BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-09-03 11:48 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by brigby1

Oh, and a run-summit attempt of Mt. Whitney early October. But that's not a race. 

Recon for Badwater?

Ha! I prefer to run my hundred milers at a leisurely pace

How about a 200 then Just finished watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZF3ZIftMALooks a nice area.

I think I'd rather run 200 miles in the Gifford Pinchot than 100 in Death Valley!

Also having circumambulated St. Helens and summited Adams, I've experienced a fair amount of that terrain already

(Phew dodged that bullet)

I am, however, eyeing the rut next year. My sister mentioned she would like to go to Moab with me too. See this is the bad thing about taking time off running, too much scheming! 

Leadville? Wasach?

2015-09-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Oh, and a run-summit attempt of Mt. Whitney early October. But that's not a race. 

Recon for Badwater?

How about a 200 then Just finished watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZF3ZIftMALooks a nice area.

I think I'd rather run 200 miles in the Gifford Pinchot than 100 in Death Valley!

Also having circumambulated St. Helens and summited Adams, I've experienced a fair amount of that terrain already

I am, however, eyeing the rut next year. My sister mentioned she would like to go to Moab with me too. See this is the bad thing about taking time off running, too much scheming! 

Leadville? Wasach?

No desire for an ultra. None. Zero!

Having run this past weekend at an extremely leisurely pace, I cannot imagine racing. I don't know that I could have gone any faster than leisurely. 

2015-09-03 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Recon for Badwater?

Leadville? Wasach?

Having run this past weekend at an extremely leisurely pace, I cannot imagine racing. I don't know that I could have gone any faster than leisurely. 

I thought the Rut was a 50K in Montana, http://runtherut.com/

That's not an ultra? Granted, there is a couple of shorter distances to that weekend.

2015-09-03 1:34 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by rrrunner

I'm stunned everytime I look at Strava and see Ann-Marie running in the afternoon or evening.  I am worthless and weak.

No doubt! I wonder about Janyne's lunch sessions too! Crazyness!!!!!

It's generally less unpleasant at lunch than it is after work.  Mornings is out if it's a swim day.  Plus if I run at lunch, I do the first half on the greenway and that's a good thing. Obviously, I'd rather run in the morning but you gotta do what you gotta do!

It actually has been a lot nicer here lately. Only low 90s with mid to low 70s dew point as opposed to a few weeks ago where it was 104 with almost 80 dew point. My HR will actually stabilize on runs now! Can't wait for the first real cool front though!

It's fabulous!!  Our 56 mile bike ride last weekend actually started off with people commenting on how chilly it was    

I love feeling a little Fall in the air.  Wore a long sleeve shirt and a windbreaker on my run the other day.  Don't like some of the monsoon cells that have been sweeping through but they only last a short time and then the sun peeks back out through the clouds.

2015-09-03 1:35 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Recon for Badwater?

Leadville? Wasach?

I thought the Rut was a 50K in Montana, http://runtherut.com/

That's not an ultra? Granted, there is a couple of shorter distances to that weekend.

I'd be interested in the vertical K

2015-09-03 1:37 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

I'm stunned everytime I look at Strava and see Ann-Marie running in the afternoon or evening.  I am worthless and weak.

It's generally less unpleasant at lunch than it is after work.  Mornings is out if it's a swim day.  Plus if I run at lunch, I do the first half on the greenway and that's a good thing. Obviously, I'd rather run in the morning but you gotta do what you gotta do!

It actually has been a lot nicer here lately. Only low 90s with mid to low 70s dew point as opposed to a few weeks ago where it was 104 with almost 80 dew point. My HR will actually stabilize on runs now! Can't wait for the first real cool front though!

It's fabulous!!  Our 56 mile bike ride last weekend actually started off with people commenting on how chilly it was    

I love feeling a little Fall in the air.  Wore a long sleeve shirt and a windbreaker on my run the other day.  Don't like some of the monsoon cells that have been sweeping through but they only last a short time and then the sun peeks back out through the clouds.

I'm not ready quite yet! The snow level was at 5K! We got lucky we were done with our trip when we were. Sheesh.

2015-09-03 1:45 PM

Master
Northern IL

I'm not ready quite yet! The snow level was at 5K! We got lucky we were done with our trip when we were. Sheesh.

Had the cool weather a couple days over the weekend, but now it's hitting ~90 again. Really lucked out on the big ride too. High of low 70's or so and overcast all day long.

2015-09-03 5:56 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Had the cool weather a couple days over the weekend, but now it's hitting ~90 again. Really lucked out on the big ride too. High of low 70's or so and overcast all day long.

Man you guys are killing me, I'm just hanging out for days to reach 70. But more than that I can't wait for it to be light at 6am so that I can get outside to run and ride rather than be inside. I just keep telling myself "it's nearly here."
2015-09-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Had my bike fit today. It was really good. It took over 2 hours and I now have a new saddle, stem and bars (pretty much as I expected). My bank account is a lot lighter but my bike is a lot more comfortable. Hopefully we got the saddle selection right and I won't have to go through the process that some of you have. It definitely felt comfortable for the whole time I rode today, which all up was probably about an hour.
2015-09-04 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by StaceyK Had my bike fit today. It was really good. It took over 2 hours and I now have a new saddle, stem and bars (pretty much as I expected). My bank account is a lot lighter but my bike is a lot more comfortable. Hopefully we got the saddle selection right and I won't have to go through the process that some of you have. It definitely felt comfortable for the whole time I rode today, which all up was probably about an hour.

That's awesome! Glad you found someone to do a proper fit. Hope the new set-up continues to be comfortable for you.  Yay!

2015-09-04 10:40 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle
Folks familiar with CO weather:It seems that it's pretty typical for those late afternoon lighting storms to hut the mountains. I realize there are always exceptions and rogue storms but is it somewhat rare for the storms to happen in the am? What is the general time frame (like, be off the mountain by 2 pm etc.) Or, is there a ideal time between seasons (the snow and the lightning )

2015-09-04 11:04 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed Folks familiar with CO weather:It seems that it's pretty typical for those late afternoon lighting storms to hut the mountains. I realize there are always exceptions and rogue storms but is it somewhat rare for the storms to happen in the am? What is the general time frame (like, be off the mountain by 2 pm etc.) Or, is there a ideal time between seasons (the snow and the lightning )

It's somewhat rare for the rain/lightning storms to hit in the morning.  They're mostly like what we experienced at the PPA - they roll into the mountains around 2-2:30.  The farther west you are, the earlier the storms come.  Snow, however, I'm not sure about and I'm not sure about an ideal season either.  Maybe September-early October or May-early June?  With either, there's always the possibility of snow.  For that matter, there's sometimes snow in July, so watching the 10-day forecast for cold fronts is your best bet.  Not much help for long-term planning, though.

2015-09-04 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by StaceyK Had my bike fit today. It was really good. It took over 2 hours and I now have a new saddle, stem and bars (pretty much as I expected). My bank account is a lot lighter but my bike is a lot more comfortable. Hopefully we got the saddle selection right and I won't have to go through the process that some of you have. It definitely felt comfortable for the whole time I rode today, which all up was probably about an hour.

You must be super excited to get out there and ride.  That is a pretty sweet bike.  Nothing like a new bike to motivate you.

2015-09-04 11:29 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by Asalzwed Folks familiar with CO weather:It seems that it's pretty typical for those late afternoon lighting storms to hut the mountains. I realize there are always exceptions and rogue storms but is it somewhat rare for the storms to happen in the am? What is the general time frame (like, be off the mountain by 2 pm etc.) Or, is there a ideal time between seasons (the snow and the lightning )

It's somewhat rare for the rain/lightning storms to hit in the morning.  They're mostly like what we experienced at the PPA - they roll into the mountains around 2-2:30.  The farther west you are, the earlier the storms come.  Snow, however, I'm not sure about and I'm not sure about an ideal season either.  Maybe September-early October or May-early June?  With either, there's always the possibility of snow.  For that matter, there's sometimes snow in July, so watching the 10-day forecast for cold fronts is your best bet.  Not much help for long-term planning, though.

Nah, that is great. I totally get there is no way to predict what kind of winter we have and then how early fall weather strikes. I just wanted a ballpark and that is perfect!

OMG scheming....

2015-09-04 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm planning a trail HM middle of October which is close to where I live.  I've done the race the last two years but they changed the course to be two laps instead of winding all over the place.  I ran the loop last Friday and my heart rate went through the roof on some of the climbs.  It is about 1,100 ft. of climbing per lap.  The climbs are not long but very, very steep and frequent with the descents steep and fairly technical so hard to make up time, kind of a crazy roller coaster.  There is about 1.5 miles of flat per lap too.

I decided to dust off my heart rate monitor and see if I could better manage my heart rate.  I have worn it all week and have learned a few things.  This afternoon I go back for round two.  I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off walking the steepest parts (not that I can run up much faster than I can walk) and hitting other parts harder or parsing out as evenly as possible over the whole thing.  I'm going to run the loop once a week fairly hard and try different approaches.

2015-09-04 11:41 AM

User image

Seattle

I'm planning a trail HM middle of October which is close to where I live.  I've done the race the last two years but they changed the course to be two laps instead of winding all over the place.  I ran the loop last Friday and my heart rate went through the roof on some of the climbs.  It is about 1,100 ft. of climbing per lap.  The climbs are not long but very, very steep and frequent with the descents steep and fairly technical so hard to make up time, kind of a crazy roller coaster.  There is about 1.5 miles of flat per lap too.

I decided to dust off my heart rate monitor and see if I could better manage my heart rate.  I have worn it all week and have learned a few things.  This afternoon I go back for round two.  I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off walking the steepest parts (not that I can run up much faster than I can walk) and hitting other parts harder or parsing out as evenly as possible over the whole thing.  I'm going to run the loop once a week fairly hard and try different approaches.

Good luck, let us know where your experiment lands you

2015-09-04 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

^^^^^ yup

2015-09-04 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I received an email for a 5k trail run on a local high school XC track in a couple weeks. I think it would be a fun experience so I'll probably do it.

The following week is both the Santa Fe run (up 6 mi, down 6 mi) and the Denver Hot Chocolate (5k or 15k). Leaning toward Santa Fe on that one buuuuut I'd have to drive to Denver right after. OTOH, if I do the Hot Chocolate 5k it's an easier race after which I would have to get in a car and drive home

2015-09-04 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 5-6
Chris - Venice YMCA Triathlon  on Saturday
Jen - Disneyland Half Marathonon Sunday
Kate - Buffalo Stampede 10 Mile Run on Monday

2015-09-04 11:58 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

September 5-6

Awesome races y'all!!!!!!!!!!

Chris - Swim like sharks are chasing you, ride like you stole it and run like the wind

Jen - So jealous. Have fun and enjoy the happiest place on Earth

Kate - Um... don't get run over by buffalo!!!!!!!!!

2015-09-04 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

September 5-6

Short, but sweet group of racing Manatees this week!  Go, go, go!!

2015-09-04 12:43 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I received an email for a 5k trail run on a local high school XC track in a couple weeks. I think it would be a fun experience so I'll probably do it.

The following week is both the Santa Fe run (up 6 mi, down 6 mi) and the Denver Hot Chocolate (5k or 15k). Leaning toward Santa Fe on that one buuuuut I'd have to drive to Denver right after. OTOH, if I do the Hot Chocolate 5k it's an easier race after which I would have to get in a car and drive home

Do the Santa Fe - you know you want to!

DH and I just signed up for races next Sat.  He's doing a 30 mi. all-kinds-of-terrain bike ride and I'm doing a hilly 4 mi. run, both put on the same day at the same place.  I've come down with a major case of lackofmotivationitis so having another race in a pretty and challenging venue will be good for me.  I've been wanting to race with him and am glad to see him signing up for something, even if it isn't the same race I'm doing.  He's planning to do MTB Rebecca Rusch's Rebecca's Private Idaho 100 mi. ride next year so this race will be a good mini-practice ride to get him started.  Ain't NO way I'm gonna do RPI but I'll be happy to sherpa for him.

2015-09-04 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Do the Santa Fe - you know you want to!

DH and I just signed up for races next Sat.  He's doing a 30 mi. all-kinds-of-terrain bike ride and I'm doing a hilly 4 mi. run, both put on the same day at the same place.  I've come down with a major case of lackofmotivationitis so having another race in a pretty and challenging venue will be good for me.  I've been wanting to race with him and am glad to see him signing up for something, even if it isn't the same race I'm doing.  He's planning to do MTB Rebecca Rusch's Rebecca's Private Idaho 100 mi. ride next year so this race will be a good mini-practice ride to get him started.  Ain't NO way I'm gonna do RPI but I'll be happy to sherpa for him.

Awesome! Is he doing the whole training thing or "just" the century?

Sounds like a fun race for next weekend. Where is the race?

I was just looking at the Santa Fe race location. I'd considered doing a short recon run today but it's way way out of town so I'll wait until I have a longer run on tap.

2015-09-04 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

The XC race sounds like it would be a lot of fun.  There is a big high school XC invitational up here where they have an open race and I always thought it would be fun to relive my glory days.  I was undefeated in my first year of high school XC before tearing my hamstring many, many years ago.  I was never quite the same.

2015-09-04 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Racing Manatees!!!

September 5-6

Good luck racers.  Race smart and stay safe.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66200 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27810 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11769 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36918 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66015 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.