General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-30 10:55 AM

User image

Centreville, Maryland
Subject: Road bike questions...
are there any road bikes that are good for beginners but will also hold up long term for longer distance triathlons? any that won't break the bank?

2015-05-30 5:05 PM
in reply to: #5119137

User image

Subject: RE: Road bike questions...
I ride the Nishiki Maricopa. It's a Dick's Sporting Goods brand that retails for $450. I think Dick's website shows it as marked down from $700, but I purchased mine in store in June of 2014, so I think the "mark-downed" price is just a marketing gimmick.

I love mine. I've updated quite a bit on it (new pedals, new tires, clip-on aero bars), and while I haven't yet used it for any long distance tris, I'm planning on doing a HIM with it in October and don't foresee the bike having any problems with the distance required.

I can't say enough good things about this bike. I bought it because I was a rank beginner (hadn't even rode a bike for almost a decade) and didn't know if I'd stay with the sport or not, and couldn't bring myself to pay the $800 or $900 all the LBSs in my area were asking for an entry-level road bike. I'm currently saving up for a new bike, but I'm not planning on purchasing until late 2016/early 2017, so that should tell you how much use I intend to get out of this bike.

http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=5137715...
2015-05-30 5:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Depends on your "bank" but the Trek 1.2 is a very serviceable bike. I trained and raced on one for several years before getting a tri bike at the end of last year. I think mine was $800 new but that was in Singapore--US prices might be lower. Mine has a triple cassette (gears) so nice for hilly rides/races (which I rarely have here). It's not the fastest or most aero bike, but you can improve it by adding aerobars and getting a good fit. I've won a small tri on it, and done 36 minutes for a sprint bike split, which is moving right along for me. I'm faster on my tri bike, but the 1.2 is okay, especially with the bars added. In my experience it's a very comfortable bike; I've done an 85 mile ride on it with no issues. I'd consider it for a HIM or IM if it was hilly with lots of technical descents. It's also held up well to sometimes rough riding conditions here.

If you are willing to buy secondhand, you can usually get more bike for your $. Entry-level bikes tend to come on the market a lot as people get into tri or cycling and upgrade. It helps to know what you're looking for, and something about fit, as well as be able to check (or bring the bike to someone who can check) before buying for mechanical issues that you might have to pay a lot to fix.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-30 6:03 PM
2015-05-31 2:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Centreville, Maryland
Thank you for your responses!

My bank is preferably less than $1,000 -- if I could get under $750 or so, that would be good too!

I've been looking around for a used bike, but need to go check out the bike store here (or the tri store) to get fitted correctly so that I do know what I am looking for!

Edited by EAULL87 2015-05-31 2:10 PM
2015-06-05 3:00 PM
in reply to: #5119137

User image

Centreville, Maryland
Well, I opted for the Trek Lexa S because my husband said we could afford it... lol. It appears to be a very nice bike! Now to get all the awesome accessories to go with it!
2015-06-08 5:15 PM
in reply to: #5120706

User image

Nice! Glad to hear you like your new bike. Happy riding!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike questions... Rss Feed