General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Triathlon Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-05 2:43 PM

Centennial, Colorado
Subject: Olympic Triathlon Nutrition
I know this has been discussed before and I did search old posts. I am getting excited for my first Olympic on Sunday (Crescent moon tri Colorado). What are everyone's thoughts on nutrition for a 3 to 3 1/2 hour Olympic triathlon? I'm 5'9", 225 and my goal is roughly 30 minutes swim, hour and a half bike, and one hour run.

My thought is one double strength accelerade bottle (240 cal I think), one reg strength Gatorade (80 cal?), and water in the BTA bottle on the bike.

They have Gatorade and water at the run aid stations and gel available at the 10K turn around. I plan to take water/Gatorade as I feel necessary on the run. Will taking the gel at the halfway point (30 min) do anything for me before I finish?

I have trained with all of the above nutrition and aside from drinking right before I start the run I don't ever have any stomach issues.

Any nutrition I missing? Should I be taking something right after the swim? More on the bike? I have done a sprint distance in training with only water but I had a bad experience at my first half marathon where I crashed at 10 miles due to nutrition.

Thanks for any help.

2015-06-05 4:08 PM
in reply to: Wrightjoseph

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Olympic Triathlon Nutrition

i'd not take more than 200 calories total on the bike, eat something on the run if you are hungry i guess

you're over thinking it for an olympic distance race

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Triathlon Nutrition Rss Feed