General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water Swim near Arlington Heights Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-28 1:05 PM

Arlington Heights, Illinois
Subject: Open water Swim near Arlington Heights
Newbie here. Signed up last week for the twin lakes sprint tri in Palatine. Now I am let's say a little anxious. I have never done open water swim and would like to get some practice before race day.

Appreciate any guidance on the following

#1 Lakes in the area where I could practice.
#2 Will I have to swim all 700 or are there section where I could possibly wade or catch my breath (I am currently able to do 7 sets of 25x4 meter in the pool).

Regards
hpn

2015-05-31 7:12 PM
in reply to: hpn

Subject: RE: Open water Swim near Arlington Heights
Can you swim at Busse Lake in the Schaumburg area? I was going to recommend Centennial Beach in Naperville, but I think that might be just as far as driving out to Lake Michigan.
2015-06-01 6:07 AM
in reply to: hpn

User image

New user

Congrats on signing up! It's a great race - I will be there.

AH really doesn't have any lake options. I am pretty sure you cannot swim in Busse Lake.

A few options:

1. Lake Andrea just across the border. They have a life guarded open water swim option. https://recplexonline.com/aquatics/lake-andrea-beach

2. Grayslake. My coach's group, Summit Steps, meets there every Friday morning (very early). No cost and don't need to be a member. NIce water, beach entry, you can go out as far as you are comfortable going. http://summitstepsmultisport.com/open-water-swims/

3. Together We Tri in Glenview. They have open water swimming in a private lake in the area. Don't know too much about them but I think you can buy a punch card and stop in for a few swims. Worth checking out if you are looking for a more structured intro to open water swimming. http://www.togetherwetri.com/

Hope this helps. Good luck on the race and training.
2015-06-01 8:19 AM
in reply to: sdienhart

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Lake in the Hills this Wednesday, 6-7:30. Guarded swim, 1/2 mile loop swim as much as you want. $5 unless you are signed up for the LITH tri, then free. usually a pretty good crowd.

http://www.lith.org/parksrec/page/splash-dash

2015-06-01 10:19 AM
in reply to: sdienhart

Thank You. I will check out the options.
2015-06-01 10:20 AM
in reply to: cartman1966

Oh great. So maybe I will try and give it a shot this Wednesday after work. Thanks a lot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water Swim near Arlington Heights Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open water swims near Morris?

Started by realtree71
Views: 826 Posts: 1

2010-01-04 1:35 PM realtree71

Runners' High N Tri - Arlington Heights

Started by Radness
Views: 1624 Posts: 8

2015-05-28 1:08 PM hpn

Open Water Swimming - Northern Burbs

Started by gao fei
Views: 827 Posts: 2

2007-06-06 6:58 AM jmcelroy

Open Water Swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by mr2tony
Views: 2205 Posts: 29

2007-06-12 8:32 AM mannyclow

Open Water Swims

Started by mmckinley
Views: 1281 Posts: 5

2006-09-15 8:09 PM trithat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.