General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Bra for First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-03 3:27 PM

Subject: Sports Bra for First Tri
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the BT community and doing my first sprint tri next weekend (I did one last year where I was able to kayak instead of swim)!

I've got a two piece kit, but I'm not sure what kind of sports bra I should wear. And by that I guess I just mean if I can/should where one with pads. I definitely don't want to make things more difficult for myself, but the thought of wearing a thin bra without any padding makes me a little uncomfortable. If that's how it's done, then I'm all for it. Just wanted to seek some advice from experienced athletes.

Also, if you have any suggestions that can be found at a store like Dick's Sporting Goods, that would be super helpful. I'm hoping to pick something up this weekend so I can get a couple practice swims in with it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2015-06-04 7:37 AM
in reply to: AJ182421

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sports Bra for First Tri
It really depends on your size and what level of support you're comfortable with. I'm not that big (34 A or B depending on brand) and get by with the built-in bra in my tri-suit; many women find it's not enough, though. When I do need a bra for biking and running (or if I wear my tri-suit that doesn't have a built-in bra), I usually wear a kind of "sports bra" from Danskin that's sold at Walmart. Nothing fancy but I like it as there are no hooks or anything to rub or scratch, and it comes in different colors. It's fine for me even for a 3-hour ride or 2-hour run. The same brand also has sports bras with more support for larger women or those who just feel more comfortable with a bit more substantial bra. I think the key is to keep anything that might rub (fasteners, lacy trim) to an absolute minimum or avoid it, while getting the level of support you need.

BTW Danskin also makes some really nice women's tri tops with built-in bras and nice colors, which are cheaper than a lot of the well-known tri brands like Zoot, Sugoi, and 2XU. I get mine at REI in Oregon; possible that Dick's might stock them. They run a longer than those brands as well, which is nice if, like me, you're long-waisted and/or don't like tops that ride up and expose the tummy.
2015-06-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Sports Bra for First Tri
As Hotrunner said, the best bra for you will depend on your size. FWIW, I wore a padded bra for my first tri (as homage to my mother who can't stand to know when a woman is cold.) and I wish I had worn a non-padded one. That water stayed in that bra the whole time and added extra weight. And as for the style, I think simple razor back is best for swimming. I have some cuter sports bras with no slipping little straps but I wear them only for running because I'm afraid the straps might not be as comfortable for swimming. Good luck in your tri!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Bra for First Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First time lady triathletes - sports bra?

Started by garga.chamberlain
Views: 7152 Posts: 8

2012-02-27 9:00 AM Mrs Bru

Sports bras under tri suit

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 763 Posts: 4

2005-11-02 12:17 PM vmr719

Sports Bra with Tri Suit?

Started by AlBearAngel
Views: 10189 Posts: 15

2005-05-01 1:32 PM Gwendal

Sports bras recommendations needed LADIES ONLY!

Started by Renee
Views: 911 Posts: 3

2005-03-23 9:39 AM Renee

For women only- sports bra help Pages: 1 2

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 3060 Posts: 41

2006-10-17 7:15 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.