BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-20 9:50 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Spring cleaning. Brand new thread all ready for "it seemed like a good idea at the time"

2015-05-20 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
In for new thread.

Question for the manatees, how does everyone determine their threshold swim pace? I think I've got mine set too high in TP and am getting too high of TSS for my swim workouts in proportion to bike/run.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-05-20 10:06 AM
2015-05-20 9:56 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Yippee!!  A sparkling new thread to fill with facts and fun.  Thanks, your Yantiness.    Hope you're feeling better.

2015-05-20 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

C'mon in everybody! The water's warm

2015-05-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black In for new thread. Question for the manatees, how does everyone determine their threshold swim pace? I think I've got mine set to high in TP and am getting too high of TSS for my swim workouts in proportion to bike/run.

I never did.

If your t-pace is too high (fast) then the TSS will be too low if you maintain the same pacing.

2015-05-20 10:07 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Jet Black In for new thread. Question for the manatees, how does everyone determine their threshold swim pace? I think I've got mine set to high in TP and am getting too high of TSS for my swim workouts in proportion to bike/run.

Several ways to skin this cat. (Smoky is getting on my nerves, can you tell? )

Unless you're used to swimming 1000m or so at a steady clip every few weeks, this one from Swim Smooth is probably the most reliable and easy to apply (not easy, just easy to apply )

This is what they suggest as a warm-up/workout that incorporates 2 time trials. IMO you can do anything that gives you a decent warmup, then swim down.

See attached pic.

(CSS.SS.resize.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CSS.SS.resize.jpg (97KB - 14 downloads)

2015-05-20 10:08 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

I never did.

If your t-pace is too high (fast) then the TSS will be too low if you maintain the same pacing.

Yeah, sorry. I meant too high as in too long of an interval.
2015-05-20 10:14 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Jet Black

I never did.

Something else to keep in mind is that you can and should be putting in significantly more effort into the limited time for swim training. That's because we can, and it's proven to be a very effective way to train.

If you put the same amount of effort into a 1-hr bike or run workout, you would be smoked. Toasted. Legs burnt.

2015-05-20 10:27 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I never did.

Something else to keep in mind is that you can and should be putting in significantly more effort into the limited time for swim training. That's because we can, and it's proven to be a very effective way to train.

If you put the same amount of effort into a 1-hr bike or run workout, you would be smoked. Toasted. Legs burnt.

Thanks Yanti, good stuff. I'll work that into one of my workouts.

I feel like I've been giving good hard efforts in these workouts, but just not convinced my TSS should be as high as it is. I struggled deciding what to put there because I can sprint quite fast for a 100, but my endurance just isn't there yet to maintain anything anywhere near that for 30-60 minutes straight. I think part of the problem is that I've been swimming quite a bit lately and have probably increased my fitness from where I thought I was.
2015-05-20 11:28 AM

User image

Seattle

Everyone got some exciting stuff going on  for the long weekend?

2015-05-20 11:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

I never did.

Thanks Yanti, good stuff. I'll work that into one of my workouts. I feel like I've been giving good hard efforts in these workouts, but just not convinced my TSS should be as high as it is. I struggled deciding what to put there because I can sprint quite fast for a 100, but my endurance just isn't there yet to maintain anything anywhere near that for 30-60 minutes straight. I think part of the problem is that I've been swimming quite a bit lately and have probably increased my fitness from where I thought I was.

Think this is where I didn't use it. My speed was flatter than others. Form was also varying. Improving at times, but also having days it was just way off. I would have been constantly adjusting it as swim speed is so technique dependent.

2015-05-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Weeding if the rain ever stops, training, choir rehearsals on Sat. and Mon., maybe seeing my darling 1 y.o. niece.  Was going to ride the route for my 1st tri but they're having rain and snow(!) up there so I think I'll stick to the drainer.  Might get some new bike tires and will definitely take a nap or 2.  Nothing too over the top.

What's on tap for you?

2015-05-20 12:03 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Weeding if the rain ever stops, training, choir rehearsals on Sat. and Mon., maybe seeing my darling 1 y.o. niece.  Was going to ride the route for my 1st tri but they're having rain and snow(!) up there so I think I'll stick to the drainer.  Might get some new bike tires and will definitely take a nap or 2.  Nothing too over the top.

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

I am going to Vegas tomorrow (my sisters 40th) with a side trip to Zion and Red Rock. Hoping to get some time to just lay by the pool and read.But then I come back to Seattle Sat night so I get a few days with J to maybe relax, do a little road trip etc.

Oh, and running. Always running.

2015-05-20 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

I am going to Vegas tomorrow (my sisters 40th) with a side trip to Zion and Red Rock. Hoping to get some time to just lay by the pool and read.But then I come back to Seattle Sat night so I get a few days with J to maybe relax, do a little road trip etc.

I love Zion - i'm jealous!!

I'm staying in town this weekend b/c I'm going out of town the next weekend.  So, in addition to normal weekend stuff, they'll probably be a BBQ with family.  The most surprising thing I'll be doing is riding my bike  I haven't been on it since my last tri - which was last June!!

2015-05-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

I'm staying in town this weekend b/c I'm going out of town the next weekend.  So, in addition to normal weekend stuff, they'll probably be a BBQ with family.  The most surprising thing I'll be doing is riding my bike  I haven't been on it since my last tri - which was last June!!

I'm holding on to a very very very slim chance I might be able to run the BolderBoulder with my sailor

Otherwise, it'll be house stuff and maybe some exploring with DH and DS1.

2015-05-20 12:26 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

I'm holding on to a very very very slim chance I might be able to run the BolderBoulder with my sailor

Why slim chance?

2015-05-20 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

Why slim chance?

He has to a) get the liberty approved and

b) fork out a LOT of cash for a last minute plane ticket because he hasn't heard yay or nay regarding a) yet.

2015-05-20 12:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

Curious what parts you're looking at? Been to both, but don't really remember specific names of Red Rock points.

Not really sure of the weekend yet. Other riding around a bunch. Still making plans.

2015-05-20 12:35 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

First on my list is changing the brake rotors/pads on my wife's vehicle. Then finishing up the new baseboards & door casings in our master bed & bath (started this project about 3 months ago, heh). Then a massive garage cleanup/organization. I'll finish it off with some house & sidewalk power washing. And of course there will be a few hours of sbr in there too.
2015-05-20 12:37 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Katy, Texas

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

Hey, at least is hasn't been a full year!
2015-05-20 12:37 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Katy, Texas

What's on tap for you?

That sounds perfect!

Why slim chance?

He has to a) get the liberty approved and

b) fork out a LOT of cash for a last minute plane ticket because he hasn't heard yay or nay regarding a) yet.

I hope it all comes together!

2015-05-20 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

In - before it goes to page 20. 

See, I'm still reading avidly - just haven't had time to post (despite much good news and very interesting discussions).

I guess a quick update - very very very busy.  Work and family, but that's actually going well.  Training taking up all my spare time - and I wish I had a bit more of it (training and/or time!).

8k this Sunday and an Oly Monday.  8k is an Autism Speaks run that my company sponsors (we make a test that diagnoses Fragile X Syndrome and have been very active in the space), so I'll  probably jog this one as cheerleader-in-chief.  The Monday Oly is a fun race only (I "get" to swim in Town Lake!), so no real taper and barely even a rest (taking the back half of this week and first half of next as my "rest and test" week, just split up as "rest-test-rest" then back at it for my final 2 week build before the Sweden peak/taper weeks).

OK - back to work!  Crazy but fun stuff going on at the moment...

I hope everyone's training (and non-training) week is going well! 

Matt

2015-05-20 1:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

First on my list is changing the brake rotors/pads on my wife's vehicle. Then finishing up the new baseboards & door casings in our master bed & bath (started this project about 3 months ago, heh). Then a massive garage cleanup/organization. I'll finish it off with some house & sidewalk power washing. And of course there will be a few hours of sbr in there too.

This kind of sounds like my weekend.  Hanging sheetrock in my rental house rehab/rebuild project.  Clean the chicken coup.  Wash vehicles.  Put running boards on my truck.  Maybe some new shocks.

And of course the sbr.  Would like to get in some OWS and a long ride and long run.  Might take my CX bike up a rails to trail path that is about a 50 mile round trip.

Gosh, I'm tired already thinking about the weekend. 

2015-05-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I never did.

Thanks Yanti, good stuff. I'll work that into one of my workouts. I feel like I've been giving good hard efforts in these workouts, but just not convinced my TSS should be as high as it is. I struggled deciding what to put there because I can sprint quite fast for a 100, but my endurance just isn't there yet to maintain anything anywhere near that for 30-60 minutes straight. I think part of the problem is that I've been swimming quite a bit lately and have probably increased my fitness from where I thought I was.

Think this is where I didn't use it. My speed was flatter than others. Form was also varying. Improving at times, but also having days it was just way off. I would have been constantly adjusting it as swim speed is so technique dependent.

I've found that the 1,000 TT is the only way I've been able to get it about right (and that TT hurts!).  Given the amount you've been swimming, you should (I would think) be able to knock out the 1,000 if rested a bit beforehand and get a good pace.

Note that for me there is a considerable difference between that pace and what I can hold in an OWS (pool 1,000 dead at the end of it pace is 1:30 but I held 1:32 in Galveston - and there's an even bigger difference with a wetsuit on based on this year's swims at Barton Springs in the wettie versus straight-line OWS). 

That might just be for me, as I can't do flip turns (yet!), which I think hurts me in the 25yd pool compared to just swimming...  I think you're probably closer between the two, as you're more of a fish (and feesh seem to be similar speeds or the reverse of me for pool to OWS?).

Good luck!

Matt

2015-05-20 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

How sad is it that I thought, "Long weekend, what long weekend?  Oh, it's Memorial Day already, I didn't realize that..."

I just caught up with 7 pages of manatee doings.  Congrats to J, Erin! 

Life has been quite crazy, hence the scarce posting.  My race went well Sat.  Dad stuff is borderline overwhelming at times, both the concern for his well-being and taking care of his affairs and trying to keep it all in order. Oh yeah, and finding time to train and (not) take care of my own house.  Please, no one come over.  For once I'm glad no one from the manatees is near PA!  The place is a wreck and my yard and garden are not up to their usual snuff.  It's quite embarassing and stressful to see it in such disarray.

Many thanks to those who have popped in via inspires to say hi or check in.

Edited by melbo55 2015-05-20 1:40 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66023 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27652 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11704 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36776 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 65901 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.