General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chlorine allergy ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-27 9:26 AM

User image

Subject: Chlorine allergy ??
Every year I put off beginning my swim training b/c pool time always leads to a sneeze-fest and non-stop itchy nose the following day. I do have some seasonal allergies, but after 3 years, I've noticed very specific worsening of allergies during the days after I've been in the pool. The main tip I've seen so far is to wear nose clips when I swim, but that won't work b/c I have a nose ring. Even taking the ring out, chlorine water would get thru the pierced hole (sounds creepy/gross but it's true).

Any other advice? Is it actually the chlorine, or am I just insane?

So far I'm just popping zyrtec, but that's not really doing much. This is one of the reasons I tend to lean towards doing duathlons - less pool time!

THANKS!

2015-05-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: stephgob

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Chlorine allergy ??

Originally posted by stephgob Every year I put off beginning my swim training b/c pool time always leads to a sneeze-fest and non-stop itchy nose the following day. I do have some seasonal allergies, but after 3 years, I've noticed very specific worsening of allergies during the days after I've been in the pool. The main tip I've seen so far is to wear nose clips when I swim, but that won't work b/c I have a nose ring. Even taking the ring out, chlorine water would get thru the pierced hole (sounds creepy/gross but it's true). Any other advice? Is it actually the chlorine, or am I just insane? So far I'm just popping zyrtec, but that's not really doing much. This is one of the reasons I tend to lean towards doing duathlons - less pool time! THANKS!

I have something similar and have found that taking a long-term nasal spray like Nasonex has worked.  Recently, I switched to Flonaise since that is over the counter now.  As long as I use it every day, it seems to help.

2015-05-28 8:33 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Cypress, Texas
I'd recommend doing a sinus rinse after your swims.
2015-08-19 4:22 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I was having the same issue:  sneezing and runny nose for about 12 hours after swimming.  I keep a bottle of compressed saline spray in my swim bag and do a good rinse after my swim.  No issues since.

2015-12-12 3:59 AM

Have you tried a different pool?
Some pools aren't maintained properly.
Some are just dirty and smells so strongly of chlorine that you know you'll get sick.
2015-12-12 7:18 PM

Antihistamine beforehand + vasoline up the nose. Shower off immediately after. Sinus rinse as soon as you get home. Open water swims once it's warm enough.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chlorine allergy ?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Giving up lap swimming in favor of ows only - chlorine allergy?

Started by Recovery
Views: 991 Posts: 1

2013-09-27 10:37 PM Recovery

Chlorine wrecking havoc on skin

Started by Princess_Megz
Views: 1801 Posts: 19

2007-01-23 10:43 AM TheSchwamm

latex allergy?

Started by autumn
Views: 986 Posts: 11

2006-08-21 5:12 PM autumn

Sunburn and Chlorine

Started by kaqphin
Views: 7896 Posts: 5

2005-12-05 12:14 PM jwbrandon

Chlorine allergies

Started by iankeane
Views: 825 Posts: 1

2004-11-23 2:58 PM iankeane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 3
I was a bit skeptical since regular body wash and shampoos don't really seem to do the trick. But it really works!