General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Workouts the week before Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-26 12:57 PM

User image

Subject: Workouts the week before Tri
My first sprint triathlon is June 14th. I can't believe its right around the corner!!!

When do you begin to taper the workouts? Two weeks before? Any suggestions on which workout (swim, bike or run) should be the last one?

Sincerely, nervous as hell!!

2015-05-26 2:25 PM
in reply to: interspace8

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Workouts the week before Tri
If you're pretty fit to start with, and not feeling overly tired from your training, a one week taper should be good enough. If you're feeling really worn out, or these distances have been a challenge for you, you might want to start backing off a little earlier so you know you're fresh and recovered.

Before my first tri, I hadn't planned on doing any workout the day before. But I was so anxious about the swim leg that I went to the pool the day before my race and did easy laps for a little while to remind myself I knew how. Just helped me relax a little. Whatever you think will help you loosen up, relax, and build confidence should be your last workout...Just take it easy so you don't wear yourself out! (Hard to do sometimes if you're feeling really energetic because you're tapering!)

Now go get it!!!
2015-05-26 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

How long you taper depends on how tired you are from training (how much accumulated fatigue you're carrying).  The simplest way to explain it is if you don't feel tired at all, then you don't need any taper.  If you're a little tired, then a couple days to a week.  If you're been training like a freak of nature, so tired you can't see straight, and can't think about anything except sleep and food, then 2+ weeks may be optimum.

In any event, you should't reduce the intensity of your training.  Instead, reduce the duration of the training sessions, but maintain the intensity similar to what you anticipate racing at.

I like to schedule a complete rest day 2 days before the race, and do a short bike-run brick at race paces the day before.

Have fun!

2015-05-26 7:37 PM

User image

It really depends on your fitness and body ability. I usually take three days. I usually do a short swim a day or two before because I lose my technique if I don't keep it refreshed.
2015-05-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: #5118181

User image

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom! I think i might swim 2 days before and leave the rest alone. A couple days rest from running has always ends up in better runs for me.
Still nervous....but excited.
2015-05-27 9:25 PM

Just remember, nothing you do the week of your race will improve your fitness for it, so just focus on not doing too much and coming in as fresh as possible. As to which workouts when, for a Saturday race. . . I'll usually do a swim on Monday, run on Tuesday, bike on Wednesday, off Thursday, and a very short bike/run brick Friday morning.

I think we all still get nervous before a big race. Good luck.

2015-05-28 1:00 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Thanks!
2015-05-28 1:05 PM

, Idaho
Like was already posted, nothing the week of the race will not build your base or fitness, that should all be done. Make sure you feel a ton of energy and that you go into race day wanting to explode because you've been holding back. The point of a taper is not only to shed fatigue, but also to focus on race specific workouts.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
2015-05-28 2:03 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by d.wilk Like was already posted, nothing the week of the race will not build your base or fitness, that should all be done. Make sure you feel a ton of energy and that you go into race day wanting to explode because you've been holding back. The point of a taper is not only to shed fatigue, but also to focus on race specific workouts. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Re: the bold...sort of.

Race specific training (training sessions designed to prepare the athlete for a specific event by focusing on specific intensities, durations, terrain, weather conditions, etc.) should have occurred in the weeks leading up to the race.  Tapering can be one last time to sharpen skills like transitions and open water navigation plus serve as a reminder of what anticipated race paces feel like, but otherwise, they are going to be less race specific than what occurred during the build.  By that time, the hay is already in the barn.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Workouts the week before Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two Tri's In Two Weeks w/ One week of Training

Started by XCtoTri
Views: 2427 Posts: 13

2012-08-13 11:55 AM XCtoTri

Stepping down workouts a week prior to tri

Started by gti123
Views: 884 Posts: 6

2010-04-26 8:59 AM Lilac J

# of workouts per week

Started by vonrunner
Views: 1374 Posts: 16

2006-05-25 5:51 PM southwestmba

11 Weeks to Oly and I need a Workout Program

Started by yojimbo
Views: 654 Posts: 5

2005-08-23 11:50 PM yojimbo

how many workouts a week? Pages: 1 2

Started by trilover
Views: 2347 Posts: 33

2004-03-27 1:05 AM MTBTRIGUY
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.