General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diamonds in the rough Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-25 8:22 PM

Subject: Diamonds in the rough
Just did Bear Lake Triathlon last week. Turned out to be a great venue. So tell me about other races that are hidden gems and fun to do. Looking to do a few different ones this year ending with festival of races for first time.

2015-05-26 7:30 AM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
Subject: RE: Diamonds in the rough
I did the Petoskey race last year and thought it was one of the prettiest courses I've seen. Throughout a lot of the bike course, you could see the bay, which is beautiful and during a lot of the run, you ran along a paved trail that followed the Bear River. Plus, if you love riding hills, this course was full of big ones.
2015-05-26 9:14 AM
in reply to: LJonesCPA

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by LJonesCPA

I did the Petoskey race last year and thought it was one of the prettiest courses I've seen. Throughout a lot of the bike course, you could see the bay, which is beautiful and during a lot of the run, you ran along a paved trail that followed the Bear River. Plus, if you love riding hills, this course was full of big ones.

I'll definitely have to look into that. Sounds great.

I like the West Michigan Triathlon in Fremont. It's very small, and would be great for a beginner. I think they cap it off at like 200 people, and they start 3 waves, 2 of which are 75 people and another with 50. The swim is really short (I actually prefer a longer swim). If you know people looking for a nice friendly atmosphere to try out a tri, this is a good one. There's a few really fast people, but the atmosphere isn't ultra competitive.

And Ludington - I wouldn't say it is a hidden gem, but it is a great course. Flat and fast. Water is protected by two piers, so even though it is in Lake Michigan, it is smooth.
2015-05-26 9:56 AM
in reply to: #5117991

User image

The city of New Baltimore puts on a good race in Anchor Bay. It's been a number of years since I did it, but I'm probably doing it again this year.

It's an odd sprint distance (1/2 mile swim; 11 mile bike; 3 mile run).

It's well organized, flat and there's good community support (people cheer you from their lawns, etc).
2015-05-27 8:17 AM
in reply to: #5118093

User image

I second the Petoskey race. My parents have a place about 400m from the finish so it worked well for my first Tri. Of course, I'm a sucker for Petoskey and will take any excuse possible to go up. I would also recommend bike rides like Zoo de Mack (Zoo bar at anyone Highlands up to Mackinaw City) and the fall ride through the tunnel of trees. I rode 119 from Petoskey to Cross Village (eat at Legs Inn) last weekend and it's one of, if not the most, scenic rides in the state.
2015-05-27 2:04 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

I am definitely going to look at Petoskey. Thinking about Cadilac also. Ludington is on the radar depending on how Steelhead goes. Want to mention Allegan has one at the end of July and is actually a nice race. It is on a Tuesday night so it breaks up the typical weekend routine.

2015-05-28 6:22 PM

I really enjoyed Greenville last year. The water was pretty clean, the bike was fun and the run is basiclly around the lake. The wife and kid said it ws nice from a spectator view point. The best part, at least for my schedule was it's a Saturday race.

Joe
2015-05-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Expert
They have revived the old Hubbard Lake triathlon in Mid August. Hubbard Lake was one of the originals started in the early 80's Then took a 5 year hiatus and then restarted 3 years ago. It's a fun and challenging race, the swim is in crystal clear water. The ride goes around the lake including the steep side of Mt. Maria (pronounced Mariah the original developer did not spell well).
2015-06-10 6:49 AM
in reply to: #5118339

I think Cadillac has a great course for a smaller race. The Olympic has a few bigger hills on the bike to keep you focused and the run around the lake is great, pancake flat and can see people the whole way. Ludington would be my favorite race for great views and a fast course. One really out of the way race was up in the UP in Grand Maris, not sure they even have it anymore, it was tiny but a great location.
2015-06-10 7:19 AM
in reply to: #5121603

Boyne City Labor Day weekend. Beautiful venue, great course (run is a little hilly). There is a sprint, oly, and du.
2015-08-17 12:56 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by MSU_Brad
Originally posted by LJonesCPA I did the Petoskey race last year and thought it was one of the prettiest courses I've seen. Throughout a lot of the bike course, you could see the bay, which is beautiful and during a lot of the run, you ran along a paved trail that followed the Bear River. Plus, if you love riding hills, this course was full of big ones.
I'll definitely have to look into that. Sounds great. I like the West Michigan Triathlon in Fremont. It's very small, and would be great for a beginner. I think they cap it off at like 200 people, and they start 3 waves, 2 of which are 75 people and another with 50. The swim is really short (I actually prefer a longer swim). If you know people looking for a nice friendly atmosphere to try out a tri, this is a good one. There's a few really fast people, but the atmosphere isn't ultra competitive. And Ludington - I wouldn't say it is a hidden gem, but it is a great course. Flat and fast. Water is protected by two piers, so even though it is in Lake Michigan, it is smooth.

I think I'd say the Ludington bike course is mainly flat with some rollers (if not short hills) vs. flat...   If you are using MiTi as the benchmark for hills then I suppose I could agree Ludington is flat...

Greenville is a good one, Bostwick Lake on the 4th of July weekend is a good one too.  Very low key, small numbers etc.

2015-09-02 3:24 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Ill be doing the Hawk Island Tri on the 13th this month. Ill update you after the race. I think this is the first year they introduced the Olym distance. Should be fun.
2015-09-09 6:47 AM
in reply to: jckcrlln

I was going to do the Hawk Island as well, but the swim is only 1K for some reason. I ended up doing the Island Lake Tri this past weekend instead. Fun event, most of the top folks we're at Belle Isle so it wasn't intimidating for a first timer like me.

Have a great time!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diamonds in the rough Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Diamond Lake Open Water Challenge : Official Thread

Started by hamiltks10
Views: 1015 Posts: 1

2009-09-18 7:57 AM hamiltks10