General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Swimming help Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-05 6:15 AM

Subject: Swimming help
Hey there. I am getting ready for the ironman timber man half in August and am struggling to gain confidence in swimming. Breathing efficiently seems to be my issue. Bike and run are strong. Any advice on a coach, group, or drill that I could work with would be appreciated. I am on cape cod. Randy

2015-06-05 10:06 AM
in reply to: Rhart

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Swimming help

Welcome to BT!

Some advice that helped me with my breathing  was to focus on fully exhaling when your face is still in the water.  When you feel out of breath it's generally from the build up of CO2 rather than the actual lack of oxygen.

Good luck with your training.

Mark   

2015-07-06 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Randy - Welcome to BT and good luck with the Timberman! I hear it's a great race.

I don't know your back ground - but try swimming as much as possible in open water to prep for the race. It might also help to swim with a group to gain that confidence and get some pointers along the way.

2015-07-07 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
What breathing pattern are you using? Taking a Breath every rotation (counting left, right, breath) or every third? I found for me breathing every rotation helped me tremendously. You should be Releasing the breath while your face is under water. Over time you tend to find out what works and develop patterns and a rythmn stroke after stroke. I swam a 1:11 in my ironman using the left right breath technique. I have always swam this way. Not perfect, but It worked for me. I am not sure if I am using the right technical language, certainly layman explanation.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Swimming help Rss Feed