General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacing Strategy - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-29 7:24 AM

User image

Subject: Pacing Strategy - Olympic Distance
I have my first Olympic distance tri coming up in a couple of weeks and was thinking about a pacing strategy, on the bike in particular. I did some research and came across an article that recommends using your LTHR and defines the zones as follows (my bike range is in parenthesis):

Z1: 65-78%
Z2: 78-89%
Z3: 89-93% (132 - 139)
Z4: 93-99% (139 - 147)
Z5: 100-102%

I haven't done the test they describe, but several of the 20 minute FTP tests on Trainer Road this past winter consistently put my LTHR at 149. My max (in case it's important) is 180, which was experienced during a race.

The recommended strategy for the bike is to settle your heart rate down to a high Z3, low Z4 for the first 20 minutes. After 20 minutes begin ramping up into the high Z4 range.

For the run they suggest settling your heart rate down to a low Z4 for the first mile, high Z4 to low Z5 for miles 2-4. Miles 4 - 5.5 dial the pace up a bit, definitely Z5 running at a 9/10 effort. Miles 5.5 - 6.2, forget heart rate and give it everything you have.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those more experienced than I? Do you think the Trainer Road LTHR will be applicable? I've tried paying attention to my heart rate on my last few rides and it seems to be within the realm of common sense, but I have no idea what I'm doing

2015-05-29 9:01 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Pacing Strategy - Olympic Distance

The Trainer Road LTHR is probably in the ballpark for use on the bike.  However, you may have to account for conditions.  For example, in very hot or humid weather, using the LTHR estimate you got in cool conditions might have you pushing too hard as many find that those conditions create more stress for their body.  Or perhaps your TR test was in a room with poor cooling.  In which case it might underestimate the HR you can push outdoors in reasonable conditions.  Anyway, that's all part of the 'art' of using HR.

As far as the run, your LTHR from Trainer Road is mostly irrelevant (or at least less useful).  Most people find their running LTHR is anywhere from 5-10bps higher.

For your first oly, unless you have a lot of other racing experience, I would be more conservative on the bike and stay in Z3 for the most part.  Do the same for the first half of the run and then stop looking at your HR from then on.  If unsure about your running HR, just set out on the run easy for the first 1/4-1/2 mile until you 'get your running legs under you' and then set a pace that feels 'comfortably' hard.  If it's still 'comfortable' (relatively speaking) by mile 3 or 4, start to push a little more.

2015-05-29 9:04 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Assuming your zones are correct, that strategy in your first Oly would likely result in a pretty spectacular implosion during the run.  I'd suggest a more conservative approach.  Z3 for the entire bike.  Then Z3 for the first half of the run.  If you're still feeling good, then push it up into Z4.  With 2 miles to go, just try to hang on.

Note that zones for bike and run are normally different, with LTHR on the bike commonly 5-10 bpm lower than on the run.

2015-05-29 9:06 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

The Trainer Road LTHR is probably in the ballpark for use on the bike.  However, you may have to account for conditions.  For example, in very hot or humid weather, using the LTHR estimate you got in cool conditions might have you pushing too hard as many find that those conditions create more stress for their body.  Or perhaps your TR test was in a room with poor cooling.  In which case it might underestimate the HR you can push outdoors in reasonable conditions.  Anyway, that's all part of the 'art' of using HR.

As far as the run, your LTHR from Trainer Road is mostly irrelevant (or at least less useful).  Most people find their running LTHR is anywhere from 5-10bps higher.

For your first oly, unless you have a lot of other racing experience, I would be more conservative on the bike and stay in Z3 for the most part.  Do the same for the first half of the run and then stop looking at your HR from then on.  If unsure about your running HR, just set out on the run easy for the first 1/4-1/2 mile until you 'get your running legs under you' and then set a pace that feels 'comfortably' hard.  If it's still 'comfortable' (relatively speaking) by mile 3 or 4, start to push a little more.

Looks like we were sharing a brain, JK.  

2015-05-29 9:51 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Looks like we were sharing a brain, JK.  

Must have been yours if what I said made sense. 

2015-05-31 1:41 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I will take your advice and aim for zone 3 the entire bike ride. Running is my weakest event so it makes sense to leave something in the tank.

2015-05-31 5:41 PM
in reply to: #5118860

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
That's sounds like a good plan for your first. Remember, if you have a ton left over from the bike you can just kill the last bit of the run. But if you use too much on the bike, it will be a miserable experience and then your mind starts making you run even slower because brains don't work when everything blows up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacing Strategy - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Please tear apart my Half Marathon pacing strategy

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 4835 Posts: 17

2010-03-22 4:13 PM zionvier

Pacing strategies for running?

Started by mkali
Views: 684 Posts: 1

2007-08-06 2:00 PM mkali

Race Day Strategy and Pacing?

Started by bigislandfj
Views: 1658 Posts: 21

2007-06-04 8:46 PM KathyG

Strategy for pacing yourself during a tri

Started by Shannon3
Views: 989 Posts: 14

2007-04-18 12:32 PM 1stTimeTri

Duathlon Pacing Strategy????

Started by Seabiscuit
Views: 1872 Posts: 10

2005-05-19 2:48 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.
date : March 9, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.