done.

I'm taking a break currently. My coach says you either take planned breaks or unplanned breaks.  Also, I've got a lot of skin to regrow.

I have a pre-season XC race and one more race in the trail race series at the end of the month which I will do just coming off the break so, no goals. Then it's cross country season! 

2015-09-02 12:17 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Oh, and a run-summit attempt of Mt. Whitney early October. But that's not a race. 

2015-09-02 12:46 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Stacey - that is so cool that K is so motivated to train for those races, er, medals!  Hopefully it will be a fun process for the both of you, finding buddy races to do along the way as prep.

In other breaking, exciting news, New Belgium beer is FINALLY allowed to be sold in Pennsylvania!!! WOOOOO!!!  No more runs to MD or VA to buy it.  Mmmm, Fat Tire, mmmmm, Snapshot, mmmm Sunshine, mmmmmm all the other varieties I haven't been able to try yet but sound delicious...

New Belgium will be at our local brew fest this weekend. There are only a few out-of-staters each day and I think they'll be here Saturday but I think we plan to go on Sunday. My fave Colorado craft beer won't be there at all  but I'm sure I'll find something I like

2015-09-02 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Stacey - I really have a biased outlook on Disney races, being a Disnoid and all.  For a company that does such a great job moving large crowds of people from one place to the other, the start of the HM there was a racers nightmare.  Barely moving out of your corral and weaving through people for the first couple of miles. Yuck. Now that I got that out of my system, lets see what they do well.  Great support.  Great course.  Fun atmosphere.  Well run packet pickup.  Good expo.  Bus you in, bus you out when you are done.  At some point in my life I may step up to longer events, and when I do, I will start there.  They do it all right.  The final negative on the list is simply a Disney tradition, and it is the $$$$'s.  I've fiddled the Goofy or Dopey around in my pea brain and it would be quite the accomplishment for anyone.  It is a looong weekend of running for the mere mortal.  Or just another weekend for Salty!

Melanie - Epic seems good for the Scotland rat race. Not much else, but I believe that qualifies.

Sean - Congrats on your upcoming races.  Putting something on the calendar seems to help a lot of folks with focus.

Ann-Marie - I think the 150 number might be true for humans too. At least it does by the time September arrives in Florida.

Adrienne - What is next on your calendar?  No pressure or anything, but the pics from the last one were pretty cool to see!

I hope everyone is doing well. Enjoy whatever the rest of the week has in store for you!

No doubt! I will be in Phoenix next week and thought I'd run to In-N-Out because I won't have a car. So i looked at the weather forecast, it's still over 100!!!!!! Um, no.

2015-09-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

No doubt! I will be in Phoenix next week and thought I'd run to In-N-Out because I won't have a car. So i looked at the weather forecast, it's still over 100!!!!!! Um, no.

I hear it's a dry heat.  I'm not sure what that means.

2015-09-02 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I hear it's a dry heat.  I'm not sure what that means.

I think it means it's liking running in your oven!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66443 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27897 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11804 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37040 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66190 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.