General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me spend money! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-25 8:12 PM

Bismarck, ND
Subject: Help me spend money!
I own http://2011.feltracing.com/USA/2011/TT-TRI/TT-TRI-Series/B16-.aspxThis bike. A 2011 Felt B16.

Right now, I only have 1 bottle holder on the frame and nothing else on it. Up until this year, I only did sprints and I really didn't need to add to it. Now that I have increased my mileage, I need some help.

What am I looking for:
adding enough hydration to get through a 60-70 mile ride. I really don't think I would do an IM in the next 3 years.
storage for tires and supplies
nutrition storage and a place for my phone that is easily accessible.

I don't have a lot of money but am willing to put some money into my bike this year. I can't see myself spending money on Zipps but I would take suggestions that you think would help my bike performance.

My bike is almost all factory except an adamo road saddle. I have looked at lots of different sites but there are so many options that I just have no idea where to start. Mostly, I need the hydration everything else would be for fun.

2015-05-25 8:39 PM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Help me spend money!
Profile Design makes a nice dual rear water bottle mount that fits well behind a tri bike seat. You could also add an aerobottle for more water. Depending on how long it takes you to ride 60-70 miles, that might be enough to be self-sufficient if needed. (It was enough for me for a HIM with heat index in the 90's.) There are also some nice aero "bento box" type boxes to hold nutrition and tools. I think the hard ones are more aero; I just use my old one with velcro straps. Some people also put tools, spare tubes, etc. into a spare water bottle if they don't need all the bottle mounts. In my case I do need all the bottles for long rides (I have to be self-sufficient), so I secure spare tubes/CO2 to my seatpost with heavy-duty rubber bands; if no CO2 available I've rigged up a way to carry a mini-pump under the top tube.

Would send a pic but my tri bike is packed up for shipping right now--too lazy to get it unpacked, rebuilt, and then pack down again when I leave for the US in two weeks, so have just been training on my road bike. It's a Cervelo P2 so probably a similar setup would work for your bike. Due to the size I can't get a second bottle mount on the frame (except for behind the seatpost); you might be able to on a larger bike.
2015-05-25 9:01 PM
in reply to: #5117987

User image

Franklin, TN
Xlab is another popular brand for rear hydration/storage. I have a Xlab wing on my Felt DA4 that will hold 2 bottle cages. I use 1 cage for hydration and I'm planning on picking up a canister (Xlab offers 2 sizes in storage canisters) for my flat kit.

For between the arms hydration you can go cheap and simple (install a bottle cage between the aero bars and use a regular water bottle) or go with one of the BTA systems offered by Xlab, Profile Design or Torhans. I use the Xlab torpedo system since I can take a sip from the straw without moving around very much.
2015-05-25 9:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Going to post a picture of my B16

Basically, I went with an "aero bottle" (link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A437FGU).and cut it out and tossed in my tire levers and c02 tap or whatever it's called. I can also toss my phone in there. Well I could but my new phone is bigger and I haven't tried yet. I then got the Xlab thing, which holds 2 water bottles and then the C02 add-on, which holds 2 C02 canisters but i only use it to hold one. It also holds 2 spare tubes at the end via velcro. I can carry 2 water bottles, which is enough to get me to the aid stations for sure. I don't see a point in having 10 pounds of fluid with me and this I live off the course after I use my 2 up. All that extra weight isn't going to help.

Edited by Blastman 2015-05-25 9:18 PM

(barn.png)

Attachments
----------------
barn.png (820KB - 6 downloads)
2015-05-25 9:30 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

that thing on your butt is probably costing you a second per km.  bottle between the arms filling in the gap is the way to go

2015-05-25 9:49 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by dmiller5

that thing on your butt is probably costing you a second per km.  bottle between the arms filling in the gap is the way to go

Cervelo does not agree with you (this is older data but still posted on their site)

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/hydration-and-aerodynamics.html

2015-05-25 9:54 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Perhaps but refilling an aero bottle is not free time either. This setup works for me. Sometimes I'll need 1 to 1.5 water bottle between aid stations (heavy sweater) and most aero bottles would not equal 2 normal water bottles.
2015-05-26 7:05 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by GoFaster

Cervelo does not agree with you (this is older data but still posted on their site)

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/hydration-and-aerodynamics.html

Everything I've read on the rear hydration seems to be all over the place. I think aero number for it are mostly dependent on individual set up. From the CFD data I've seen I'd say he was losing just as much with the pocket on the back of his shirt.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me spend money! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best money spent on helping improve the engine

Started by TriSte
Views: 1585 Posts: 15

2011-12-10 8:27 AM Gritty

Help me spend my birthday money!

Started by MacMadame
Views: 681 Posts: 9

2009-08-12 9:47 PM losta

How Much Money Have You Spent On Training? Pages: 1 2

Started by Shannon3
Views: 2052 Posts: 42

2007-04-28 10:57 AM Bill

Having a really hard time spending my bike fund money

Started by jase714
Views: 2043 Posts: 21

2007-03-05 9:48 AM davidb

Help me spend some money

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 922 Posts: 4

2005-03-21 11:24 AM jmf-tt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : May 1, 2006
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.

date : January 1, 2006
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.