General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race numbers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-04 9:09 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Subject: Race numbers?
So - in an effort to not look to stupid at my first triathlon in a few weeks - what are the expectations for wearing a bib or race number? I went to watch a triathlon last week (Over the Mountain), but now I can't even remember if the swimmers had numbers pinned to them or how that works? Also, will my bike have to have a number on it? I'm assuming there is a bib or something to wear during all portions since the timing is done electronically and I'm guessing they have little RFIDs in them or something.

Sorry to ask such a basic question.

2015-06-04 9:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Race numbers?
personally I use a race belt with the number attached to it so I can spin it around back on the bike and to the front on the run. Timing is normally done with a chip on an ankle strap. You will also likely have a number for your bike and possibly your helmet. All the numbers will come in your race packet and normally instructions on where everything goes. At the very worst just watch what others do or even ask a question or 2.

Edited by DaveL 2015-06-04 9:17 PM
2015-06-04 9:37 PM
in reply to: BeachAV8R

User image

US races generally only require you wear the number on the run. Spend a couple bucks on a race belt it'll make your life a lot easier.

Usually you get a timing chip that goes on your ankle to take care of all the timing. You might want to put a safety pin though the timing chip strap to help keep it from falling off.... sometimes the velcro sucks.

You will probably get a number for your bike and possibly for your helmet as well. Occasionally you will get two numbers for your bike. Sometimes the numbers are stickers, sometimes they are crappy pieces of annoying cardboard. If possible put it on your seat post. I bring a mini stapler with me in case the race has the annoying cardboard numbers that come with bread twist ties used to attach said number to your bike.

That said some races provide very specific directions on how they want the numbers done. If thats the case do what you are told.
2015-06-05 8:00 AM

User image

Also, there will probably be a body marking station. I have found some variation in races as to where they mark your body (thigh, back of the calf, arm) and whether they use sharpies or temporary tattoos. Just stand there and let the nice people write all over you. After the race, baby wipes are good for getting it all off without removing your skin.

Depending on the race, it can be very important that your bike and helmet have your number. To make sure that no one is stealing expensive gear, some races have a volunteer stationed at the transition exits after a race. You have to show that your race number matches the number on the bike and on the helmet to get them out of transition.

But like someone else mentioned, if you are confused, just ask someone who looks like they know what they are doing. The logistics of the first race can be intimidating, but once you do it, it will seem straightforward.
2015-06-05 8:33 AM

User image

I will simply agree with the above posters:
1. Get a race number belt - it's a lot easier to wear your number that way
2. You will get body-marked at some point before the race
2015-06-05 11:03 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Before I had a race number belt, I just pinned the number to the shirt I was wearing for the bike and run. I don't have a tri suit, and I've only done pool swims, so I put on a shirt over my swim suit in transition.

For the triathlons here we do have to wear the number during the bike.

It is easier with a race belt, especially if you wear a tri suit.

2015-06-05 11:10 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Also... I hope you're not ticklish... I'm generally not, but it's hard to stand still when they mark my calves...
2015-06-05 1:46 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

My two pennys worth.

Race belt is well worth it if you are in a tri suit. Not really any other way to accomodate the paper number unless you are wearing a 2nd shirt.

Someone will write your number on your arm and calf. Some events put your age group on your calf. Some markers wear off before you are out of the swim. Some last a day or more.

Bike numbers are sometimes ommitted. If they are the sticky kind then be carefull putting them over your top tube as you can create a flap that irritates your legs. Seat tube is ideal if it is allowed and is long enough.

Some elite level events mark the swim cap with a number.

Racing chips are normally ankle worn. Google tips on putting your wetsuit (if you have one) on over the chip to make removing the wetsuit easier.

2015-06-05 3:02 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Thank you sooooo much for the input. I appreciate all the comments and look forward to bumbling my way through my first tri...

BeachAV8R
2015-06-07 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Wearing a number with pins in the water is dangerous and could damage a suit or wetsuit. Like others suggested a belt is best. If its a wetsuit swim I roll the number up and wear it under my suit. Some races don't bother with bibs and just do chip and body marking. (ITU Edmonton AG race for example). Some will have bike numbers as well. Usually the bike numbers are for marshalls but some have a 2nd rfid chip as well.

The ITU Elites usually wear a chip on each ankle to properly break ties on close finishes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race numbers? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

race tomorrow - panic about race number on bike etc

Started by jackjack
Views: 1067 Posts: 7

2006-06-04 9:20 PM jackjack

race number

Started by marina
Views: 1792 Posts: 21

2005-05-26 3:30 PM jldicarlo

Race numbers for the run

Started by tim_edwards
Views: 687 Posts: 5

2005-04-23 9:13 PM triman50

new idea for all those race numbers!

Started by autumn
Views: 564 Posts: 1

2004-09-20 1:33 PM autumn

race numbers - no number belt!!!

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1077 Posts: 6

2004-09-17 10:22 AM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you are going to do a triathlon, you need to know at least some of the basic rules that can keep you from getting hurt or hurting someone else.