General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Wetsuit Rental + Swim Cap - Advice Needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-28 9:22 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: First Wetsuit Rental + Swim Cap - Advice Needed

So tomorrow I pick up my rental suit for my sprint in 9 days. Saturday I will have a chance for a chilly dip in Lake Ontario to practice with it.

The suit is a nineteen pipeline and it s the first time I will have swam in a wetsuit since surfing as a teenager (20 years ago).

I feel fairly comfortable with the plan to get the thing on. My first concern is the issue of my timing chip. I like to wear it low on my ankle, at the slimmest part so that it does not get loose. However down there it will be below the leg line of the suit and I dont want any snagging issues. Any tips on this? I plan to practice this weekend with finding the zip and working out how to get it down off my shoulders as I run up to T1. But this will be pointless if I cant get the leg off over my chip with cold hands.

Second. In my surfing days we would lube around the back of the armpits, sid eof neck and the tops of shoulders to stop any chafing from when we paddled. Probably vaseline then but now I use bodyglide. I am guessing that the tri-specific suit I will have will have much better flexibility. Should I still be looking to body glide around the neck? armpits? anywhere else? to help get used to it? Any other typical hotspots?

My other issue is that I used a previous swim cap from an event last year at the pool the other day. Any hints for stopping the stupid thing from rolling up off my head?? I wear it over my goggles as I dont want to loose my goggles at any point. But due to my massive cranium the cap twice got loose after 6-8 laps and was more bother than benefit. One size fits all does not fit all.

2015-05-28 9:59 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: First Wetsuit Rental + Swim Cap - Advice Needed

I always body glide the back of my neck and under my armpits as those are the areas that tend to chafe for me.

For the timing chip on the ankle, you just figure it out.  Some chips/straps are thicker than others and cause more grief, some don't.

I've got nothing on the cap - I hate those things.

2015-05-28 10:08 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa

I always body glide the back of my neck and under my armpits as those are the areas that tend to chafe for me.

For the timing chip on the ankle, you just figure it out.  Some chips/straps are thicker than others and cause more grief, some don't.

Honestly don't know what I can do about the cap. Whats the worst that can happen?

Come out of the swim....

Official: "where is your cap?"

Me: "It came off and I couldnt go back for it."

Must happen a lot, right?

2015-05-28 10:46 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Technically it's abandoning equipment but it seems like the kind of thing that wouldn't get enforced.  Now if you took it off and dropped it on the ground on the way to T1, that's another story.

2015-05-28 10:58 AM

User image

I've had caps come off in at least two races and haven't been dinged for it.  Maybe they just eye up your cranium size and decide on penalty.   Half of the races I do the caps are so cheap they rip anyway.  One of the races where I lost it was due to tearing and coming off mid swim.  If you're really worried about it try a few swims with goggles over it.  I don't believe I've ever had a problem that way.  Also the more you can stretch it out and get it down over your ears helps.

2015-05-29 7:29 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
if the race cap comes off I would just tell the officials as you exit the water. I've actually once lost my timing chip during the swim (I have small ankles, the strap was too big, and I think it came off as someone swam over me or slapped my ankles. Bought my own adjustable strap after that. One size doesn't fit all for either end of the size range!) Again, if that ever happens, report the problem as soon as possible so they know you're legit (or, if your chip came off, they can make sure you're manually timed.) Remember, your race number is marked on your body and you also have a race number waiting for you in transition, so it's not like you're an unknown quantity.

2015-05-29 9:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

I put tri glide on my neck to avoid chafing, and around wrists and ankles to help get my suit on and off.  Get the arms and legs up higher than you think you will need.

ETA: Lake Ontario in May: Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. 

Edited by IronOx 2015-05-29 9:04 PM
2015-06-15 12:20 PM

U can find all this swimming stuff here http://www.proswimwear.co.uk/. My friend often orders on that site and I have never heard that he complains on something. Good luck)
2015-06-15 8:54 PM

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a

Originally posted by axteraa

Honestly don't know what I can do about the cap. Whats the worst that can happen?

Come out of the swim....

Official: "where is your cap?"

Me: "It came off and I couldnt go back for it."

Must happen a lot, right?

I read a blog post the other day where someone got a time penalty for losing their cap on the swim. I think if it does start to come off you may want to consider shoving it down your wetsuit.

If your cap is rolling up your head you may want to try different brands/materials. Then when you find one that works for your head buy it in a bunch of colors and wear that instead of the one they issue to you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Wetsuit Rental + Swim Cap - Advice Needed Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim cap advice

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 874 Posts: 6

2013-12-08 5:47 AM Hot Runner

First Swim in a Wetsuit - First Swimming Lesson

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1549 Posts: 7

2010-06-07 1:43 PM lvthgme

NEED HeLP - First Tri and need wetsuit

Started by sdl135
Views: 1508 Posts: 4

2008-05-20 8:02 AM nevergivin

Race Cap over Swim Cap

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1385 Posts: 12

2007-01-17 3:27 PM rollinbones

First Sprint Triathlon SWIM Butterflies, need advice?

Started by dajeeman357
Views: 916 Posts: 7

2005-06-07 5:52 PM dajeeman357
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!