Total Time = 4h 51m 29s
Overall Rank = 125/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/270
Pre-race routine:

My goal time was 4:51:
Swim= 0:32 (assuming wetsuit legal)
Bike= 2:36 (21.5 mph)
Run= 1:39:30 (7:38/mile and assuming it's going to be hot)

I started in a nice and early wave. There were two waves in my AG and I was in the second starting at 7:20.
Event warmup:

Ran about 10 mins with some pick-ups to race pace.
Swim
  • 37m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was not wetsuit legal. I considered this a good thing because I was worried about a wetsuit in warm water contributing to overheating later. I definitely felt faster this swim than in recent races. It was pretty crowded though so I swung wider than I would have liked for two of the three legs of the triangle. I finished with a 37:27 which was 24th AG. Since I did a 34:39 last year and that was 33rd, I guess a wetsuit is worth 3-4 minutes for a HIM. The average for the rest of the top 10 in my AG was 36:36 but one guy was super fast. Without him the ave was 37:45 so I didn’t hurt myself too much with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Went pretty smooth. My combined transitions were fastest in my AG.
Bike
  • 2h 30m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.26 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started out with a big hill through mile 5 that was a bit tough right out of the gates. But then after that it was fast for a while. I averaged 26.5 going down 64. Throughout the ride I kept thinking that I needed a fast bike to hit my goals so pushed myself the whole time. About mile 30 I started feeling it in my legs. Then as I hit the relentless hills on Optimist Farm and Lake Wheeler my legs really felt burnt. Also, my neck was really sore from being so tight in aero for so long. I’m not sure why it was worse than in the training rides but it was. I got passed by probably 3-4 guys in my AG on the bike. But in general, I was alone most of the time since we started so early. I really pushed myself with the nutrition / hydration. I managed to drink 3 bottles and I lost count but I think I ate about 7 gels. I also ate 2 salt tablets. My bike was 13th in my AG. My official pace was 22.3mph. The rest of the top 10 averaged 2:26 which is 23.0mph so I definitely lost time here.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Saw Dave Williams at cheering at the entrance to T2. I ran a few feet past my spot but realized it quickly so it probably only cost me a few seconds.
Run
  • 1h 39m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good starting the run. A usual I started running too fast. But the Garmin wasn’t getting a good signal so I didn’t know my speed until I finished the first mile, which showed on my watch as 7:20. I made myself back off and I tried to shoot for about 7:40. My official run split for the first 3.5 miles was 7:34.

Like last year, there were very few runners on the course for the first loop of the run. I saw a lot of the pros, including getting passed by the first place female pro toward the end of the first loop. It was warm on the first lap and pretty hot on the second lap. I don’t know what the temp was however it wasn’t as hot as I had feared. It definitely affected me but again, not as badly as I was thinking it might. I dumped ice down my top and shorts. Bill Bass and his wife were hanging out near NC State. It was definitely a nice pick-me-up to see them 4 times, especially the last time. The hills were worse than I remembered. You definitely feel them. I kept wondering how Edmund was doing. He started in the wave ahead of me. I finally saw him when I was coming back from the first lap. It turns out I passed him somewhere because he was behind me. He had a tough day because of a leg injury.

I stuck to 7:40 through mile 6, although my run split for miles 4-6.7 was 7:19. But a lot of that was probably downhill. I was passed by a 3-4 guys from my AG early in the run but I think I passed all of them back as they all either had to walk or slowed down significantly. I also passed most of the guys who had passed me on the bike. But then I was passed at about mile 5 by two guys from my AG. At mile 7 I tried to pick up the pace. But like last year I had a hard time going faster. I focused on keeping the turnover high and keeping my form. I managed to speed up a little on the downhills but I gave it back and then some on the uphills. I had some 8+ min miles. I could see the two guys from my AG a couple of hundred yards ahead and I wanted to pull them back but I just couldn’t. When I saw Bill about mile 10 I was in survival mode. I just focused on continuing to run. But with the end in sight I found some extra energy and managed a 7:27 for the last 3 miles. I finally looked at my total time when I was beginning mile 12 and it showed 4:44. I knew I was on pace to hit or come close to my goal time. As usual, the run down the street and the finishing chute were amazing. And this time was even better because Wendy, Abby, Dave Pulliam (brother in law), and Dawson (nephew) had gotten up early and hurried back from Washington DC, where they had been for a graduation party, to surprise me. They were there to cheer me as I finished. Coach Dave was there cheering at the finish as well. I had eaten 2 gels on the run and took a few swallows of water at almost every aid station through probably mile 10. I finished with a 1:39:52 which was a 7:37 pace. My run was 10th in the AG. Given the heat, I’m happy with my run. I ran a 7:39 last year.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt pretty good immediately after the race, about as well as any 70.3. Dave looked up my results while I was still in the finishing corral and told me I had a 4:51 and was 8th AG. I was really happy! My time was not technically a PR because I went 4:48 at Augusta. But that downriver swim cuts 10 mins off your time, so basically this was a PR. I hit my goal time on the nose and that includes a slower swim because of no wetsuit (I was shooting for a 32 min swim and instead I had a 37 min swim). But I made it up on the bike and basically hit my run goal right on.

I got cleaned up and hung around all afternoon waiting for roll-downs. I even had a couple of beers in a nice cool bar while I was waiting. Finally, roll-downs started about 4:30 and when they got to my AG and I ended up getting one of the two slots for Austria.

Event comments:

Again Raleigh was an amazingly planned and organized race. The volunteers were fantastic. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Last updated: 2015-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:27 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/270
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: The lake was pretty smooth with some light chop.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:30:58 | 56 miles | 22.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/270
My ave HR was 161.
Wind: Little
Course: We had a bit of a tailwind in general. If anything the changes to the course made it hillier.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:39:52 | 13.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/270
Course: The course was heating up. Man, there is no shade on that run. The temp was definitely a factor, especially on the second half. I really felt for the folks who were on the run in the afternoon.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-06-03 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

2015-06-03 12:31 PM
in reply to: #5120152

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh
Man, what a great race! I always like seeing your swim time because I sorta assume mine will be within a few seconds of that! :-) But yeah, I did 37 (I think) in year 1 (no wetsuit), then 33 (?) last year, so also came up with 3 or 4 mins as being the wetsuit advantage. Its nice having some more datapoints to back that up. Your bike was really strong too...and of course being able to keep it together on the run is critical. You are a bit of a 70.3 machine! When is Austria? :-) Congrats Scott... for an old guy with a real job and some kids and a wife you do quite nicely! :-)
2015-06-04 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

Will you be my coach?    You have just killed this race.  Let's train more together; I'll try to keep up on your recovery days.

Great job.

Bill

2015-06-08 7:23 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Scott, great race! You MORE than made up the swim on the bike! I've always known you could bike, though, so I'm going to say that I'm most impressed with the run! It seems that you're over your issues. I want to think that your avg pace was faster than previous efforts...for shorter races!

You're a force to be reckoned, man! Nice job on getting the slot. That should be a great vacation/race/destination!

Looking forward to see how you do!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by soccerpmw15
Views: 1576 Posts: 7

2014-06-03 3:08 PM enders_shadow

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1203 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 9:16 AM La Tortuga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 1858 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 11:12 PM Chunga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1508 Posts: 3

2013-06-03 5:40 PM tarheeltri

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by tarheeltri
Views: 1432 Posts: 4

2013-06-03 5:24 PM tarheeltri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.