General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Disc/Aero Cover in Windy Race Conditions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-04 11:06 AM

User image

Oakville
Subject: Rear Disc/Aero Cover in Windy Race Conditions

I have searched through some historical BT threads and the consensus seems to be that it has to be very windy to consider racing without a rear disc or aero cover.

I have a sprint this Saturday with winds predicted in the range of 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

Ordinarily I wouldn't think that would be strong enough to worry about racing without the disc cover, but does it change anything if the winds are expected to be directly out of the East and the bike course is predominantly North-South?

I'm a little worried that the 35 mph gusts will be an issue when they're coming directly across the course.

FWIW I'm 165 pounds.

2015-06-04 11:12 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Subject: RE: Rear Disc/Aero Cover in Windy Race Conditions
I've raced my disc cover in high winds with canyons (gusts) Honestly, the wheel that affects your handling is the front wheel, not the back (granted I've got 30 pounds on you) I've been told that the disc will actually improve handling in wind (and will also act as a "sail" as the wind hits it from the side) What front wheel?
2015-06-04 11:26 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by ChrisM I've raced my disc cover in high winds with canyons (gusts) Honestly, the wheel that affects your handling is the front wheel, not the back (granted I've got 30 pounds on you) I've been told that the disc will actually improve handling in wind (and will also act as a "sail" as the wind hits it from the side) What front wheel?

Thanks Chris.  I've heard the same thing that the rear disc will act like a sail and actually give you more stability.  Its the gusts coming at us at a 90 degree angle that I am a little worried about.

I ride a FLO 60 up front and the wheel cover is on a FLO 90 rear.

2015-06-04 12:24 PM

User image

Exton, PA
I did an oly last fall with winds around 15-20 mph and it did not bother me. I had a cover on the back and 28mm deep wheel on the front. I would think if you are used to riding them and very comfortable, it would not be a problem.
2015-06-04 2:07 PM

User image

The disc should help stabilize your handling in windy conditions.  You want the wind to blow your rear wheel more than it does your front wheel the front wheel is where all of your handling is.

I'm around 160 pounds and have raced with a disc in 20 mph steady winds with gusts up over 35 mph.  Not once did I think of getting out of my aerobars.  Yes, you will get blown a little, but again, your front wheel choice is a bigger factor.  I probably would not opt for a 90 mm deep front wheel in those situations.

The two races that I know ban discs are Kona and Cozumel.  I'm not familiar with Cozumel personally, but have raced at Kona (both full and half IM) and understand why they ban discs there.  The gusts up in Hawi can exceed 40 mph and sometimes they blow out of little valleys where you may not have any crosswind one second, and get slammed by a 40 mph crosswind the next second.  Combine this on a descent where you can hit close to 40 mph and it's just a safety concern knowing that you have over a thousand athletes on the course and you don't want them getting blown into each other.  I actually think experienced athletes could handle a disc on that course just fine...but not all triathletes are experienced bike handlers.

2015-06-04 8:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Ontario

North/South bike course this weekend - you racing Milton?  As for the disc I would keep in mind that some RD's will say no disc on a pretty windy day - although they'll let deep front wheels on the course without question.  Happened in Guelph a few years ago, so you may want to bring along your standard box rim wheel for the front if you're forced to remove the cover, cause you wouldn't want to ride the 60 up front and standard box rim on the back (assuming that's what the cover is over).

Keep in mind as well that if you are racing Milton the route is really protected once you're up on the Escarpment.

Edited by GoFaster 2015-06-04 9:00 PM

2015-06-04 10:22 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by GoFaster

North/South bike course this weekend - you racing Milton?  

Racing Woodstock on Saturday.  The forecast has changed over the last 12 hours and is now predicting only 20 km/hr winds in the morning so it should be fine.

The only race where I've seen them actually ban discs was Wasaga Beach a few years ago, but the wind gusts were 60+ km/hr.

2015-06-08 11:51 PM

The rear is never a handling issue; the front wheel is always the limiter.

Where I train we have Kona-style winds sometimes, and handling for the disc is never a problem.

As others have mentioned, a disc will get faster as crosswinds get worse, whereas many other wheels stall out at higher yaw angles.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Disc/Aero Cover in Windy Race Conditions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race in 4 days--windy,rainy-disc cover?

Started by tigers75
Views: 650 Posts: 5

2012-09-25 4:44 PM tigers75

Rear Disc wind conditions

Started by andress2k
Views: 2277 Posts: 19

2011-10-19 11:52 AM Sharkboy

Rear Disc Cover Questions

Started by sandall81
Views: 1256 Posts: 11

2011-09-10 10:09 PM brigby1

rear disc cover - HELP

Started by 3558
Views: 832 Posts: 8

2007-04-17 7:32 PM Cyclingmaniac

Disc covers for rear wheels

Started by nel34
Views: 1621 Posts: 12

2007-02-08 7:59 AM tritank
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : June 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I know that annular tears mean there is a risk for a bigger disc blow-out. How do I continue to train and compete without putting myself at risk for worsening of my injury?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.